What are you backing Today? Part 2

Warning Sign massive drifter before the off trails in last for gimp faced trainer Gary Moore. I might watch a re-run of Goshen's Triumph Hurdle to cheer myself up.

Saturday

2.35 Thirsk-Elusive Truth

Each Way @ 25-1

Be interested what her talented new trainer can do with the horse

I'll be backing Billyb at Thirsk tomorrow, as I reckon there's still plenty of potential in this horse. His win at the end of last season where he beat Chichester and recent Ascot scorer Chasing Aphrodite looks like really good form now.

Backed quite a few. Today I have new tracker horses acquired this season - Havana Blue at Goodwood, Yacowlef and Chartwell House at Newmarket. And some horses I followed with varying levels of success last season - BillyB at Thirsk, Admiral D and Jimi Hendrix at Newmarket. I've backed them all and I have a position already on Royal Scotsman in the Guineas. It's a fairly big weekend all things considered.

Words fail me. I looked through his form, he had none. What is the thought process behind backing a horse like this?

I had him second-top and had written:

King Of Conquest’s figure is highly tenuous, based on a line with What’s The Story in a valuable handicap in Bahrain last time. He might be one of these Godolphin big improvers that end up in G1s.

I dutched him and Saga with Magical Morning my other against the field (with apologies for aftertiming) but wasn't at all pleased with the ride Saga got. Magnet Cup for him?

Last edited:
That's fair DO. It's interesting, I'm gonna be taking a closer look at these horses this year in the good handicaps.

Well done by the way reet, I wasn't having a go. Just curious re the thought process.

As ever, the Godolphins in the handicaps at royal Ascot will be interesting. If they're winning good handicaps now the chances are they'll have better horses to come.

With you on Billyb, can run a big race today I reckon.

Way too far out the back early on. Another day for Billy.

Northern Express was on my radar after his fourth behind Fresh and Bless Him at Royal Ascot last season. Pops up today.

Just watched that race (KOC/Saga) again. I'm more inclined to forgive Frankie on second viewing. I think the gaps kept closing on him when he was looking to launch his challenge but he appeared not to be too bothered about not getting the run. I suspect he thought he would still win and the horse is most definitely one to keep onside.

I'm having a little bet on There's The Door E/W in the listed race at Chester tomorrow (2.40). I backed it the last day when she was so impressive when pulling away at the finish by nearly five lengths in a handicap at Doncaster. Whether she is good enough now stepped up in class against this opposition remains to be seen, but I liked her win at Doncaster, she looks to have improved substantially over the winter and she comes in this race on the up I reckon.

Last edited:
Back