What are you backing Today? Part 2

Here's two horses I'm liking for an interesting days racing on the television tomorrow.

Haydock 1.15 The Timothy Easterby trained horse, Candonomore, could be the one here. He won nicely over course and distance, albeit in a maiden last time. Being a French bred, you fancy he'll really appreciate the cut in the ground. He's well worth his place in the betting.

York 2.45 I looked again at Thunderbear's profile, and I hazard a guess he's improved since the gelding operation. He caused that upset last season when beating Nymphadora, and provided some cut in the ground, he might just go in again tomorrow at a fair price.

The same trainer has an interesting improver in the Irish 2000 Guineas, called me Take Me To Church. This horse obviously needs to step up again in a major way, but stranger things have happend, so maybe he can run in to a place at huge odds. A big day out for the trainer against the big guns it is then.

Plenty of interesting racing today, notably [for me] the Silver Bowl at Haydock which, like last week's London Gold Cup, is usually worth watching, but not a lot of betting material and stakes will remain modest.

H 1.50 - The ground has come for Vadream but the ground itself is dictating that stakes are kept very modest. Australian sprinters tend to be better than ours so Asfoora demands respect but he’s more used to running on faster ground. Live In The Dream is probably the most solid runner but this is his seasonal debut. The one I’m going to take a chance on to small stakes is Flora Of Bermuda as per the longshot thread.

H 3.30 - Solent Gateway (20/1 taken) is 6lbs lower than when a close third in a £100k handicap last summer. That was on fast ground but he does have older form on soft and good AW form on ‘slow’ ground. It’s a risk, but Murphy is 42% and 68% first four finishes for the trainer this season so I have to be hopeful.

G 3.10 - I’m not sure what happened to Get Shirty last week. I watched the race and the winner came from well back, making me think it must have been a fast pace but sectionals say quite the opposite. Maybe a stronger pace here will help him a bit more. Adjuvant was on my radar at Newmarket last week but was pulled due to the fast ground. This should be more to his liking. All of them will probably need to go up the ratings to get into the big summer mega-handicaps so I expect them to be trying. I'm sticking with Get Shirty and saving with Adjuvant.

Y 2.45 - Hiya Maite is worth chancing as per the longshot thread. A lot of these will probably be aiming at the Dash next week but the entries for that aren’t out yet so we don’t know, and Hiya Maite could be one. There’s probably at least four handicapped to win this today so it could be a hot race if they’re all trying. They’re all backable prices too so I've done so (the others are Manila Scouse, Copper Knight and Rabaah), with Rabaah for cover.

Y 3.20 - This is quite valuable for a fillies-only G3 race so I thought I’d check it out as they’re likely to be trying. Marie’s Rock could have a shout if she can translate her hurdles form on her Flat debut but it’s a bit of an ‘if’. Trevaunuance went up to 110 for a big run in the G1 Preiss von Europa in Cologne last back-end and would have a shout on that form. River Of Stars, though, looks the progressive type and her trainer excels with fillies and mares so it’s easy to see why she heads the betting. I don’t think I’d want to look beyond those three but won't bother with a bet.

Ch 4.05 - Baradar is understandably favourite but I have two rated higher so have backed both: Boardman (7/1) and Paws For Thought (10/1).

Be lucky, everyone.

1.30 Goodwood. THE CAMDEN COLT. This was going to be my selection for the longshot thread,at 25/1,but woke up this morning to see it well backed over night into 8/1. So put it into this thread. Can see this horse running a big race today, and hopefully with a bit of luck in running, will hopefully be collecting.

Got 16s on Blue Prince for that Goodwood opener earlier in the week. He vibes as an unlucky loser coming from the rear but I had to get involved at that price.

I'm against Dessie at Goodwood, True Legend looks solid af for his race. I don't get heavily involved sub 7/2 so have him in a double with Baradar at Chester.

Busy tomorrow but my sole focus will be on the betting and run of Dr Sanderson in the last at Cartmel.

Have a good day tomorrow all.
A small profit made but then again any profit is better than no profit at all.
But i'm in one of my (many) cantankerous moods this morning and i have to repeat a rant i had on the previous forum i was on
I havent had the sound on either racing channel for about six years now mainly because i was so sick of listening to nonsense, virtue signalling and those "presenters" who think that the show is all about them and the racing is just a side show.
But i also have the sound off when certain commentators are on and sadly, David Fitzgerald seems to have somehow made the Cartmel gig his own. He can be nauseating at the best of times but at Cartmel he just "excels" himself. We get told every time they pas the Sticky Toffee Pudding shop, every time they pass the Old Priory. the Old Grammar, the Woodside straight, rounding Sevenacres. Every bleedin time !!!
I switched the commentary on at the start of the first race just to check it was him and as soon as i heard his voice, the sound went off again. But a mate got in touch later and confirmed that he mentioned them all on every lap in every race. Its as if he had never been to the track until a few years ago to do the gig and he now wants to pass his "vast knowledge" of the track onto everyone else.

Nauseating !!
Rant over.

Have a good day all. :)

As stated as nauseaum, my exposure to the imo universally-obnoxious racing coverage on ALL channels is confined to tuning in at post time, watching the actual races on mute, then swiftly switching off as they pass the post.

And it's for many of the reasons QC states.

I need to be told that overrated lousy viewing track - rules racing's answer to Peper Harow - is at the home of a brand of sticky toffee pudding for the 286th time like I need a hole in the head - I don't even like sticky effing toffee pudding.

Ballyfinn (opened 9/1 last night) might be worth a look in the 3.50 Fontwell today, though taking it to Ascot twice in the course of obtaining a mark possibly wasn't the best idea ever.

As stated as nauseaum, my exposure to the imo universally-obnoxious racing coverage on ALL channels is confined to tuning in at post time, watching the actual races on mute, then swiftly switching off as they pass the post.

And it's for many of the reasons QC states.

I need to be told that overrated lousy viewing track - rules racing's answer to Peper Harow - is at the home of a brand of sticky toffee pudding for the 286th time like I need a hole in the head - I don't even like sticky effing toffee pudding.

Ballyfinn (opened 9/1 last night) might be worth a look in the 3.50 Fontwell today, though taking it to Ascot twice in the course of obtaining a mark possibly wasn't the best idea ever.
:)
A story i have told many times when Cartmel crops up. The first time i went there, which would have been in the late 70's. it got to the third race before i actually clapped eyes on a horse. Those were the days when crowds of 25.000 were the norm, the days when dear old Emlyn Hughes was always there. The place was packed and i didnt know where they started from and was just wandering round, listening to the commentary hoping to spot a big brown animal with a little bloke on his back. I decided to get myself a spot on the rail and not move and i would then be assured of seeing them all. I was positioned at the open ditch and saw my horse galloping towards it...................................and he fell !!! :mad:
No amount of Sticky Toffee Pudding would have consoled me. I cant remember the name of the horse but i do recall it was one of Arthur (W.A.) Stephenson's.
I have to agree with Ian, it is overrated. And it is also very expensive. Just take a look for yourselves on their website at the cost of getting in and also the cost of booking a picnic spot. But then again, they are nearly always sold out so those prices will never come down. As with everything else, they will always go up. If people are willing to pay it............ !
And again, i have to agree with Ian. A worse viewing track you will not find. But then again, are there any REALLY good ones ????

Back