What are you backing Today? Part 2

I had the kitchen sink on Nicky Richards Kalooki Kid for my xmas expenses

I have 2 sinks in my kitchen so not the end of the world is it gets beat:lol:

Last edited:
That's some step up in form from Crambo after not winning a handicap off 139 (probably should have).

Between that and his price relative to what he had to find on the ratings, I thought he was a total barge pole job today.

I must admit I was urging old PP on after the last once it was clear DD was done for.

But does it mean the stayers over here are pretty shite?

Victtorino is way better than the bare form of that win.

Gave up the outside to nobody virtually the whole way round, made several niggly mistakes and still came there easily two out and the first two left the others for dead.

That's some step up in form from Crambo after not winning a handicap off 139 (probably should have).

Between that and his price relative to what he had to find on the ratings, I thought he was a total barge pole job today.

I must admit I was urging old PP on after the last once it was clear DD was done for.

But does it mean the stayers over here are pretty shite?

I put Crambo up at 8s on the ante-post thread because the ratings the OAP's have are absolute nonsense.

They're hardly nonsense, Euro.

PP was on 160 or more all last season, getting RPRs of 162 for the first two runs.

DD's form with SDB looked very solid and 159 looked about right for him.

Crambo was still only rated 142 today. It's hard to believe both the older horses' ratings were 17lbs and more wrong.

Edit - well done, by the way.

Last edited:
I think it’s more likely the oldies were running towards Crambo’s mark rather than that he was running towards theirs.

Looking at the result, BDO and GR appear to have run closest to their ORs relative to each other but that would still put the winner in the mid-high 150s. That's still serious improvement.

Stayers division has been an absolute piggery for years. I hate them all.

I very-much agree with Euro’s take on the pensioners. Good shout on Crambo.

Last edited:
General Officer was impressive last time at Doncaster and I'm looking forward to seeing him on Boxing Day in Aintree's 2.50. His run before Doncaster, when second behind Master Chewy was quite decent. Master Chewy running well since against a horse like Elixir De Nutz. The third horse called Martator, who was miles behind the winner and General Officer, ran well in second the other day. So that form looks solid. I'm hopeful General Officer can take another step forward at Aintree.

Last edited:
Bucksy Des Epeires looks like one to get stuck into in the 1.40 at Aintree.

He gets all of 25lbs from Minella Drama which is a huge ask of McCain's inconsistent gelding.

I’m not as sold on this horse as others evidently are, but on this ground at this trip, Giovinco starts to look a very backable price at 3/1.

Despite my ongoing love affair with Frenchies, I’m not at all convinced that Il Est Francais is at the same sort of level as some of the great French-trained horses we’ve seen over the years, and there has to be a question-mark about him acting on ground this quick (has won on ‘Good’ at Auteuil, tbf). My main concern with him is the pace they will go. It will be helter-skelter quick, and take a lot of jumping - two things which just don’t apply in the vast majority of races at Auteuil.

Nicholls obviously thinks he knows what he has with Hermes Allen, and probably deserves to be favourite. I just wonder about the trip for him, and whether this is a race that’s been defaulted to, because the track wouldn’t suit Stay Away Fay. I think Giovinco can outstay him here, and will meet SAF in the Brown Advisory, with Hermes Allen eventually ending-up in the Turners.

Giovinco absolutely friendless. Have gone in at 5’s to test my theory - though admittedly, the market says it can’t win.

Last edited:
Have it on good authority that Sky Lord (3.30 Leop) is a bit special.

Separately, and just an observation, this may be the day Karuma Grey (2.40 Limerick) starts his winning sequence

Damn! Last time I saw a horse run like that at Kempton was Kauto...and I remarked then to my nephew, “take it from me, this is one of the greats!”

This Ile Est Francais is very, very good!

Apparently Paul Nichols holds a similar view and makes the same comparison.

Last edited:
I’m not as sold on this horse as others evidently are, but on this ground at this trip, Giovinco starts to look a very backable price at 3/1.

Despite my ongoing love affair with Frenchies, I’m not at all convinced that Il Est Francais is at the same sort of level as some of the great French-trained horses we’ve seen over the years, and there has to be a question-mark about him acting on ground this quick (has won on ‘Good’ at Auteuil, tbf). My main concern with him is the pace they will go. It will be helter-skelter quick, and take a lot of jumping - two things which just don’t apply in the vast majority of races at Auteuil.

Nicholls obviously thinks he knows what he has with Hermes Allen, and probably deserves to be favourite. I just wonder about the trip for him, and whether this is a race that’s been defaulted to, because the track wouldn’t suit Stay Away Fay. I think Giovinco can outstay him here, and will meet SAF in the Brown Advisory, with Hermes Allen eventually ending-up in the Turners.
Well, I’ve certainly going to have a love affair with this frenchie! What have we seen here? Mind blown….

I really enjoyed watching that. The sectionals will be interesting.

Just makes me all the more annoyed about the ride July Flower got.

Back