US Presidential election 2016

I'm done with politics in this lifetime.

i made that decision a few years ago Brendan..and just treat it as entertainment now....and we are in for some now i feel..well before the 4 minute warning kicks in anyway:)

is there still a 4 minute one?..maybe its like the Bannister mile time..it reduces as the year pass

Officially the day America lost the plot. May as well have elected Dr Evil to president. Gun controls going to go out the door completely.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Some would say the same if Clinton had won though..so its swings and roundabouts really..the question is how did two such candidates even get there

you have to say as well...if Clinton couldn't win against such as Trump..would you really want someone that bad in post?...its a bit like your horse getting beat by a selling plater...would you enter it in the Derby afterwards..or would you just think it was a donkey

thats why i was puzzled by post 1004 Warb

I thought they'd be some, but I didn't think they existed on the scale that they appear to do. Especially in some particular states. I think it also possible that a lot of the undecideds might have broken for Trump (that's just guesswork) but there was always a chance that if you were still undecided by yesterday, in other words, if you still hadn't seen or heard enough from Trump to disqualify him from your thinking, then there might be a disproportinate probability that you'd vote for him

In the end he appears to have won with a bit to spare. Reminds of the long range spread I was advocating in the spring of Trump by 50 (admittedly that was based around a speculative punt at an 'event' rather than the near total collapse of the upper mid west)

he will be spluttering into his brekky this morning

i seem to remember Clive had great faith in polls..was shoving them up all the time..mmmm

I'll send him an email and see what he has to say (if anything). In truth, I don't really know what there is to say. We were always taught that 1968 was the most tumultuous post war year, 2016 seems to have trumped it

i made that decision a few years ago Brendan..and just treat it as entertainment now....and we are in for some now i feel..well before the 4 minute warning kicks in anyway:)

Same here and aren't we comfortably off baby-boomers who had the very best of times over several decades of selfish over-indulgence so so fortunate that we can treat it as entertainment? Easy Livin'

I couldn't give a flying fk about my generation: I look at and listen to the bright young things today and weep for them

So for us fascinating entertainment and for them frightening drama to keep us all glued over the years ahead

On BBC News currently, assembled wiseacres are banging on about how and why the pollsters got it so wrong again, and just repeating the post mortems after the 2015 election and referendum...Jeez

LEST Heaven be thronged with grey-beards hoary,
God, who made boys for His delight,
Stoops in a day of grief and glory
And calls them in, in from the night.
When they come trooping from the war
Our skies have many a new gold star.

Heaven's thronged with gay and careless faces,
New-waked from dreams of dreadful things,
They walk in green and pleasant places
And by the crystal water-springs
Who dreamt of dying and the slain,
And the fierce thirst and the strong pain.

Dear boys! They shall be young for ever.
The Son of God was once a boy.
They run and leap by a clear river
And of their youth they have great joy.
God, who made boys so clean and good,
Smiles with the eyes of fatherhood.

Now Heaven is by the young invaded;
Their laughter's in the House of God.
Stainless and simple as He made it
God keeps the heart o' the boy unflawed.
The old wise Saints look on and smile,
They are so young and without guile.

Oh! if the sonless mothers, weeping,
And widowed girls could look inside
The glory that hath them in keeping
Who went to the Great War, and died,
They would rise and put their mourning off,
And say: 'Thank God, he has enough!'

Might sound pathetic but the best I'm seriously hoping for now is that Donald wins, is indeed mates with Putin, somehow they gradually make things better through Donald admitting America's foreign policy in the Middle East is fucked.

John Kerry has tried hard for years now for a resolution. It makes John Major's and Tony Blair's peace talks in Northern Ireland look like a summer holiday.

I think this is literally the only post I'm proud of on this thread!!! I way over estimated Clinton's electability on just about everything.

I'm with EC1, looking forward to the entertainment we're going to get in the forthcoming years.

Thanks to Warbler for keeping the thread going with insight along the way.

Last edited:
Head in sand time again for me. Can't cope with it all. No fight left in me. When I look back to the time when, as a young mother, I wanted the world to be a better place for my kids, and this is where it's ended up. Shock and disbelief today.

