The Two Mile Chase thread

I've heard this time and again. The mans record speaks for itself. Quality imo.

I don't buy the RP, Hezz, and have never followed him, so maybe I'm being unkind.

I'm really only commenting on the Festival ante-post Selections of his that I've seen; namely Arctic Fire E/W and now this Simonsig NRNB bet. It just seems to me that he can't be arsed having a proper look at either market, if this is all he can come up with.

With Simonsig back in full work way wouldn't he tip it as he could very well win the race ?.

No doubting he has the class required if his lordship can turn him out spot on.

Sprinter Sacre now a 4/1 shot was as big as 75 on the machine totally written off by almost everyone
His selections have always been odd in the sense that he tip a lot of has-beens in the hope they will come back to their best....seems to do well out of it.

I don't buy the RP, Hezz, and have never followed him, so maybe I'm being unkind.

I'm really only commenting on the Festival ante-post Selections of his that I've seen; namely Arctic Fire E/W and now this Simonsig NRNB bet. It just seems to me that he can't be arsed having a proper look at either market, if this is all he can come up with.

I know what you mean Grasshopper, that's fair enough (re. the Festival AP selections). To be honest, I haven't read either of his previews for the Champion or QMCC. But as was mentioned previously, he has these deadlines and has to chose something. I feel his reasoning around his selection would make for better reading than the actual selection itself. For sure I agree Arctic Fire ew is hardly thinking outside the box. Nor is Simonsig NRNB. I imagine ultimately he has no strong opinion at this stage and wants to protect the bank. They'd be better off not bothering with his article's this far out if he has no real view, but newspapers have to be sold I suppose.

But I do hear it said about him in general that he's losing it, not so far this season (as he's had a good start), but he is regularly criticised. Personally I thoroughly enjoy listening to him and/or reading his thoughts. His record is certainly a lot better than mine, and better than mine will ever be! I'm sure its better than most judges out there.

You make a fair point Grass and IMO the RP should either scrap or amend (making the races his choice rather than the usual highlights) this regular feature because Segal himself commented a week before they started being published how much he was dreading them because of the Mullins factor.

Too many races where he has to try and come up with something to beat a so-called certainty.

As a general observation, from somebody who reads his column - but doesn't follow his suggestions, I'm growing tired of him starting out every article with "***** is a very short price and will probably win easily BUT..."

Today's was no exception; "The likelihood is that nothing will get near him [UDS]".

Last edited:
How much does Segal get paid for this drivel?
"My feeling is neither SS nor SDG are back to their best"
Really? My missus knows that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He gives an opinion like us all. You can take what you want from it.
To be fair, if we are talking drivel then I'm sure he could find plenty around here.

It's an opinions game, end of.

Agreed. Was staggered when hearing he'd only had a handful of runners this season

Also great to see Paul Nolan getting some weekend winners. Comes across as a top man, plus Noble Prince got me out of a festival hole back in the day....

Last edited:
Agreed. Was staggered when hearing he'd only had a handful of runners this season

Also great to see Paul Nolan getting some weekend winners. Comes across as a top man, plus Noble Prince got me out of a festival hole back in the day....

I've always liked Paul Nolan - even when I was relentlessly doing my conkers on Joncol. Agree it was good to see him amongst the winners.

Not anymore PJ.
Had legs in a few of the fillies that did not not make the cut plus the one destroyed at Downpatrick.
Have not even seen him racing recently.

I was in two of the fillies too, Art prob was too if i remember right

Might look to get involved in something again down the line

Almost everyone assumes that because UDS beat Sire De Grugy further than Sprinter Sacre it means UDS is a certainty.

Timeform have UDS rated 180 plus and give Sprinter Sacre 172.

Of course they are basing that on collateral form which is bordering on criminal in this case imo

I'd love to see UDS try to give 8 to 10lbs to Sprinter Sacre round Cheltenham.

I am the first to admit that Sprinter has lost a few lengths since his return

However I am not that bothered about the Kempton run and Sire De Grugy finishing that close.

Nicky being Nicky will have him in even better shape than he was when winning at Cheltenham by 14 lengths.

Let's say.he turns up in the same form then UDS is going to beat him by 8 to 10 lengths or if you like beat Somersby by 20 plus lengths.

That's a possibility I suppose.

I am willing to bet that Nicky Henderson will have Sprinter Sacre in much better form than he was at Kempton and probably a fair bit better than he was at Cheltenham 1st time out.

Now I could bring up the fact that Sprinter Sacre beat Simply Ned twice as far as UDS did and Simply Ned didn't finish stone last when he did it. But that proves bog all and has no more to do with it than Sire De Grugy running Sprinter close and losing out by 4 or 5 lengths to UDS

What I have done is run Sprinter Sacre against Sprinter Sacre using his recent run and his old ones and yes he's lost a bit but only about 5 lengths from a certain point in the race.
The thing to note is that Cheltenham run was not the QMCC and I'd expect SS to be much fitter

Run his Arkle against UDS's Arkle and he'd have won by half the run in.

That aside if Sprinter Sacre is still travelling 4 out then I'd bet my bottom dollar UDS won't be able to cope with his mid race speed and it will be all over by the shouting by the home turn.

5/1 is absolutely huge for Sprinter Sacre

Looking through the form I notice SDG was rated 1lb above UDS now timeform rate him what? a stone behind him? Someone got it wrong........silly bloody ratings

Back