Unexposed types to watch.

Some runners today (early Betfair prices in brackets):

BAROCCI (Irish Stamp) Longchamp 2.40 (Betfair 3.15)

BELLE BROOK (Rory) Fairyhouse 3.35 (22)

RUSHTEENS (me) is a reserve for the Fairyhouse 3.35 (60)

BARBICAN (Gamla Stan) Sandown 3.50 (18.5) {GS I've included this one even though you haven't confirmed it as one to keep an eye on}

BUTTONHOLE (Swedish Chef) Sandown 4.25 (32)

Buttonhole (GB) - (bay filly Montjeu (IRE)-Red Camellia (GB) (Polar Falcon (USA))- Red Camellia ranked the joint top rated filly of her generation in England as a juvenile (alongside the aforementioned Reams of Verse) and only narrowly failed to land a Classic at three years, beaten less than a length in the French 1000 Guineas. Though she failed to land a Group One herself, she has produced a daughter that has won at the top level in the form of Fillies' Mile winner Red Bloom, together with a Listed winner Red Gala; (Sir Michael Stoute).

Very well bred and worth a small e/way at those odds.

Barbican ran another corker of a race and he looked a picture in the paddock. A real big strapping horse who is sure to have a great future ahead of him.

Bailey and the owners got a bit greedy going for this race though, they've ruined a very good handicap mark of 88.

Dorcas Lane declared for the Pretty Polly on Sunday, think she'll run better than her price like Barbican did but also like Barbican, can't help thinking they'll slaughter her handicap mark in the process.

I'd like to add Nathaniel, Colin - the only horse to give Frankel a race last year when they had Genius Beast 5l behind - looks very good form - bred for 1m4f and entered for the Chester Vase on Thursday.

Two who ran at Salisbury yesterday - Yair Hill and Whiplash Willie. Yair Hill in particular is a lovely big horse I spotted running at the same track last year.

Two runners today:

CAOLANEOIN (me) Punchestown 6.05

Not seen since winning nicely on heavy ground at Leopardstown in February. This is a very hot race and 20 is available for a win and the place is 4.6 on Betfair.

SECRET DESERT (Swedish Chef) Sedgefield 8.30

Two who ran at Salisbury yesterday - Yair Hill and Whiplash Willie. Yair Hill in particular is a lovely big horse I spotted running at the same track last year.

I thought Yair Hill should have been winning that race. Not sure he's going to justify his handicap mark.

Whiplash Willie ran well but he's a little small if I remember correctly? He has a good attitude though and could be an improver.

Two runners today:

CAOLANEOIN (me) Punchestown 6.05

Not seen since winning nicely on heavy ground at Leopardstown in February. This is a very hot race and 20 is available for a win and the place is 4.6 on Betfair.

SECRET DESERT (Swedish Chef) Sedgefield 8.30

This is what I originally said: Secret Desert – took the wide course all the way round in his last race – hurdled and travelled well but jockey couldn’t make up his mind which racing line to take and the horse got a few bumps on the way as gaps kept closing – should win a class 5 2m hurdle soon on good or better.

It has since been noted that he broke a blood vessel in that race but with Graham Lee back on board and if he stays sound I'd expect a big run.

I thought Yair Hill should have been winning that race. Not sure he's going to justify his handicap mark.

Whiplash Willie ran well but he's a little small if I remember correctly? He has a good attitude though and could be an improver.

Yair Hill looked as though he'd come on for the run but I can see where you're coming from. He's a big stuffy-looking horse so should improve.

Whiplash Willie is small but he's tough and should improve for being 3 and the step up in trip. Phoenix Reach doesn't really do 2 year olds and I think in the next year or two we'll start to hear a lot more about him as a sire, especially once he starts having progeny running over jumps. He stamps his progeny well, in the main they're big and scopey.

Caolaneoin murdered on that bend, but would only have been placed at best.

Seemed a little green again - he ran the winner close first time out so that wasn't his running. Was running up the back of horses all the way around as well. He is a fine big horse with a bright future though. Definitely one to stay on the right side of.

CLOUD ROCK 3-y-o bay colt trained by Peter Chapple-Hyam.

Seventh in a six-furlong handicap at Newmarket on Saturday, his seasonal debut.

He had three runs as a 2-y-o; the first a win over seven in a lowly event at Folkestone followed by two fourth places in better class races at Newbury and Lingfield.

On Saturday he was staying on from 2 out having been short of room on a couple of occasions, a decent enough effort for a horse that probably needs a couple of more furlongs at least. He ran off a mark of 85 here and he won't go any higher after this effort.

I think he could be well up to winning a handicap or two over 8-10 furlongs.

Back