What are you backing Today? Part 2

Wm Haggas has just the one entry today: Mujtaba 5.20D; looks to have been saved for this, and probably needs a penalty to ensure a Cambridgeshire run.
Jim Crowley swerves Kenpton to take the ride too. Could be wrong, but looks the bet of the day, for me.
7/2 B365.
Always fear a Haggas in a handicap but Just Fine is backable in this. Ran well in a very good Magnet Cup and I didn't fancy him at all at Goodwood as 10 on that track is not enough of a stamina test. Today's race is not that hot and he's dropping down the handicap. 11/2 in a place reasonable value for all that he's been a bit of an excuse horse.

Nice to call one right.:)
Just taken 10/1 for the Cambridgeshire (888bet), though he's a piece shorter in most books.

Wm Haggas has just the one entry today: Mujtaba 5.20D; looks to have been saved for this, and probably needs a penalty to ensure a Cambridgeshire run.
Jim Crowley swerves Kenpton to take the ride too. Could be wrong, but looks the bet of the day, for me.
7/2 B365.

Nice one, reet. Saved a crappy day for me, thx.

Doncaster

3.45 Billyb is progressing nicely. He won what was just a class four here at Doncaster in early July, but the second horse, No Nay Nicki went close in a class 2 at the York Ebor meeting next time, and the third horse, Point Lynas, went on to win a class two again at the ebor meeting, when he just got the better of another Ann Duffield horse called Master Richard.

That class four form that Billyb showed over course and distance when winning handsomely that day needs to be upgraded. Billyb's last run when just touched off behind Carnival Zain at Thirsk in a class 2 is really good form as that horse was winning his fifth race from nine starts this season and is a big improver in his own right.

So with a bit more progress Billyb can win this.

Last edited:
Why is he beating Admiral D on 5lbs worse terms?

Billyb is an improving 3yo and a few pounds extra won't stop him tomorrow.

I know we talked about Admiral D earlier this season but I'd actually argue he is still a few pounds too high in the handicap himself. When he left Ireland his last racing mark was 82.

He started off in England on 97. Don't get me wrong he has ran well a couple times but I like Billyb more as he has the more progressive profile. Admiral D should be a 14 or 16s chance in this race. Anything else is bad value. He's an each way hope at best.

Last edited:
That last race at Thirsk I dutched BillyB and Admiral D as they were both in my tracker. AD was drawn 14 and the front five broke really quick and he was outpaced. The pace horses then turned the gas off as they went round the bend and inevitably one of them won. BillyB did well heading the second pack but he's gone up 4lbs. AD finished really well from a bad position in rear. I don't care what his mark was in Ireland, their handicap racing is just poor. BillyB has his chance tomorrow but I can't back both of them again.

I'm also on Yesyes tomorrow in the Park Hill - I couldn't resist 6/1 on Monday but given how bad the fillies races have worked out this year (Bounce the Blues winning today after 2 years without scoring) I can't say I'm hopeful at all.

Last edited:
I did Urban Artist the last day at Goodwood I'm sticking with her. A career best that was. Like you I can't be overly confident. She is closely matched with Yes Yes on the Goodwood run.

I guess logic dictates stepping up another half a furlong won't suit Urban Artist but then I am hoping her jockey will hold on to her a bit more!!

A bit of rain for her would be ideal. It was good to firm at Goodwood. A bit of give in the ground would take some of the sting out of the finishes of the others.

Last edited:
Manettino - 7.35 Chelmesford 5/1 Ew

Believe In Love - 3.10 Doncaster 6/1 Ew

2 x singles
Ew double

Reasoning in me blog

That last race at Thirsk I dutched BillyB and Admiral D as they were both in my tracker. AD was drawn 14 and the front five broke really quick and he was outpaced. The pace horses then turned the gas off as they went round the bend and inevitably one of them won. BillyB did well heading the second pack but he's gone up 4lbs. AD finished really well from a bad position in rear. I don't care what his mark was in Ireland, their handicap racing is just poor. BillyB has his chance tomorrow but I can't back both of them again.

