TV coverage

He's Clive Cox's landlord so may do a bit there and think he’s got other property investments. He was also involved with the Injured Jockeys, but not sure that’s still the case. Not aware of anything else equine

Have to say Ruby’s contribution today on ITV racing is massively improved. Some seriously good insight into previous form and also analysing the last race. May it continue!

Yes, brilliant.

I also liked yesterday's contribution from MF and APMcC during the chase in which they talked about what they were doing as the race unfolded, having opted to 'ride' one of the contenders each.

The coverage still really bugs me in other ways, though.

I don't think I could ever tire of punching LH's coupon. Or MC's for that matter. In fact, I'd probably actually enjoy the latter. How can he talk about 'Sko' Royal one minute then Un De 'So' (the correct pronunciation) the next? Does he have no self-awareness at all.

And Hoiles is simply the worst commentator ever on telly. I often watch races without having a bet or seeing the preliminaries and I often don't know which horses he's referring to in commentary. In an earlier race today it was half-over before I finally realised I was following the wrong horse because of his commentary and it's something I find happens very often. He also has an annoying tendency to mention the front two or three and in the same breath the last few before saying 'towards the rear' so you think you're looking at the fourth, fifth and sixth in a race and then your attention is drawn to the tail runners and you miss what's actually in fourth, fifth and sixth until he deigns to get the order right.

Caught a 3m hdl the other day, with John Hunt in the commentary box. Never mentioned a single 'colour', and I can't remember Richard Hoiles, or many others, ever doing that.
RH is fine, by me.

And Hoiles is simply the worst commentator ever on telly. I often watch races without having a bet or seeing the preliminaries and I often don't know which horses he's referring to in commentary. In an earlier race today it was half-over before I finally realised I was following the wrong horse because of his commentary and it's something I find happens very often. He also has an annoying tendency to mention the front two or three and in the same breath the last few before saying 'towards the rear' so you think you're looking at the fourth, fifth and sixth in a race and then your attention is drawn to the tail runners and you miss what's actually in fourth, fifth and sixth until he deigns to get the order right.

There are a few contenders for the worst ever but agree RH isn’t great. Misses too much for me by concentrating too much on the leader and I agree his habit of naming the front one or two then not bothering with the rest before saying who’s bringing up the rear is frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, brilliant.

I also liked yesterday's contribution from MF and APMcC during the chase in which they talked about what they were doing as the race unfolded, having opted to 'ride' one of the contenders each.

The coverage still really bugs me in other ways, though.

I don't think I could ever tire of punching LH's coupon. Or MC's for that matter. In fact, I'd probably actually enjoy the latter. How can he talk about 'Sko' Royal one minute then Un De 'So' (the correct pronunciation) the next? Does he have no self-awareness at all.

I often watch the races silent. You do miss a bit of the background excitement, but at least you concentrate on what your eyes are telling you rather than having your attention directed elsewhere (as your “towards the rear” comment). Nowadays if you see a significant moment it doesn’t matter if you can’t place which horse(s) was involved since you can re-run it until you do!!

I often watch the races silent. You do miss a bit of the background excitement, but at least you concentrate on what your eyes are telling you rather than having your attention directed elsewhere (as your “towards the rear” comment). Nowadays if you see a significant moment it doesn’t matter if you can’t place which horse(s) was involved since you can re-run it until you do!!

I might try that, barjon. I often watch the football on silent because I read games differently from the commentators and co-commentators (90% of the latter are truly clueless) whose job description seems to be - the BBC are most guilty - to make the action sound exciting when very often the football is dire.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it annoying when the ITV commentators say the runners are swinging rigour handed. It’s f***ing Sandown of course it’s right handed

Not their worst crime I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrestrial channels who have decided that the close up action of the leaders noses from an inside track car camera is superior to the standard angles where you can see how all the field are travelling and jumping, can **** right off.

Terrestrial channels who have decided that the close up action of the leaders noses from an inside track car camera is superior to the standard angles where you can see how all the field are travelling and jumping, can **** right off.

I hated the inside view they showed at Fairyhouse.

I've been whingeing about that (among so many other things :D) for years.

Close-ups are fine as part of replay analysis but for live race-watching, they need longer shots where you can see as many of the principals as possible.

Back