TV coverage

That and the interminable fawning over Emma Banks.

I mean, who the fvck is Emma Banks anyway? Does he get free tickets for a gig every time he mentions her name?

:o:<3:

Oh Yes!! All of them. ALL the clucking time. Every week on zoom, Emma Banks - music mogul, ( no really? Well we'd never known) Glastonbury blah blah blah blah di bloody blah.

But they do it all the time. Always the same owners on, talked about so equals same horses talked about. Really really annoying. I sent them a message just 'cos I can saying for goodness sake , talk to other people.

Wondered what had happened to him.

As soon as retired. I was gutted. No chance of getting out there to see him where can usually get a look at most studs in this country. Getting on now bless him as well. Never heard a race crowd go so quiet when he was beaten at Ascot by Observatory who came down the middle away from him. Watching GC in the winner's enclosure, he KNEW he had lost and didn't like it one bit.
Had a 'grandson' winner at Goodwood yesterday out of Maids Causeway who I loved, followed her career since day one.

Last edited:
Oli Bell reported joyously, as though it was a great thing, that there were 8 sniffer dogs and 44 constables employed at York yesterday. He continued that, happily, there had been no trouble at the smmeting, so far. It was about 2PM.

Is the bar really that low now?

The bar must be quite low if Oli Bell can hold down the job. He's so bloody juvenile. It sticks in my head that he pronounced a horse's name (Bizet) as Bizzet, I kid you not.

Oli Bell reported joyously, as though it was a great thing, that there were 8 sniffer dogs and 44 constables employed at York yesterday. He continued that, happily, there had been no trouble at the smmeting, so far. It was about 2PM.

I wasn't about for yesterday's racing so he must have said it on the morning programme as well. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

On the same programme, Chapman was going off on a rant about welfare based on Euchen Glen's having to carry 10-2 in the Ebor. Talk about digging a hole! There are horses the same age as Euchen Glen carrying 11-12 in NH races when they're also asked to jump fences and run a mile and more further. What a plonker.

He was referring to the meeting since it started on Wednesday not that day specifically

The bar must be quite low if Oli Bell can hold down the job. He's so bloody juvenile. It sticks in my head that he pronounced a horse's name (Bizet) as Bizzet, I kid you not.

Well yes another case of who you know not what you know. He, 'Cesca' and Mick Fitz add absolutely nothing. See 'Cesca' has her stylist getting a credit as well now. Chapman shouting just reminds me of John McCririck and I thought that was one of the reasons they got rid of him. Doing a presentation for, can't remember for which race, but know that winning jockey was not Murphy but that how's Chapman started the presentation, with mentions of champion jockey not winning that one .... someone on Twitter complained and said turned it down, which I agreed with , loads saying what a great job he's doing. There's no hope.

Nothing on TV is about substance any more.

It's about the 'look'.

Its a reflection of the superficiality of modern society.

To paraphrase John Laurie's Private Frazer in Dad's Army, we're fucked.

Well yes another case of who you know not what you know. He, 'Cesca' and Mick Fitz add absolutely nothing. See 'Cesca' has her stylist getting a credit as well now. Chapman shouting just reminds me of John McCririck and I thought that was one of the reasons they got rid of him. Doing a presentation for, can't remember for which race, but know that winning jockey was not Murphy but that how's Chapman started the presentation, with mentions of champion jockey not winning that one .... someone on Twitter complained and said turned it down, which I agreed with , loads saying what a great job he's doing. There's no hope.
Sheer attention seeking, which he's copied directly from John M.The whole pantomime the cast go through is to draw in viewers. and revenue, for ITV.
Bring back the Beeb, to restore integrity and gravitas to proceedings - please. :surrender:

Sheer attention seeking, which he's copied directly from John M.The whole pantomime the cast go through is to draw in viewers. and revenue, for ITV.
Bring back the Beeb, to restore integrity and gravitas to proceedings - please. :surrender:

Don’t knock it - it’s all we’ve got, so just turn the sound off and enjoy the view. The woke brigade at the Beeb have washed their hands of racing - it’s sooo cruel to horses don’t you know - so won’t be back on there.

