Today's Fancy

I don't usually like backing at short prices, but I was expecting Cheltenian to be a much shorter price for today's bumper at Kempton (currently 10/11). There has already been some money for it in the Champion Bumper market, but it needs a win on the board to be sure of getting into that race.

Cheltenian veered dramatically left when asked for an effort in the straight on his debut at Punchestown. I have my doubts whether he would have won even if he'd kept a straight line, but even so he is well clear of the others in today's race with previous form.

Second favourite is an Alan King newcomer. Montbazon must be a very handsome individual, because although the pedigree offers little encouragement (it's safe to say that the sire, Alberto Giacometti has not been a success) he cost £28,000 at the sales.

Cheltenian is a talking horse, and big money was paid for him after Punchestown, but today is unlikely to be the acid test.

Crossed the line in front and still available at 1.03, can't lose that surely?

We got away with it, but I wasn't that impressed by the performance. Cheltenian repeated his Punchestown trick of veering to his left when asked to quicken, and looked a difficult ride throughout the race. The horse in second, Montbazon, didn't cop on to what was required of him until it was too late, but was gaining ground towards the finish. It was clear enough beforehand that the rest wouldn't count.

I don't usually like backing at short prices, but I was expecting Cheltenian to be a much shorter price for today's bumper at Kempton (currently 10/11). There has already been some money for it in the Champion Bumper market, but it needs a win on the board to be sure of getting into that race.

Cheltenian veered dramatically left when asked for an effort in the straight on his debut at Punchestown. I have my doubts whether he would have won even if he'd kept a straight line, but even so he is well clear of the others in today's race with previous form.

Second favourite is an Alan King newcomer. Montbazon must be a very handsome individual, because although the pedigree offers little encouragement (it's safe to say that the sire, Alberto Giacometti has not been a success) he cost £28,000 at the sales.

Cheltenian is a talking horse, and big money was paid for him after Punchestown, but today is unlikely to be the acid test.

Good call Grey!! The early price of 10/11 is sweet now! Keeps up the bumper winners strike rate on this thread - we should all just stick to backing in bumpers!! Not too much to be afraid of though I'd imagine come the middle of March.;)

I have laid Riverside Theatre for a decent amount
at an average of 2.14.
Here's the science 1)having heard Henderson on atr tonight I feel he will be a drifter tomorrow morning and possibly a significant drifter pre race.
2)in running he has a tendency to get behind and with Fair Along and Mahogany Blaze in the field there is every chance he will need to be pushed along early enough.Also What A Friend can travel strongly -could possibly lay him at odds on and hope for a complete boilover.
Very optimistic about getting a result.

I was impressed with Louisville Lip's hurdle debut at Thurles.

Apparently unfancied and starting at 20/1 he travelled well throughout and beat the favourite that day, Maxim Gorky (who re-opposes today), by 2 1/2 lengths.

He has some stern opposition today with Weld's unbeaten Unaccompanied and the English-trained raider Indian Daudaie (P.Nicholls) but hopefully can claim a place at least.

Been looking at the same race all morning, i tend to agree with you. I was impressed with Unaccompanied and the way he travelled, but he didnt hurdle too well. Lousville looked a bit green still in winning the last day, and did travel like a dream that day, so possibly is a bet each way at the price. Very hard to get a handle on the Nicholls horse. Sailors warn seemed to improve the last day, hurdles well and might be a bigger danger.

Ive had no bet, im between backing Unaccompanied win or going each way on Louisville lip....

I was going to make a similar case for Sailor's Warn. It took him 12 tries to win his maiden on the flat, but ended up winning quite a decent one, not unexpectantly, after two previous decent efforts. Then two solid, if unspectacular, attempts over hurdles followed by an out of the blue humdinger after Christmas.

The horse's ability can't have come on as much as it seemed that day. His last three runs on the flat would have you scratching your head as to how he managed to lose some of his previous races. For today, I'm putting him down as a slow learner who has copped on, if he runs badly I'll revert to just marking him down as unreliable. It's a tough looking race, so I'm happy going heavy on the place part at any better than net 5/4 and top up a little on the win part

Some good racing at both Leopardstown and Newbury today - but my only bet of the day is in the opener at Ayr where Lucy Normile's Sunnyside goes back left handed and back up to 3m having been well beaten in a useful enough race at Carlisle over 2m 4f back in October. The form of the Hexham race he took over the trip looks strong with Moon Indigo (current OR 130) scoring and placing twice from four starts since and the well beaten third also placing in novice company. He won a P2P (from 4 starts) and placed in three of his four bumper starts in the North last season all at testing tracks (Hexham, Kelso and Newcastle) and looks sure to appreciate the return to 3m+ and at 9/2 he looks worth a bet today. He's currently available at a best priced 9/2 with Bet365.

Martin

Fasolo looks overpriced in the Warwick bumper and seems worth an each way bet.

He was entered for the Grade 2 bumper at Newbury today but has been switched to this easier looking target. Presumably the idea behind travelling to England is to get some better ground than is available in Ireland at present, and therefore some improvement might be expected.

Ahead of him in the market are two well connected newcomers and a mare, Elegant Touch, to each of whom he has to give weight, but it would be disappointing if he couldn't beat at least one of them.

in the 9.20 I know this is a poor race but i can't be having Carter winning off this mark..got to be a lay at 2.16

could see Maslak or Gloucester taking it..but won't be greedy..just do the lay

I don't know what happened to Fasolo, but I don't think the one pound overweight put up by Mr J P Magnier explains the poor outcome. He dropped out of contention very quickly down the back straight when the pace increased, but he didn't finish lame. I can only guess there was a breathing or a blood vessel problem.

I don't know what happened to Fasolo, but I don't think the one pound overweight put up by Mr J P Magnier explains the poor outcome. He dropped out of contention very quickly down the back straight when the pace increased, but he didn't finish lame. I can only guess there was a breathing or a blood vessel problem.
He did overweight on a horse due to carry 11-10? Should he even be allowed to ride any more?

Back