What are you backing Today? Part 2

1.50 Ascot
Doyen Breed will handle the ground unlike some of the others and looks moderately progressive. Went in at 6/1 last night

2.25 Ascot
Took 6/1 Fiddlerontheroof earlier in the week but wouldn’t be backing him at 5/2. Caribbean Boy interesting at 7/1

3.38 Ascot
Fakir d’Oudaries to outclass these for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E/WTrebles
5:05 Winc...William Philo 11/2 E/W 5 Places
4:10 Asc....Bean In Trouble 11/1 E/W 4 Places
2:25 Asc....Caribean Boy 7/1 E/W 4 Places
4:40 Gow....Brandy Harbour 11/2 E/W 3 Places
3:38 Asc.....Mister Fisher 6/1 E/W 3 Places
2:05 Hay.....Top Ville Ben 15/2 E/W 2 Places
3:00 Asc.....Highway One O Two 9/1 E/W 4 Places
2:40 Hay.....Sam Brown 13/2 E/W 4 Places
2:55 Gow.....Low Lie The Fields 8/1 E/W 5 Places
3:15 Hay....Bushypark 6/1 E/W 3 Places

It's a pretty quiet day for me.

Haydock
BDM & Mint C, covered now by Secret R.

Ascot
Annual Invictus
Larry & Regal Encore (but FOTR might just be too good)
Zacony R & Piccadilly L
Fanion D'E

If I'm far enough in front by 3.15, I might put all profits on Goshen. Should be shorter than 4/5 I think. But I'll probably shite it out of that one.

I've had to go with Caribean Boy in the 2.25 - this market has changed this morning with Ask me Early going to Wincanton instead yet the selection has stayed the same price. Looks very solid ew at 7/1 - Sojoun is respected and obv Fiddler... is classy but the Venetia 2nd fav is out of the weights.

Yes, all a bit hazardous with the weather.

Fakir D’Oudaires - took 9/4 last night, now 5/2 which doesn’t inspire me with confidence so won’t add. Asc 3:38
The Galloping Bear. - took 11/2 money back 2-4 with PP. Hay 2:40
Hillcrest - 5/4 too short for and I won’t like it if it drifts so probably leave alone. Hay 3:50
Fern Hill - drifting and outsider of the party. Noted in running horse so will have a small (very) interest. Asc 1:50

Ps: just posted this and saw Euro’s. Forgot to mention Caribean Boy who beat Fiddler at levels and now gets 6lbs. May have a dip (specially now euro’s on board :))

Last edited:
Yes, all a bit hazardous with the weather.

Fakir D’Oudaires - took 9/4 last night, now 5/2 which doesn’t inspire me with confidence so won’t add. Asc 3:38
The Galloping Bear. - took 11/2 money back 2-4 with PP. Hay 2:40
Hillcrest - 5/4 too short for and I won’t like it if it drifts so probably leave alone. Hay 3:50
Fern Hill - drifting and outsider of the party. Noted in running horse so will have a small (very) interest. Asc 1:50

Someone is knocking The Galloping Bear in with a sledgehammer.

4s fav now.

I'm surprised Blaklion has been mentioned by so few for the Haydock race. The only tractor to handle the conditions last time out. Looked back to something like his old self this year.

Fiddler was never travelling there. A tremendous ride to even get second

That's what I was thinking although it did look a wee bit better from about four out. Great trial for the National and not a bad one for the Gold Cup.

Great run from Regal Encore too. Shame his running style (out wide) will always compromise his chances. Hopefully they just retire him now.

I have to say, I thought the best tactical ride won the race.

**** off Haydock
Trainer clearly didn't have Secret Reprieve off
That was so ugly. Some sack of **** yak with no form beating a warrior like The Bristol.
Haydock - bin.

Best stayer won. Thought Blaklion would finish at worst.

The other one for the conditions today is Two For Gold at Ascot. Wouldnt be remotely good enough for the likes of Fakir and Fanion over 2m4 on good ground. He beat Dashel Drasher last time out. He is basically a three miler, and only got into the race because he coped with shite ground after being niggled early. In the end, he was waiting for DD up the run in and when passed 50 yards out, got woke up and got back up. PLenty left IMO. He is a grinder and I dont think he will get behind today. 25/1 ew.

**** off Haydock
Trainer clearly didn't have Secret Reprieve off
That was so ugly. Some sack of **** yak with no form beating a warrior like The Bristol.
Haydock - bin.

Yeh, just like at Chepstow. The market weakness presaged a poor run.

Maybe hold off now until the money's down.

Best stayer won. Thought Blaklion would finish at worst.

The other one for the conditions today is Two For Gold at Ascot. Wouldnt be remotely good enough for the likes of Fakir and Fanion over 2m4 on good ground. He beat Dashel Drasher last time out. He is basically a three miler, and only got into the race because he coped with shite ground after being niggled early. In the end, he was waiting for DD up the run in and when passed 50 yards out, got woke up and got back up. PLenty left IMO. He is a grinder and I dont think he will get behind today. 25/1 ew.

I've taken 3-figure odds to small money at the exchange for the National just in case.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not unhappy about that long odds punt for the National myself.

Quite surprised at the very negative ride Fanion got and that was compounded by a couple of fiddly jumps. It looked to me like Deutsch's plan was to stalk Fakir and see how he got on but he got outpaced - although I didn't think Deutsch looked too bothered about it - and stayed on well from two out.

Last edited:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not unhappy about that long odds punt for the National myself.

Quite surprised at the very negative ride Fanion got and that was compounded by a couple of fiddly jumps. It looked to me like Deutsch's plan was to stalk Fakir and see how he got on but he got outpaced - although I didn't think Deutsch looked too bothered about it - and stayed on well from two out.

Thought he had it for about 50 yards after after the second last. It's be slow enough backing any of the finishers for the rest of the season. Two gruelling efforts from Two For Gold in the last month

Carlisle 4.37 The Con Man 5/1 B365 - taking on the short priced favourite who has ran on the forecast heavey ground 7 times and has only a single place to his name in those 7 runs, McCain and Hughes in great form as well. Horse is off a near 2 year absence wich explains the price but McCain well capable of having him ready.

Carlisle 4.37 The Con Man 5/1 B365 - taking on the short priced favourite who has ran on the forecast heavey ground 7 times and has only a single place to his name in those 7 runs, McCain and Hughes in great form as well. Horse is off a near 2 year absence wich explains the price but McCain well capable of having him ready.
No joy, travelled powerfully until between 3 and 2 out and when Hughes pressed the button he emptied quicker than my wallet on a Friday night. Will be interested next time out for sure.

Paul Townend available at even money to be top jock. With Elliots winners likely to be spread between Russell and Kennedy, surely this is a max bet?

Paul Townend available at even money to be top jock. With Elliots winners likely to be spread between Russell and Kennedy, surely this is a max bet?
Patrick will be on two of Mullins winners and Elliot will have more handicap winners, but yeah evens seems a solid bet, I'd prefer evens on Allaho though, a lot can happen over 4 days.

Patrick will be on two of Mullins winners and Elliot will have more handicap winners, but yeah evens seems a solid bet, I'd prefer evens on Allaho though, a lot can happen over 4 days.

Ive had the most Im prepared to lose on that bet when Fakir went in. As good of a thing as he is, I couldn’t stomach losing anymore should something untoward happen.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar position with Honeysuckle, did up a spreadsheet of all my antepost bets and showed it to a mate and his reaction was "if the mare loses ill buy you lunch on the Wednesday"

Back