The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

Doubt it tbh
Christmas Hurdle and Irish Champion I would imagine,
It does put a lot more interest in the race in the coming months though which is excellent.

Irish CH wasn't in his prep last year

they may want to take on NC again this time

WM saying a strong piece of work may have resulted in Faugheen leaving the race behind him

Irish CH wasn't in his prep last year

they may want to take on NC again this time

WM saying a strong piece of work may have resulted in Faugheen leaving the race behind him

Right, Didn't know u meant same prep as last year

I would imagine Graham Wylie certainly wouldn't be shy of taking Faugheen on again.

I would imagine Graham Wylie certainly wouldn't be shy of taking Faugheen on again.

Unless you believe that 1st & 3rd have suddenly found 20lbs+ of improvement, you'd have to accept that was nothing like the real Faugheen we saw today.

Last edited:
I did think Ruby was way too hard on Faugheen who was never going to get there.......not the ideal start to his campaign.

What now of Douvan is the big question? WMP claims he and the owner haven't discussed it yet....what a fooking crock of sh!t that is.

Faugheen was reported as jumping out of his skin but you can't believe a word WMP says....3rd was way too close for that to be Faugheen's form
No doubt in my mind he'll eat NC alive if they meet again.

However his real purpose in life is to give Peace and Co a lead going to the last in the Champion Hurdle :lol:

They only neeed half an excuse to shorten a horse up......NC won't even run in the Champion Hurdle you could bet your life on that

Not so sure about that like
He gives the impression of a grinder but he's definetly got gears
As regards Douvan I doubt Ricci would want his 2 top boys taking each other on.

Form nothing special today, Wicklow Brave holds it down, Faugheen badly needed the run. Peace and Co just looks a monster prospect - he's bound to have faster ground next March than he had for the Triumph and it has to be said NC wasn't all that in the Neptune in what for me was a pretty average renewal.

Triumph horses are not something that I am totally enamoured with. Is P&C better than our Conor?

its a huge step into open company.

NC has a habit of winning.

Wicklow brave closeness is an indicator of Faugheen being off the pace and would be confident he'll beat NC when they clash again

Looking back at last years Champion Hurdle perhaps I am being a bit harsh Fonz.......it was actually a sorry excuse for a Champion Hurdle IMO

With a few injuries and some horses being past their best only 3 horses were rated over 160 in comparison to 6 the previous year.

I don't know enough about Ricci to pass an opinion but if it were me I'd keep him under wraps until Faugheen runs again then decide

NC is one of the slickest jumpers I have seen; he reminds me a little of the Fly.
He is of similar height and build.
Faugheen's jumping has always been an issue, it may well have been the difference today.
Young David Mullins gave him some ride; remember Ruby gave him a similar ride in Deloitte Novice hurdle at Leopardstown and NC was similarly electric.
Under rate NC and this performance at your peril is what I say; it is his fifth Grade 1 over hurdles; only 18 more needed !

Would tend to agree. Because of his flat pedigree/form everyone assumes he'll be a stayer but i'm not convinced. Backed him plenty last year including the Neptune when I was disappointed but thought he didn't stay. Was quick and low over his hurdles and given Ruby's comments in the lead up, Faugheen was definitely ready so you'd have to put this down as improved form. The reigning champ will need to jump better as well, belted another one today.

NC has to be considered a viable Champion Hurdle prospect after today.

Ruby was pretty hard on him but he was closing it seemed?

On a side note, was it just me who thought Faugheen looked as big as a bull? NC looked in much better shape even though I concede that Faugheen is a naturally big horse.

NC is one of the slickest jumpers I have seen; he reminds me a little of the Fly.
He is of similar height and build.
Faugheen's jumping has always been an issue, it may well have been the difference today.
Young David Mullins gave him some ride; remember Ruby gave him a similar ride in Deloitte Novice hurdle at Leopardstown and NC was similarly electric.
Under rate NC and this performance at your peril is what I say; it is his fifth Grade 1 over hurdles; only 18 more needed !

Correct.

Form nothing special today, Wicklow Brave holds it down, Faugheen badly needed the run.

Faugheen did indeed look much heavier pre race than his two stable companions, but I wouldn't dismiss the value of the form on the basis of Wicklow Brave though. He looked fantastic in the paddock and would have been very fit from his flat campaign.

I noticed Faugheen had earplugs in before the race, do they normally do this with him?

He did clip a few today which knocked his momentum. Obviously I wasn't there today but I still maintain he looked huge compared to NC and WB - looked like he was carrying more timber.

I trust today's race is a salutory lesson for all the knob-cheesers who claimed Faugheen as the second-coming, in the same breath as they were dismissing Hurricane Fly's achievements.

GIRFUY.

Back