What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alfie Spinner should go well in the big handicap at Ascot. He ran a corker behind Invictus and Bob's Worth over course and distance in February and looks on a fair mark. I like the booking of a claimer as well. Surely Nicky baby wouldn't bother if the horse needed it badly (even though he's a couple of pounds outside the handicap).

Last chance to take some of that Overturn 14/1 for the Arkle. Despite moderate opposition he only needs to jump a trouble free round for the bookies to half him in price.

Been loads of money for Sivliano Conti 13/8 I'd rather take the 13/8 about Une Artiste for the Mares Listed race.

I'm not convinced Sivliano Conti end of season win at Aintree makes him some sort of good thing for the Charlie hall and he's too in and out for me. Time For Rupert would win this on his old form but he can't be trusted to put his best foot forward either.

Currently 8.4 on the machine I like the chances of Midnight Chase here. Thought good enough to run in the Gold Cup and ran well to finish 7th he'll find this company more to his liking

Smad Place is bound to be fancied but I'm taking a chance with Restless Harry 7.6 currently to win the John Smith's Hurdle for the 2nd time.

Excelebration is very short but hopefully he'll drift a bit as Wise Dan will be very well supported.

I really like the chances of St Nicholas Abbey in this sort of company. Joseph O'Brien very seldom makes mistakes when he's on the best horse in the race which he appears to be on paper. Hopefully he'll kick of the first leg of a double for AOB

Last edited:
A few thoughts from me today.

My old mate Nazreef is declared in the 12:50 at Ascot, first time in a handicap hurdle. He obviously not a flat turf horse, with most of his wins on the A/W, and as the RP says if he takes to this game he is chucked in off a attractive mark here. I'm probably guilty of following this horse off a cliff but I think it could turn out to be well justified.

All about hoping my favourite national horse Sizing Europe can pull it off at Down Royal. The proven class horse in the race, I reckon he's got enough race prowess now to get the trip fine. Been with this horse since he beat Osana in the Greatwood and I've enjoyed watching him year in year out.

Mostly Bob (Ascot 3:10) is a horse I've been following since he ran a creditiable seventh at Market Rasen in the big summer chase there at massive odds. I reckon one of these days he's going to run a huge race in a decent handicap and has his chance here. Don't be fooled by the odds, if he gets the rub of the green he could be in the first four.

Last edited:
All about hoping my favourite national horse Sizing Europe can pull it off at Down Royal. The proven class horse in the race, I reckon he's got enough race prowess now to get the trip fine. Been with this horse since he beat Osana in the Greatwood and I've enjoyed watching him year in year out.

NR ground

Been loads of money for Sivliano Conti 13/8 I'd rather take the 13/8 about Une Artiste for the Mares Listed race.

13/8 is a skinny price to take about a horse who refused to race last time, I'd say. She's less exposed than the other pair, but that won't matter when she's rooted to the spot ;)

I'm happy to side with Time For Rupert in the Charlie Hall. He's had a problem or two, but his defeat of The Giant Bolster (hailed as a non-event at the time) looks pretty bloody good now, and he travelled best of all until the second last in the Gold Cup. He suffered from heat exhaustion there, and looked on the point of collapse afterwards, but recovered quickly. It's a blessing in disguise that he missed the remainder of the year, and I think there's an even bigger run in him at some stage, hopefully here. I agree with Tanlic re SC and Aintree, and I find that form at that meeting tends to be overemphasised.

Naturally, I'm all over Claret Cloak at Ascot (2:35), as I've always thought he'd be top class (2014 Arkle winner - you heard it here first), and he looks on a very good mark for his handicap debut. The Lavelle stable is luke warm at best, but that does at least mean he's a working man's price.

I'm looking forward to Claret Cloaks race at Ascot but I fancy about 5 others in it who might strip fitter so won't have a bet.

The most fascinating race on the card at Ascot is the Novice Hurdle at 2.00pm if only because AP rides My Tent or Yours for Nick Henderson/JP but Jonjo has decided to take him on with Taquin Du Seuil and put Barry Geharty on board.

