The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

Bit late in the season to start novice chasing, Fist.
Fiver says he goes for the CH first?

I think Grassy owes me a fiver but if he don't pay you God will.

BTW I am talking Nov Chasing next season not this......if he did come back this season you would then have to think they found something and he could be a value bet

BTW I am talking Nov Chasing next season not this......if he did come back this season you would then have to think they found something and he could be a value bet

That's exactly my thinking I'm waiting patiently to hear.

Eh??

Eddie O'Leary, speaking on behalf of owners Gigginstown House Stud, told the Racing Post on Wednesday that Samcro has been diagnosed with a heavy lung infection that will require a ten-day course of antibiotics. He did not categorically rule out the prospect of the Gordon Elliott-trained seven-year-old making Cheltenham in March, but described him as very unlikely to do so.

Certainly explains Christmas anyway contrary to some views expresses here. He couldn’t even manage to beat Tombstone at Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie O'Leary, speaking on behalf of owners Gigginstown House Stud, told the Racing Post on Wednesday that Samcro has been diagnosed with a heavy lung infection that will require a ten-day course of antibiotics. He did not categorically rule out the prospect of the Gordon Elliott-trained seven-year-old making Cheltenham in March, but described him as very unlikely to do so.

Ah right so we'll have another go at 2 miles next season :lol:

Maybe that's just code for 'we're not happy with him so we're sending him somewhere off the radar to pump him full of stuff that will be out of his system by the time we get him back in training again'.

Certainly explains Christmas anyway contrary to some views expresses here. He couldn’t even manage to beat Tombstone at Christmas.

Does it though, or was he ridden in the manner he was, owing to suspected illness?

Rupert on his CH mount

“Whatever we have for the Champion Hurdle, she is the most unexposed. Sharjah has improved out of all recognition, and I’m sure Melon will run in the Irish Champion Hurdle.
“We have to see what gets there first, and then I can worry about that on the Sunday before Cheltenham. If all three horses got there, she would be a tough one to get off — and if she had to go straight to Cheltenham without another run, it wouldn’t bother me.”

She will be the biggest danger he will face. Last two years I was supremely confident of victory. I still expect him to win this year but she will make him pull out the stops I feel.

Undoubtedly the mistake at Kempton cost him his race. Contrary to what Henderson or Geraghty said in the aftermath it did. He reached his peak in between 3 & 2 out where as it would normally be between approaching the last. The mistake was at crucial point in race when taking closer order. About 10 strides later he was revved up beyond his cruising speed, then eased back below that early pace to challenge leader, his stride peaked but a lot earlier than usual.

The graph below shows Buveur D’Airs stride pattern to each hurdle at Newcastle and the 2nd picture shows Buveur D’Air v Verdana blue stride patterns to each hurdle at Christmas. This is really fascinating analysis carried out by racehorsesrace. You can see where BD stride pattern peaked steeply immediately after the mistake and was literally all over the place from there in. That mistake put him completely out of rhythm and his stride pattern peaked way too early.

5c06279e655a60fda35d0d8d5941c427.jpg

e7062d897d328d490d4deadfcb651d8f.jpg

Last edited:
In the last week, Sharjah has gone from 8/1 to 13/2...now out to 9/1 (with Powers NRNB)…..:confused:

Melon has also drifted today...

More and more evidence that Mullins's are under a cloud. Mare today that won bucked the trend but the bumper horse - well backed (as usual I suppose) - trailed him. Might be coincidental. Think he has had three wins since New Years Day.

Tornado Flyer coughing after Lawlors hurdle. Say a few of them are under the weather. Weather is so mild these bugs are doing the rounds.

To be fair, some are definitely running below par but it seems to be mainly the bumpers and novices where they don't have a proper line on where they should be in terms of proven ability. If you look at the weekend races, Blazer ran on strongly enough in the Dan Moore and, in the Moscow Flyer, Harrie ran on strongly after being outpaced whereas Buildmeupbuttercup was too bad to be true. Even today, the mare hung on gamely but the bumper folded tamely.

Thanks DG. Interested to see what hare O’Sullivan Bloodstock enter for Laurina. Presume Charli Parcs will be Buvs.

Last edited:
To be fair, some are definitely running below par but it seems to be mainly the bumpers and novices where they don't have a proper line on where they should be in terms of proven ability. If you look at the weekend races, Blazer ran on strongly enough in the Dan Moore and, in the Moscow Flyer, Harrie ran on strongly after being outpaced whereas Buildmeupbuttercup was too bad to be true. Even today, the mare hung on gamely but the bumper folded tamely.

It’s the same with a lot of stables. Rathhill and Theinval scoped badly after Sandown & Wincanton respectively. Angels Breath gave a few coughs the other morn & missed work. No more coughing & scoped clean then and worked away fine after that. It’s really only when they’re asked at the track that you really find out tho.

Look at Samcro & how deep that lung infection was.

Supasundae will run in the Unibet Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham if the ground is on the soft side according to Jessica Harrington but will be redirected to the Sun Bet Stayers Hurdle if the ground is good

Back