Don’t knock it - it’s all we’ve got, so just turn the sound off and enjoy the view.

Yes-ish.

I find nowadays, especially for the festival meetings that go on over a few days, I don't watch the bits between the races but I have the sound on because I sit in the next room to get on with studying for the following day(s) so the sound gives me my cue to come in and watch when the races start.

However, I do make a point of watching the immediate post-race interview with the jockey and occasionally a trainer or owner who drop their guard and say more than they really should. In a way it's mining for occasional nuggets.

But there's no bigger nugget than Chapman...

Matt is best at interviews only, brings nothing to the betting ring unlike big mac

Finding it annoying now that Chapman lately seems to say the best backed horse ...is the one he has tipped up in the paper!

I think we need to go a bit easier on them. It's true that the presenters, by and large have their flaws but the production company can take credit for bringing something new to our screens, for example the Sunday series showing Sunday afternoon racing, notwithstanding I'm not a huge fan of that format or the quality of racing but that's only my opinion.

While I appreciate not everybody can or wants to pay the subscription fee for Racing TV it is only c. £12 per month. Admittedly that isn't their advertised price but anybody who has ever signed up to one of their many promotional offers will know that it only takes a phone call at the end of it requesting them to cancel for them to extend another 12 months and so on and so on. Racing TV and Sky Sports racing generally have great presenters and coverage aimed at the more "serious" racing fan and yes, it's a pity about the multi meeting coverage but hopefully they'll find a way around that soon, such as a "press the red button" type option.

For the more casual race watcher, who possibly isn't interested outside of the big meetings, ITV do as good a job as has been available on terrestrial TV for a while in my opinion and they play to that type of audience.

It's a long time since I ended my subscription to Racing TV but at that time they had their fair share of bluffers.
I tried Racing TV for a couple of months when I came out of hospital last year, soon decided that it wasn't worth £30 per month and they didn't try very hard to persuade me to stick with it!

First race at Goodwood today. Is there any in adult the country who studied English at school unaware that "mise en scène" is a French phrase used in English?

So why did the commentator call the filly in the opener "mise en 'seen'"?

Clown.

So media rights decision for Irish racing is soon to be announced

Most people would be happy to see it back on ATR?

I would. I think it would be to the long term benefit of the sport if it was not hidden away behind a pay wall. I also have a particular gripe with Racing TV owing to the lousy deal given to Virginmedia's Irish customers.

I am pay €26 extra per month to get Racing TV on the cable, but this amount does not give me access to the individual racecourse feeds on Racing TV Extra. This leaves me at the mercy of overcrowded schedules and lower priority for Irish racing. To give an example, on 2nd December every race at Market Rasen went off late after a delay before the first. This resulted in the virtual obliteration of the Clonmel coverage. No pre- or post- race assessment, no race commentaries, just pictures on a split screen. The worst of it was the studio team didn't even seem to notice.

So getting the Irish racing back on the free channel would be best, but at least sort out the crap treatment of Virginmedia's Irish customers.

So media rights decision for Irish racing is soon to be announced

Most people would be happy to see it back on ATR?

I would. I think it would be to the long term benefit of the sport if it was not hidden away behind a pay wall. I also have a particular gripe with Racing TV owing to the lousy deal given to Virginmedia's Irish customers.

I am pay €26 extra per month to get Racing TV on the cable, but this amount does not give me access to the individual racecourse feeds on Racing TV Extra. This leaves me at the mercy of overcrowded schedules and lower priority for Irish racing. To give an example, on 2nd December every race at Market Rasen went off late after a delay before the first. This resulted in the virtual obliteration of the Clonmel coverage. No pre- or post- race assessment, no race commentaries, just pictures on a split screen. The worst of it was the studio team didn't even seem to notice.

So getting the Irish racing back on the free channel would be best, but at least sort out the crap treatment of Virginmedia's Irish customers.

Sky isn't free.

Back