'm also on Yesyes tomorrow in the Park Hill - I couldn't resist 6/1 on Monday but given how bad the fillies races have worked out this year (Bounce the Blues winning today after 2 years without scoring) I can't say I'm hopeful at all.

Admiral D is entered in the Brown Lad hcap at the curragh on sunday.Faheycalso has Strike Red in it.€90000 to the winner,

I bet Yesyesyes (9/2)last night. I've also backed Misty Blues (6/1) in the first, though she might have an iffy draw.

A bit of rain should suit Inchicore down to the ground in the first tomorrow. She has entries in the Irish Cesarewitch and English Cesarewitch.

Last edited:
I'm also on Yesyes tomorrow in the Park Hill - I couldn't resist 6/1 on Monday but given how bad the fillies races have worked out this year (Bounce the Blues winning today after 2 years without scoring) I can't say I'm hopeful at all.

And a Gosden with only slight form claims wins. I wish I was as spot on with my selections.

Last edited:
Loving the cut in the ground at Leop tomorrow for Onesto who I'm on at a big price for the ICS. I presume one of the Ballydoyle trio will ensure a decent pace. The fav will be hard to beat but Mishriff is better on decent ground and has had a couple of hard races recently and Luxembourg's level of form is unknown really. Onesto had an impossible draw at Chantilly but ran on well enough and was impressive in his last race. I'm hopeful of a good run.

Here are this afternoons winners at Leopardstown.

1. Library
2. Markaz Paname
3. Auguste Rodin
4. Earl of Tyrone
5. Luxembourg
6. Boundless Ocean
7. Homeless Songs
8. Dutch Schultz

You're Welcome

AC

Loving the cut in the ground at Leop tomorrow for Onesto who I'm on at a big price for the ICS. I presume one of the Ballydoyle trio will ensure a decent pace. The fav will be hard to beat but Mishriff is better on decent ground and has had a couple of hard races recently and Luxembourg's level of form is unknown really. Onesto had an impossible draw at Chantilly but ran on well enough and was impressive in his last race. I'm hopeful of a good run.

Yes, I think Onesto should be in the front three in the market and 10/1 is still big. However, I'm playing safe with a hefty each-way on Mishriff (3 places) at 4/1 BOG.

I'm not sure Mishriff has had hard races [plural, I mean] or that he needs better ground. He was being trained all season for the International (in my opinion) and did have a hard race there but I'm happy to write off his previous runs as building blocks. He does need to be over that York run and there's also the chance he'll be slow to break but he won on heavy as a 2yo and 3yo (highest RPR of that season), so I'm not worried about the ground. Might he even improve for returning to softer ground?

It's a good race, though, and I'll even be happy with a win for Luxembourg as I'm on him for the Arc.

I'm not a fan of F&M races but I am really looking forward to the clash between Homeless Songs and Saffron Beach in the Matron. I can't split them so will settle for the clichéd “watching brief”.

Yes, I think Onesto should be in the front three in the market and 10/1 is still big. However, I'm playing safe with a hefty each-way on Mishriff (3 places) at 4/1 BOG.

I'm not sure Mishriff has had hard races [plural, I mean] or that he needs better ground. He was being trained all season for the International (in my opinion) and did have a hard race there but I'm happy to write off his previous runs as building blocks. He does need to be over that York run and there's also the chance he'll be slow to break but he won on heavy as a 2yo and 3yo (highest RPR of that season), so I'm not worried about the ground. Might he even improve for returning to softer ground?

It's a good race, though, and I'll even be happy with a win for Luxembourg as I'm on him for the Arc.

It’s what a top race should look like, isn’t it. Talk about strength in depth. Every time I settle on one I find good reasons not to, so I’m just going with Mishriff, too, since I’ve always liked him. Just a fun bet, though.

Here are this afternoons winners at Leopardstown.

1. Library
2. Markaz Paname
3. Auguste Rodin
4. Earl of Tyrone
5. Luxembourg
6. Boundless Ocean
7. Homeless Songs
8. Dutch Schultz

You're Welcome

AC
I've had a decent punt on Thunder Kiss (3.10) as I reckon she improved lto, and today's trip will suit better.
If the ground is bad,JG might pull Mishriff and wait for Ascot. Top race, regardless.

Back