Same here and aren't we comfortably off baby-boomers who had the very best of times over several decades of selfish over-indulgence so so fortunate that we can treat it as entertainment? Easy Livin'

I couldn't give a flying fk about my generation: I look at and listen to the bright young things today and weep for them

So for us fascinating entertainment and for them frightening drama to keep us all glued over the years ahead

On BBC News currently, assembled wiseacres are banging on about how and why the pollsters got it so wrong again, and just repeating the post mortems after the 2015 election and referendum...Jeez

Personally I could give a **** less about my/our generation as well but I have a 14 year old son who sent me a crying emoji this morning.
Too young to fully comprehend this and too young to vote. Breaks my heart it does.

to be honest..was it really going to be so much better with Clinton?...Brendan..what is it you think will happen that is so bad?..the guy is a figurehead..the daft stuff he has been spouting won't happen.

i keep hearing about him having access to the nuclear codes...as though one night he will just nip in and trigger them all on his own..do people really buy in to this stuff?

a lot of stuff i heard is just the same old scare stuff put out to gain the outcome wanted

did you see his acceptance speech?..he's only just been elected and it was a different face he put on there..already

all the mps here that have been slating him for months on question time and in print..will all of a sudden start to back track now..that alone will make entertaining viewing

there is nothing happened overnight that will change our lives for the worse..we already just stuck a knife in our own chest with brexit..thats more to worry about than the Donald

its not long ago that we were told by the president that if we came out of Europe..we would go to the back of the queue re trade agreements..thats what would have happened had Clinton got in..hardly to our advantage was it her getting in?

that type of thing is far more damaging to us than the Donald getting in..i doubt he will have that same attitude

Last edited:
The over reactions amongst people today are absolutely incredible and utterly pathetic at the same time.

People forget that Clinton is a psychopath and her favourite pastime is antagonising Russia, christ alive.

None of what he has even said is that scary when you cut through the bullshit, and even if it was, as said there's some hoops to jump through to make things happen in that system. Not like he's going to do some reckless referendum now is it?

Last edited:
Brendan..what is it you think will happen that is so bad?..the guy is a figurehead..the daft stuff he has been spouting won't happen.

Largely agree as the US President doesn't wield much individual power. The two elected Houses of Congress keep them in check and given it seems most Republicans despise Trump I'd have thought the strait-jacketing will be unusually secure

What concerns me about Trump's election is the wider picture, in that it further catalyses the slide towards right-wing Isolationism and Nationalism apparent amongst the Western electorate. German and French elections next year...

I don't think there's necessarily a right wing movement in the wider picture at all. It's clear that there's a very non-centrist movement happening. Whether that's left or right is up in the air but there's plenty of both happening.

I always just shake my head in disbelief when they talk about Trump starting a nuclear war. The Clinton campaign have been accusing them of hacking when the truth is no one really knows bar assange who's behind it.....Russia China North Korea..while Putin may not be Trumps best pal he certainly hates Clinton and that does not stand in good stead in the fight against ISIS.

Anyway Trump looks jaded to hell over the last few days which is hardly surprising. He must be sick of the sound of his own voice........I actually wonder how he fills these Rallys up considering they are all very much the same...

If it were up to social media it would be a no brainier.

Take Youtube. I am on there every day following the news. Trump topped 1 million views at his last 10 rallies Clinton barely 340,000 and half of those came in a 2 day period when JZ played in that awful would be a concert.

I honestly don't get it. Huge Rallies huge following on the Social Media hammering her at every turn but she leads? Not just in one or 2 polls but in virtually all polls?

It really does go to show the power of the media..............Latest one WOLF BLITZER caught asking the DNC to give him some questions to ask Trump...........The man should be gone he's a disgrace to his profession as is Donna Brazile..........but CNN will do nothing to the old biased *******.

If Trump were to win I doubt if he'd be dropping dead any time soon but if Hillary attempted to work half as hard as he does she'd be gone in a month......Please God.

How the most hated two faced liar on the planet can become POTUS is beyond me. Can only hope the polls are wrong and Trump dows drain the swamp

You could have had 6/1 you idiot :lol:

I don't think there's necessarily a right wing movement in the wider picture at all. It's clear that there's a very non-centrist movement happening. Whether that's left or right is up in the air but there's plenty of both happening.

Tend to agree. The people rebelling against the establishment aren't seeing this all from a left or right perspective, they are seeing it through what they believe is right or wrong.

Last edited:
I'm done with politics in this life time .

Dont be sad
how old are You?

this is the party of democracy, the freedom of the people to choose.

hillary must be a very bad one to lose so emphtically with this clown,
but my main feeling is that this is a kick to Obama in the ass of Billies hipócrital wife.

the good thing is that Donald will not do and will be allowed to do most of things he said in campaign.

and be positive, after the nightmare of Cárter came the great Ronald
lets hope after the inept Barack hussein comes something to do it much better than this prize Nobel winner the world has suffered in the last 8 years.

