TV coverage

I wish these arseholes would stop pandering to the likes of Trevor Hemming.

I would query the guy's motives for cutting back on his horses. The chances are it has fvck all to do with the pandemic.

The guy owns nearly all of the north west of England. He's not short of a billion or two.

"We're gonna have everybody back next week and it's gonna be one massive party"

(Or words to that effect) Big Mr Ed.

It's massive parties that are stopping us from coming out of lockdown measures.

All he's missing is the light-up bow tie.

Fuckin clown.

I wish these arseholes would stop pandering to the likes of Trevor Hemming.

I would query the guy's motives for cutting back on his horses. The chances are it has fvck all to do with the pandemic.

The guy owns nearly all of the north west of England. He's not short of a billion or two.

He's getting on in age!! Give him a break. No point in going on buying/keeping horses if not going to be around to look after/watch them.

He's getting on in age!! Give him a break. No point in going on buying/keeping horses if not going to be around to look after/watch them.

I would imagine that he's in the shielding category and won't be going racing even when it's allowed so there may not be much point in having so many horses. We stood and chatted to him at Wetherby a few years back so he's not necessarily one for hiding himself away in hospitality when he goes racing.

Would to love see a form expert/punter on both the terrestrial (especially) and Racing Channels who is not a former jockey!

Would to love see a form expert/punter on both the terrestrial (especially) and Racing Channels who is not a former jockey!

Jason Weaver is very good but I agree in principle.

Racing shares the punditry problem with football. It seems the producers are only interested in former participants for punditry. I think they're doing the viewing public a disservice.

I'm not avidly into sports on TV but I do like serious technical analysis.

In snooker the pundits can tell you what a player going to do. They can super-impose the path a ball is going to take before it's struck. In American football the technical analysis is bamboozling [to me but probably makes perfect sense to the enthusiast]. In athletics they can analyse the sectionals of a race while it's being run and predict what the final time will be, as near as dammit. In golf they can tell you how the player is going to strike the ball and where he's aiming to put it.

We don't have anything like that in racing. On the odd occasion they'll highlight one that looks outstanding in the parade ring or that went to post well but often far too late for people to act on it and get a bet on if that's what they want to do. Sometimes they'll tell us they strongly fancy something as it's being loaded. This, to me, is code for inside information they've agreed not to divulge until this point. That's not good enough.

Football is even worse and I still believe Match of the Day is responsible for most of English football's ills. The analysis is dreadful and it all started when they brought in that big fanny Alan Hansen. Before that there was no pretence towards knowledgeability but he became the master of stating the obvious with no meaningful analysis. Alan Shearer is even worse. I've watched youtube clips of Cruyff and other top managers talking about football and it's like a different sport altogether from we see on British TV. Martin O'Neill started talking sense and was soon dropped, presumably because it was too technical for the average viewer. Gordon Strachan has started dumbing down his input but can still throw in the odd brilliant bit of insight. I'm disappointed that Glen Hoddle doesn't offer more when he's got a gig. I read somewhere before he got the England job that he had a reputation among the elite as being a tactical and analytical genius. I'm not seeing it. For a year or so on BBC Scotland they had a tactics board the analysts would use to illustrate how play had developed or how it could have developed differently but it didn't last long. I think the viewers found it boring. As someone who was coached as much via a tactics board (by a former Scotland schoolboys coach) as on a pitch, I wanted more of it. I soaked up all that stuff like a sponge but unfortunately didn't have enough ability to put it into best effect on the pitch but I knew where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to be doing :)

Graham Cunningham at least tried to promote sectional analysis before C4 lost the contract. He was too far ahead of his time because now "sectional splits" get a mention in the context of every other race on ITV.

I could go on.

(You fuckin do, I hear the cry.)

Depends what you want out of the tv coverage, a lot of it is dumbed down and deliberately so cos it's all about bums on seats.

Me I generally have the sound off until race I want to watch actually starts.

I'd liked to see segments giving a good overview of what it's like to visit different courses, even down to the range of prices you'll pay for food and drink, after all they should be encouraging people to go on course.

If they were really worth their salt they'd do more in depth segments on overrounds, creating your own tissue, ratings , approaches to get the best odds you can etc etc and back it up with the detail on youtube. Plenty people would like to delve a biit deeper than they do but need a bit of help and encouragement.

Last edited:
Indeed, Pawras. I think Ed C as good as said as much not long ago when they were promoting the good viewing numbers.

"All about appealing to the wider public" or words to that effect.

I reckon if they tipped the winner of nearly every race they'd have bigger success and if they arrived at the winner by means of in-depth analysis it might get more people interested in the nuts and bolts of form.

In a recent chat with the brother over the phone while racing was on, I was slagging off Cumani for her awful dress sense and said something along the lines of, "Does she actually stand in front a mirror and think that outfit looks good on her?", to which he replied, "She just wears what she's given to wear. [His wife] follows her on twitter and she tells people who made the dress and where they can get it. She's paid to wear that stuff."

He might be right.

I used to watch the old room makeover programmes 30-odd years ago with Laurence The-Well-In-Bone just to be aghast at the gaudy shite he was making of people's houses. Then they did his own house on Through The Keyhole and it was a sumptuously tastefully decorated place. he was just ripping the pish out of other people for the sake of a TV programme. I thik Cumani must be doing the same with the clothes she wears.

Probably the reason they don't do the food and drink bit is because it would put people off going racing. Extortionate prices for van food that you wouldn't want to feed to your worst enemy's dog and drinks served in vile plastic tumblers.

Cumani has a dresser who tends to buy second hand vintage so she wears something unique every time and won’t be seen wearing the same as another race goer. Some work, some don’t.

second hand vintage ... Some work, some don’t.

Rejects from the Good Old Days. I much prefer seeing the gear the fashion woman at Royal Ascot wears. Usually extremely stylish but a slim woman can look good in a binliner.

Imvho.

(It's why I don't wear binliners.)

Last edited:
Cumani has a dresser who tends to buy second hand vintage so she wears something unique every time and won’t be seen wearing the same as another race goer. Some work, some don’t.

I’d love someone to find me clothes like that. Though I’d also quite like a figure not dissimilar to hers ( but with a bit more curve !!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they did a horse racing version of Tiffani's Big City tips I'd be more inclined to watch the racing coverage other than just the actual races.

I'd be happy if they rotated a few ie "I'm Francesca/Haley/Alex and these are my big racing tips...."
Mind you if they put Balding on it would be like the start of Day of the Triffards ie guys across the country all screaming aahhhh my eyes they burn...

Noticed since Racing resumed that RTV have not used Peter Naughton

Wonder if that is on health grounds or he has left

Back