• Buveur D'Air

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Faugheen

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I should add that I can completely understand why people are down on DDS. We’ve all seen enough juveniles disappoint when running in open company, and a degree of scepticism is certainly justified. I just refuse to accept that this was anything like Defi’s true running yesterday.

Maybe he’ll get found out next time too? So be it, if that’s the case, but I’m happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he looked like a shadow of the horse he was only 6 months ago, and I figure something must have been amiss.

This is the life I have chosen. :lol:

The question for me in regards to his 20/1 is not if he'll shorten to the way there, the problem is what chances of even placing in it? Thats why I wouldn't touch him right now, maybe at 33/1 e/w for a value 5/1 place.

If you take a view that yesterday was as good as Defi is, then it's not surprising you would want no part of him to even place in a CH.

As I say, I take the view - right or wrong - that it wasn't his true running yesterday.

It will certainly be interesting over the next few days to see if something comes to light. They examined him after the race and nothing did immediately. Hobbs had also been quite bullish before hand saying he was fit and ready and this looked an easier option than the International last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I didn't knew he won over 17f Cheltenham new course, 3 times, I would've said he lacked stamina. Barry was tucking him behind while the horse was giving signs as if he wanted to go faster and later on once the pace started to increase his energy was about to dry out but the stayers just started to kick in. Combined with another excuse that he needed the run because depending on the quality of horses he gallops at home and being his first run of the season.. that would explain why he took so well with all the racing last term as he was constantly improving his fitness on track. I guess we'll learn more on his the next run over 2 miles as he won't be able to use theses excuses again.

There is another possibility and I did touch on this last season when I had my Charli Parcs fighting gloves on.

Sometimes trainers will get as many races as they can get into a horse when they feel it's possible they won't train on

7 races is a lot or a young 3 to 4 year old horse and that many can take it's toll and they never recover.

Alan King feared that with Katchit and ran him in everything he could....the next season after he won a listed handicap he was let down big time then brought back steady. He was no where near fit at Newcastle but manage to win the Kingwell and the CH.

This could be a case of one day in mind...Hobbs has been known to train them for one specific race like he did with Menorah eg

Last edited:
BDA could walk-over in that!

PS. Assume this should have been posted in Champion Hurdle thread.

Last edited:
Someone is going to tell us that Fighting Fifth winners don't win Champion Hurdles........that is not cast in stone..trust me

Nicky will be rubbing his hands with glee at that turn out..The horse will have had toughers sessions on the gallops at home

Buveur Dair 1/4
Irving 9/2
Flying Tiger 12/1
Mirsaale 33/1
Katgary 66/1

Terrible G1. I bet Newcastle are happy Henderson sent the champ up here, otherwise this would attract no one to the course. You’re right Tanlic, he’d probably do more at home against one of his stablemates.

On a going day Iriving is very tough to beat around there, won it twice hasn't he? I'm not sure the odds reflect reality but I hope BDair wins it cosily.

He did beat 2 very good horses in Arctic Fire and Apples Jade but it's hard to believe either was anywhere near their best.

I certainly wouldn't be laying him with 2 to place that's for sure

Not sure beating Arctic Fire holds any relevance as he was but an embryo at that stage. I also rewatched last year's race and AJ had a horrible passage in the home straight and probably would've won the race without the bad luck. I still think Irving will provide a decent test IF on going day but on reflection probably the odds are right because Irving I now see his form, rarely shows his best.

Hendo was on the other day saying after this he'd go to Christmas Hurdle and was worried that Faugheen might be brought over which I don't think is going to happen unless Mullins goes for the KG with Djak but thats too close to the John Durkan?? Douvan is the only other entry for the KG and I thought thats the plan if losing the Tingle but its only 2 weeks in between races so again very unlikely.

So so easy but interesting to hear Nicky say he was “pudgy” and would definitely come on for it. He was quite fresh there and pulled very hard but that engine is still very much in tact. Kempton next before regaining his crown next March.

Very impressive - he and Faugheen should be disputing favouritism . At this time of the year I would not be keen to take 13-8 Faugheen turning up let alone winning .

Buvi was awesome and no way will Faugheen beat him. The biggest competition to Buvi is who will top the pecking order at Seven Barrows between he and Altior.

Nicky thought Buvi was the better of the two when they first arrived. It might end up his first impression will be proved right by the end of this season

Buveur D’Air won exactly as he was entitled to today, given he had a stone and more in hand of the rest of them. Crazy to write-off Faugheen.

Back