Unexposed types to watch.

Gutting OTB - the yard had one go through the ring for a fortune early last year (Forty Foot Tom) only to fail the vet :(

Just off the phone to the owner. He is absolutely filleted!! Refused €120,000 after his first run. The horse is absolutely fine - Robbie Mc said the ground was like the road and he continually changed his legs and wouldn't let himself down on it so he pulled him up to save the horse - Liam is keeping the horse now and planning a soft ground campaign with him for the autumn. He still has the mare and sold a Kings Theatre foal to JP for €30k so he won't starve but.... he is regretting running him here instead of on softer ground at Punchestown.

Good jockeyship which should be applauded (there are always enough brickbats for the lads, let's face it), OTB. Shame about the result, but there's always another day and the horse wasn't ruined.

aplogies to anyone who backed him - I was convinced he was an absolute steering job:o

As Colin pointed out there's no need for apologies, they just aren't machines and he obviously hated the going and the jockey did the sensible thing. Along with a few others your still a legend in my book. :thumbsup:

Shropshire runs tomorrow at York; a three year old Shamardal colt trained by Barry Hills. I really liked him going to post at Newbury for the Greenham and he ran well, coming third to Frankel.

Today:

WORLD DOMINATION (Swedish Chef) York 2.30

I couldn't back him today and laid off most of my ante-post bet when I read this last week. This is the acid test for him and I'd want him going into a race like this 100% but that doesn't look the case.

Cecil said: “World Domination was off for four days and missed a serious piece of work. However, if he is going to be a Derby candidate he must run in the Dante and then we will see if he is Epsom material - or, otherwise, maybe Royal Ascot."

“If he can run a really good race, win or lose, I am sure he will come on a great deal for it as he has only had one race and never ran as a two-year-old.”

As Harry said a couple of weeks ago, we could rename this thread, something like "horses that will never win a race" or perhaps something just a bit snappier than that.

But not being totally discouraged I'm going to put up (sorry to all connected to the horse):

SLUGGSY MORANT a 3-y-o bay colt trained by Henry Candy.

He had four runs as a 2-y-o, not managing to get his head in front but finishing second in his last two outings, one at Bath and one at Nottingham. The race he won on Thursday wasn't a particularly strong event, Class 5, 0-75 six-furlong handicap, and Sluggsy (you gotta love the name) was racing off 71.

He moved well throughout the race and made ground very smoothly and with the minimum of effort, quickened in the final furlong and then idled. He could be called the winner some way out and he looks to have plenty of improvement in him.

He should get a bit further and appears to go on any ground.

Probably only a handicapper but he might turn into quite a good one.

Calling Swedish Chef :

ALL TIME appears to have been transferred to the US of A; has an entry at Louisiana Downs tomorrow, trained by Joseph Foster and ridden by Jansen Melancon.

Calling Swedish Chef :

ALL TIME appears to have been transferred to the US of A; has an entry at Louisiana Downs tomorrow, trained by Joseph Foster and ridden by Jansen Melancon.

I have no idea if this is the same filly but she was put on the thread purely because of her breeding - The Racing Post says her next entry is the Oaks and there's nothing on Cecils website to say she's moved on.

All Time (GB) (brown filly Dansili (GB)-Clepsydra (GB) (Sadler's Wells (USA)) - of the sizeable Juddmonte broodmare band, Clepsydra is proving to be one of the elite. This filly, her seventh foal, is a sister to Group winners Passage of Time and Father Time and half-sister to last year's Listed winner, Timepiece. This is also the family of chief flag bearer amongst the operation's older brigade, Twice Over.

Chef, I think my confusion may be down to the GB suffix, the horse-tracker site I use doesn't recognise that suffix.

I'll watch out for that one myself.

On to today:

CROWNING STAR (Swedish Chef) Leicester 6.40

SMOKING ACES (Bar The Bull) Killarney 7.50

NAHRAIN (Swedish Chef) Windsor 8.00

Chef, I think my confusion may be down to the GB suffix, the horse-tracker site I use doesn't recognise that suffix.

I'll watch out for that one myself.

On to today:

CROWNING STAR (Swedish Chef) Leicester 6.40

SMOKING ACES (Bar The Bull) Killarney 7.50

NAHRAIN (Swedish Chef) Windsor 8.00

Nahrain (GB) (chestnut filly Selkirk (USA) - Bahr (GB) (Generous (IRE)) - this filly could be one of the stars of the group of horses Roger Varian has inherited from former master of Kremlin House, Michael Jarvis. Owned by Godolphin, Bahr finished in the frame in both English and Irish Oaks either side of winning the Ribblesdale Stakes at Royal Ascot and has already produced Listed winner Baharah and O/R 95 Sarrsar since retiring to stud.

If Nahrain can follow in her sister and brothers footsteps then she should run well in this fillies maiden and at 10/1 would be an e/way bet for me.

Crowning Star – caught the eye in the Brocklesby when coming round the field from last to finish a promising 3rd with out the jockey being too hard on him. I wouldn’t be confident about him today as there are a couple of promising types against him and I have a feeling 6f and easier ground would suit. I will have a small win bet just in case but woud hope I can get better odds than 3/1.

I understand that Michael Jarvis is in a very poorly way with cancer - can anyone confirm?

He was being treated for prostate cancer but I didn't realize he still was. Lost my father-in-law last week to pancreatic cancer, he was only diagnosed in the middle of January. It was a relief for everyone when his suffering stopped.

So very sorry to hear that, Chef. I'm afraid that pancreatic cancer is a real bastard - there is a very poor survivability rate once it's got in. We had a lovely guy on Final Furlong called Nick Hagan (one or two old-timers on here may well remember him): I saw him at Lingfield on a Saturday, said "see you soon" and on the Monday he was rushed to hospital, same condition as your father-in-law, dead six weeks or so later. Left a lovely wife and two young daughters. Nick was a great racing fan and terrific fun. I think he was just 44, so it's no respecter of age, otherwise good health, or whatever. Sincere condolences to your wife on losing her Dad - that was a sharp and sudden blow, where you hardly have time to get your head round what's happening, and the person is gone.

Back