Today's Fancy

It's an absolute disgrace and they should throw the book at him but at the same time, you can hardly blame Quinlan.

They're running for a cup of tea, you can't make the game pay at that level unless you do get some back from punting.

those quinlan gambles are the stuff of legend. i find it incredible that guys on here can openly mump and moan about racing, when everyone looks for a touch.

there are plenty of people on every forum in the land, who tell ye about todays the day !!!!

im pretty sure cantoris, luke, del boy and the like have all done it on here.

insider knowledge is a wonderful thing, and the people connected with the horse / stable are entitled to WIN one over the bookies who take take take from the industry.

i have a contact who has horses with 2 newmarket trainers, and 2 scottish trainers.

i sure as hell love it when he texts to say that today is the day, but his certainty strike rate isnt the best :lol:

thats the whole nature of racing, when its competitive its great, but the bookies want racing on all day every day, so these things need to happen to pay a few bills.

that whole quinlan stable must be jumping for joy, and if its once a year good luck to them.

i for one hope they are dancing down the hamilton road.

They don't win from the bookies though, they win from other punters as it's a market. The more the bookies get hit by these things, the less value other punters get and percentages on races get higher.

those quinlan gambles are the stuff of legend. i find it incredible that guys on here can openly mump and moan about racing, when everyone looks for a touch.

there are plenty of people on every forum in the land, who tell ye about todays the day !!!!

insider knowledge is a wonderful thing, and the people connected with the horse / stable are entitled to WIN one over the bookies who take take take from the industry.

i have a contact who has horses with 2 newmarket trainers, and 2 scottish trainers.

i sure as hell love it when he texts to say that today is the day, but his certainty strike rate isnt the best :lol:

thats the whole nature of racing, when its competitive its great, but the bookies want racing on all day every day, so these things need to happen to pay a few bills.

that whole quinlan stable must be jumping for joy, and if its once a year good luck to them.

i for one hope they are dancing down the hamilton road.
What an unbelievable load of bollocks.

What an unbelievable load of bollocks.

:D

now YOU must be right.

fact is the gambles were landed, so credit to a smaller stable for getting the job done,

and to all the tom dick and harry moaners who go on about the integrity of racing being compromised.

you lot have never ever been given a horse and backed it :whistle:

GIRFUY

There's a world of difference between saying "Today's the day that conditions favour my horse and I think he'll win" and "Today's the day my horse is going to be trying".

This is taken from the Guardian, what annoys me most is both the stewards acceptance of his frankly, wank explanation and Quinlan's reluctance to actually admit what he's done. He's weak for not standing up and explaining that if you have poor prize money for poor horses then this will happen!

All-weather racing's often unwarranted reputation as a formbook graveyard was shored up at Lingfield yesterday when the Newmarket brothers Mick and Noel Quinlan landed a double with Bishopbriggs and Tell Halaf in the final two races.

Neither horse had been well backed in the morning but suddenly the money came for both during the afternoon – Bishopbriggs won as 11-4 favourite, having been available at 12-1 just half an hour before the race, while Tell Halaf (7-1 into 9-4) was supported at the same time.

Adam Kirby rode both winners, with Bishopbriggs scoring in the colours of his father, Maurice.

Since winning under Kirby at Wolverhampton in January, Bishopbriggs had finished closer to last than first in all eight starts under other riders, often spoiling his chance with a slow start. He had been sent off at 50-1, 33-1 and 40-1 in his last three races.

Yesterday, with his favoured jockey back in the saddle, he leapt out of the starting stalls and was always to the fore before pulling clear to beat Yakama by four and a half lengths. Tell Halaf also won easily, albeit by just a cheeky half-length.

The stewards inquired into both results but accepted the explanations of Noel Quinlan that Bishopriggs had received "extensive treatment for a back problem" since his last run and that the stable had been under a cloud earlier in the year.

Quinlan, who admitted to having had a "very small" each-way double, said: "Our horses have been out of form but they're righ
t again now and, when they're running like that, you've got to have a little go."

This is taken from the Guardian, what annoys me most is both the stewards acceptance of his frankly, wank explanation and Quinlan's reluctance to actually admit what he's done. He's weak for not standing up and explaining that if you have poor prize money for poor horses then this will happen!

All-weather racing's often unwarranted reputation as a formbook graveyard was shored up at Lingfield yesterday when the Newmarket brothers Mick and Noel Quinlan landed a double with Bishopbriggs and Tell Halaf in the final two races.

Neither horse had been well backed in the morning but suddenly the money came for both during the afternoon – Bishopbriggs won as 11-4 favourite, having been available at 12-1 just half an hour before the race, while Tell Halaf (7-1 into 9-4) was supported at the same time.

Adam Kirby rode both winners, with Bishopbriggs scoring in the colours of his father, Maurice.

Since winning under Kirby at Wolverhampton in January, Bishopbriggs had finished closer to last than first in all eight starts under other riders, often spoiling his chance with a slow start. He had been sent off at 50-1, 33-1 and 40-1 in his last three races.

Yesterday, with his favoured jockey back in the saddle, he leapt out of the starting stalls and was always to the fore before pulling clear to beat Yakama by four and a half lengths. Tell Halaf also won easily, albeit by just a cheeky half-length.

