What are you backing Today? Part 2

I think thats the mid-may meeting , Pertemps at Haydock , am sure is the only mixed meeting

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

The Sandown finale was mixed for years but I think they switched to jumps only about 10 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested to see how Farhh To Shy handles the soft ground in todays 3:40 at Nottingham.

She is completely unraced on it, but the sire Farhh was a group one winner in these conditions and her grand sire Bahamian Bounty has had plenty progeny that handle soft ground.

So I think this might be a case of the market thinking Farhh To Shy won't like the ground because she's never run on it so therefore putting her as outsider of the field, whereas I reckon it might help rejuvenate her.

I'll back her win only and pay to find out.

Last edited:
Always had a soft spot for Chindit who thrives at this level
You can be confident he'll be fit as a fiddle for this

in the old days I'd have made him a 5*****Bet

Disappointed really;jockey of his calibre sitting out the back off a steady pace.:rolleyes:

Dunno, reet. He was prominent early up at the front for a couple of furlongs, then settled into a good position in third where he stayed until things started hotting up half a mile out. They pushed him back to last and he was ridden just over a furlong out to finish more or less strongest of all. I don’t think he could have finished like that if Atzeni had used him up earlier trying to keep up. I think it was a promising run - De Foy said he was looking to send him to US for a race at Belmont if he was good enough to be placed here.

Last edited:
It was still a steady pace BJ ( 7 secs slower than last season's Champion's Cup, over the same c/d on the same ground) and you could throw a blanket over the whole field 4f out, when Hollie Doyle tried to inject some pace in the race.
Possibly the best horse won, but the form is decidedly iffy off a pedestrian gallop.

Aye, and I suppose it raises a bit of a question mark that he couldn’t go with them when it hotted up?

Jersey Gift, (Salisbury 5.25), needs giving another chance on his first attempt on turf now on a career low mark, and there's a chance that as silly as it may seem, Jamie Osborne has actually laid the horse out for this race. :)

Last edited:
Goodwood 3:10 - Ernie's Valentine must have a good chance even if I fancy it! He was third behind Harry Three last season and has some all weather form that ties in with the 100+ rated Witch Hunter. Hopefully the wind operation can help Ernie's see out his races better and 5/1 or thereabouts looks fair.

Last edited:
As mentioned in the flat horses to follow thread Warning Sign in the last at Newbury. Was very eye catching in the spring mile. I got 12s, 10s and 8s yesterday he's now around 3/1. I'm going for it with this one as I have him in doubles with Atrium, Jimi Hendrix. Flash Collonges, Long Eagle and Thunder Rock.

Warning Sign runs in the last at Newmarket today. The price is nowhere near as sexy as the opening show a fortnight ago but 9/2 is acceptable given how far ahead of the handicapper he seems. I've also backed Light Infantry in the 365 Mile - Native Trail will be tough to beat but the price diff between the two is excessive.

NWM 3.00 - Bass Player 11/1, 4 pl (Sky) - market weakness is a worry (was half this price the other day in places) but I think he could be better than a handicapper as the season wears on so I have to stick with him in this company.

1.15 Newmarket

Like A Tiger looks hard to bet imo in this. Won so easily against a horse that is also an improver last time. On at 5.5

Warning Sign runs in the last at Newmarket today. The price is nowhere near as sexy as the opening show a fortnight ago but 9/2 is acceptable given how far ahead of the handicapper he seems. I've also backed Light Infantry in the 365 Mile - Native Trail will be tough to beat but the price diff between the two is excessive.

Surprised you never backed Muta, Euro. You fancied him a lot the other week I thought.

Last edited:
I did, completely different race today though. Light Infantry was favourite when it was at Sandown and given the trainer/jockey combo I knew he'd be held up and would possibly meet trouble in running (ironically just as Muta' did last year). Native Trail's presence put me off backing the older horse but Newmarket had me thinking LF would get a clear run through and of course he was much bigger pricewise today. This is just waffle though isn't it, I've just over analysed it. Oh well.

Happens to the best of them.

Reminds me a bit of when I have a race between two or three horses then pick the wrong one of the final three. Winds the hell up out of me. I can live with it though as long as one or two go my way. They say luck is supposed to even itself out.

Last edited:
It does Marb. I fancy a few this weekend but the rain forecast everywhere - I have horses I like at Newmarket, Goodwood, Thirsk and even Hamilton, is bad. Bit stressed.

NWM 3.00 - Bass Player 11/1, 4 pl (Sky) - market weakness is a worry (was half this price the other day in places) but I think he could be better than a handicapper as the season wears on so I have to stick with him in this company.

Ran like it needed the run, not hard-pushed when it was clear he wasn't going with the winner two out. Good pipe-opener and losses, as they say, are only lent.

I hope.

Back