Ironically my biggest win of the year just did all the states he had to win 5 in all,went to bed with just florioda in the bag the others were tight anf Pennsylvania he was miles behind got up this morning atound 8.30 and my partner said he;s just won and pennsylvannia declared.Got the full house over 18k although had already had £2700 on Clinton at 4/9,didn't want him to win but those saver bets were unbelievable value,can't see him being around long though thibnk America have made one huge mistake with that one,as thiugh they havn't got enough racial problems overthere.Reality tv that#s all it is,on a par with boris Johnson..

It's matter of what now for Clinton? The FBI have apparently put every public corruption agent they have on investigating the Foundation.

Seems like an odd move that suddenly Comey is stepping up his efforts on this. Maybe he wants it out of the way so they can close the case before Trump takes over

but no one can explain why the result scares them

its like an automatic negative reaction fuelled by the press

what are people scared of?..no one seems to know

you have one party whose message was..brits are at bottom of pile re trade..so that would damage our economy..and brits seemingly welcoming that by wanting clinton to win,,why?..its illogical

clinton winning would have damaged us

Last edited:

Tend to agree. The people rebelling against the establishment aren't seeing this all from a left or right perspective, they are seeing it through what they believe is right or wrong.

Yep, you're both probably correct. For me to label this drift from the centre as "right wing" is too simplistic. However, drift in whatever manner you choose to interpret it is unhealthy I reckon: extremism doesn't work, is destabilizing and is dangerous

But the middle-ground liberal consensus have only themselves to blame really as they've permitted Capitalism, which I do believe is the least flawed economic model to have been tried thus far, to degenerate into a rampant unfettered Global Corporatism: too much money in too few hands, whereas a healthy capitalist economy should see that money spread amongst many more hands

Result being that your once gainfully employed 'blue collar' worker in the post-industrial West has seen his/her standard of living decline whilst that of the newly employed worker in the thrusting neo-industrial East has seen it rise. Interpreted by those in the West as being forgotten about and manifesting itself as the rebellion against said liberal consensus we're witnessing now. And who can really blame them?

What happens to a developed society whose wealth was accrued by heavy industry when the undeveloped societies catch up and compete. Who knows, it's uncharted territory isn't it? The Western Capitalist cycle completed? Where next?

IMVHO

Last edited:
I've been saying that a Trump majority of 50+ is a smart bet to take for some time. That doesn't mean I'm predicting it, what it means is there is a plauisble scenrio where this pans out

6/1? ... Nah ... this was the bet (put up on Feb 25th)

I've no idea incidentally what the spread was on Trump being +50, but it would have to be pretty big given that he was expected to lose by amount the same margin and would need to rack up places like PA, MI, WI to get there

Last edited:
Yep, you're both probably correct. For me to label this drift from the centrism as "right wing" is too simplistic. However, drift in whatever manner you choose to interpret it is unhealthy I reckon: extremism doesn't work, is destabilizing and is dangerous

It's possibly worth remembering how close Bernine Sanders got running off a platform with next to no tradition in America. It's more a question of people moving to the extremes. When the big top falls down, people move to the freak shows

I do however think a likely Trump wave will roll out across the world now. Some of this could be positive, but most of it won't be

We should get a little test soon I believe. Aren't the Austrian elections due for a re-run later this month? One of the candidates is a neo nazi type character who doesn't recognise the Austrian states legitimacy. He should really be a candidate for an article 7 action by the EU (not that they will). Hungary is already in the cart on this one and Poles are also most definite lurch into the more extreme right

There is the strong likelihood that Le Pen wins the first round in France come May and is probably then pitched against Juppe for the Ellessye Palace

I think we're possibly a step nearer to reforming NATO and giving it a christian focus now, as Trump gears up to fight the latest incarnation of the oldest fault line between the cross and crescent (might leave Turkey in an odd place - but they're slipping into a dictatorship themselves). I wouldn't be shocked to see Trump begin the process of bringing Russia into an alliance now based on religion and tacitly start the process of taking aim at the muslim world. He might complain about the financial burden that NATO places on the US, but one of the best ways of alleviating this is to find a new enemy to feed America's military industrial complex, and it also sates his appetite for brown people too (and Putins). Going into the next decade the west shouldn't be as beholden to the sunni states of the middle east as they have been. The advances being made in renewables and fuel cell technologies means that oil is becoming less of a blindfold we have to apply. It's become noticeable just how many American's are growing increasingly alert to the nature of Saudi Arabia in particular. Much more so than they were ten years ago. America's politicians are going to find it harder to keep lid on what it is one of the most corrupt global relationships in history

Back