What are you backing Today? Part 2

Nah I bottled it, Barj.

I convinced myself she stopped a bit too soon at Nottingham so stuck somethimg else in the Saturday yankee.

Funny old game.

That was one weird race for the Victoria Cup.

They've obviously gone far too fast down the near side but you could call the winner at halfway on the far side. One to bear in mind has to be Vafortino in third who forced the pace and kept on surprisingly well compared with the other front runners.

Oh no. I had just been talking about how I’d stayed next to the Margason yard when I spent a few days in Newmarket and thought to myself that I should back her as a coincidence bet. But I didn’t.

Chasing losses to a degree but I've gone with Inquiring Minds at 10/1 in the Derby Trial. Interesting to see what a Kingman out of a stout mare's line can do and the Gosdens tend not to tilt at windmills.

Going to try one of the Debut Handicap, Down in Class, Up in Distance runners although they’ve not been performing well as yet.

Dornoch Castle 2:10 Haydock 13/2 (from 14/1 early price last evening). This is Class3 over 1 mile and has been running in Class1 (at the back!!) over 7 furlongs which is not really a hugely significant jump in distance. Not a full bet.

Had a try, but rubbish. I’m too impatient to get going with these.

I'm tempted to back Edward Cornelius in Hamiltons 5.45 tomorrow. That run at Hamilton last season when he dead heated with I'm A Gambler in second place behind Rathbone, worked out well with I'm A Gambler subsequently winning four races including a valuable pot at Leopardstown and a listed race at Redcar.

This is really just a case of taking a chance on Edward Cornelius coming back to that form. I suppose looking at his form from 2021 and 2022, some of his best runs came at the start of the season.

So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for that last effort on his first start this season and chance him off this mark of 85 on this good to soft ground which I think should be ideal.

Last edited:
Backed Power of Gold in the 8.05 at Newmarket. The fav will be hard to beat, the form of his last race has worked out really well. However I liked the way the selection finished at Redcar and the horse who won that race, Coverdale, has also franked the form - I thought he was worth chancing at around 11/2.

Ripon Shigar. This Haggas 4yo caught my eye last year when running behind Yantarni on the July course last August. I expect both horses to have good years. I was gonna leave this one alone as he opened 2/1 last night but he's drifted to 4s and although that's a tad worrying, there's a very good chance this is a pipe opener, I'm prepared to risk it.

Shigar was disappointing at Ripon but the ground went soft and he clearly didn't appreciate it. Back over a decent surface again today at Newmarket I'm happy to give him another chance.

He’s just popped up in my tracker...don’t remember putting him there but obviously did for a reason :lol:

Back