The stewards inquired into both results but accepted the explanations of Noel Quinlan that Bishopriggs had received "extensive treatment for a back problem" since his last run and that the stable had been under a cloud earlier in the year.

Quinlan, who admitted to having had a "very small" each-way double, said: "Our horses have been out of form but they're righ
t again now and, when they're running like that, you've got to have a little go."

:lol: LOVE IT

that is the self same response ive heard a million times.
its just absolutely correct in the trainers eyes :rolleyes:

i dont hear any jockey or trainer moaning about the coup.

is it just timeform bloggers,betfair monkeys & racing journalists who complain

is that because they are a different breed. from the real racing fraternity. ?

:p to them

If this sort of thing continues, racing will simply become like BAGS dogs racing where this skullduggery happens every race as the dogs are racing for £28. People moan about not being able to get decent sized bets on horses, well try on BAGS dogs and that's what will happen in racing; stakes will continue to get restricted and the money will dwindle at every point of the chain.

That's why I'm so annoyed about it; I empathise with Quinlan from a financial perspective but at the same time it doesn't mean it's morally acceptable and won't have implications for the industry on a long-term level.

Very interesting 3m beginners' chase at Punchestown today.

Alpha Ridge seems to have gone queer, although Nolan might be coming back to form (witness Joncol, Arklow Ger and Noble Prince).
Royal de la Thinte split Bostons Angel and Elliot's Limerick winner the last day, and is the pick on this year's form.
Ballymak beat Puyol has not been seen since beating Puyol over hurdles, but Elliot has been firing in winners all over the country all week. He was a good pointer.
Some Target has been placed in a couple of okay looking beginners chases and was a decent hurdler.
Gran Torino has form with Oscars Well and Sizing Mexico over hurdles.

Any fancies?

I like Royal De La Thinte, and Secant Star in the hurdle (Jumbo Rio going backwards, imo).

Last edited:
I think On the Way Out is a value alternative to beat the big two in the hurdle race. 8lb swing for a 3l beating in the Hatton's Grace.

Agree about Jumbo Rio, and 11/2 the Kiely yolk is a lot tastier than 2/1 a Mullins horse with nothing but potential to be as good as JR and OTWO

Not sure I agree with the last comment, Bar - I think 141 flatters OTWO to be honest. I'd rather go with the potential of Secant Star, and don't buy into theories that there's something up with Mullins horses this week (not saying that you do either, of course :cool:).

Royal De La Thinte for me too. Alpha Ridge won his graded hurdles over 3m on testing ground through superior stamina and might need an even longer trip over fences.

Unaccompanied is Moyglare's first runner over hurdles for 10 years, and for all I know only their second runner ever over jumps. Her flat form is over 8f on much better ground than she will have today. Normally such horses are lay rather than back.

I'm going to chance a few quid on Silver Shuffle to turn her over.

What am I being blamed for now??

Insider info is of sod all use to you if you can't assess the opposition. You need a trainer who knows what he has, and a formbook man who knows the opposition. Some trainers are both, some are not so good with the form book. We have our horses in a yard that have no interest in gambling which is actually a help as you can get a decent price about their horses all the time......like Gormanstown Cuckoo without two in the maiden hurdle, Quito de La Rocque or Big Zeb. All overpriced. So they don't need to be pulled to make it work.

Unaccompanied looked very good. Natural High was the first horse Moyglare had run in a bumper for a while. Presume it is because the usual buyers like Smurfit and Sinclair are not in the market anymore. Ronan Lambe seems to do his own thing.

What am I being blamed for now??

Insider info is of sod all use to you if you can't assess the opposition. You need a trainer who knows what he has, and a formbook man who knows the opposition. Some trainers are both, some are not so good with the form book. We have our horses in a yard that have no interest in gambling which is actually a help as you can get a decent price about their horses all the time......like Gormanstown Cuckoo without two in the maiden hurdle, Quito de La Rocque or Big Zeb. All overpriced. So they don't need to be pulled to make it work.

Unaccompanied looked very good. Natural High was the first horse Moyglare had run in a bumper for a while. Presume it is because the usual buyers like Smurfit and Sinclair are not in the market anymore. Ronan Lambe seems to do his own thing.

Very good post and the part in bold is especially spot on the money, and why in the main anyone who follows 'inside info' is away with the fairies.

Depends on where the inside information comes from really!

If it's shitty gallop reports about how some Stoute 2yo has been beating Conduit over 7f etc. and said 2yo is 4/7 in a Newmarket maiden on debut, then I'd ignore it all day long.

If it was about how Willie Musson had been stopping a Gallileo three year old colt over 7f and it was in a handicap off 55 round Southwell over 1m2f, I'd take notice.

Depends on where the inside information comes from really!

If it's shitty gallop reports about how some Stoute 2yo has been beating Conduit over 7f etc. and said 2yo is 4/7 in a Newmarket maiden on debut, then I'd ignore it all day long.

If it was about how Willie Musson had been stopping a Gallileo three year old colt over 7f and it was in a handicap off 55 round Southwell over 1m2f, I'd take notice.

i think you can spot the latter without inside info tbh

Back