Taquin Du Seuil has to give the Henderson horse weight plus his bumper form looks top notch.

It's no surprise My Tent or Yours is favourite and Taquin Du Seuil looks to hard a hard task but I'm having my 2 shillings on him.....if Jonjo didn't think he was up to it he could have waited and gone elsewhere.

Restless Harry is too big at 5/2 in the place market for the hurdle at Wetherby. Won this well FTO last year, has a penalty to shoulder but bar the favourite I can see him beating the rest of them.

doesn't look a strong Charlie Hall..Midnight Chase can give the penalty and still lead all the way

silviano looks one of the worst prices of the season

Last edited:
A good day for Nicholls with wins for three good young chasers and also for Tidal Bay.

You have to wonder what Nicholls could have done with Tidal Bay had he had him for his entire career.

Trojan Rocket @ 10.0, with three n/r's looks decent to me, in the 4.10.

For a horse that is 3/5 this season, you could argue a 10lb hike in the weights is fair. Has form over 7f, although todays test may be more like 8f.

The last run a Warwick can be ignored on two counts; 3 month lay off and sharper track.

SEA OF THUNDER is a big price at 2/1 (Cork 3.20). Can se him going off 6/5.

A good day for Nicholls with wins for three good young chasers and also for Tidal Bay.

You have to wonder what Nicholls could have done with Tidal Bay had he had him for his entire career.
Mind boogles. One of the few to win the Arkle and go on and win at Aintree he looked to have a huge career ahead of him. To be fair to Howard Johnson he was a complete nut job and may not just be the PN magic Ruby has the best hands in the business hands plus there could be some mellowing with age involved....whatever the combination it's working;)

Let's not get carried away, Fist. :)
He's won a slog of a chase, which allowed stamina to compensate for his inadequate fencing, and a poor early season staying hurdle where the favourite went missing.
Full marks to Paul Nicholls for some excellent placing, but anyone who thinks he's transformed Tidal Bay is likely to suffer burnt fingers before they're much older.

Last edited:
tbh Despite catching him in that chase he won last back end I took one look yesterday and immediately the panic set in..so while it's working for him at the moment it's still not got me 100% convinced he won't say stuff it next time.

Both his wins have come in races run at a slowish pace so and Ruby's not had to do too much to keep him in contention. It'll be interesting to see what happens if he runs in one where they go a right gallop.

I've backed Hildisvini to follow up at Huntingdon today. I was impressed with him last time out, and it seems the trainer's horses are improving a run so there could be more to come.

I was hoping for bigger than the current 5-2 but have taken it anyway.

Jonjo's Valley View appreciated the test when winning 2 on the bounce last winter, and wouldn't have been at all suited by the subsequent crawl around the tightish track at Bangor.
Carlisle's soft ground 3m 2f should be more up his street and 9/2 shouldn't be sniffed at.

Very nice performance there from Bold Sir Brian. Supposedly looked heavy in the parade but cantered all ove some decent chasers. One to follow I think.

Jonjo's Valley View appreciated the test when winning 2 on the bounce last winter, and wouldn't have been at all suited by the subsequent crawl around the tightish track at Bangor.
Carlisle's soft ground 3m 2f should be more up his street and 9/2 shouldn't be sniffed at.
Agree with you on this. But after backing Outlaw Pete at Cork I'm wondering if its one of those days...

Bad luck with Outlaw Pete, Marb (though must confess, I was one of the beneficiaries). Valley View came to win his race, but didn't quite see it out.
Onwards and upward.

Wolver 1.45 Passionada @ 14/1 BOG
Dashwood ( Currently 19.5)

Looks a wide open h/cap and no surprise to see a couple of on course gambles.

Iv'e gone for two horses that have been struggling this season. I would be more hopeful of Dashwood bouncing back but I'm not certain how busy they will be from stall 12.

Passionada has to return to her 2yo form, but she is lightly raced and gone through 3 trainers ( same owner), which cannot be ideal.

She showed early pace when winning her maiden and you could give her valid excuses for the 4 runs since. Her last run was her 1st for new trainer, off an 11 week break. Although 14 of 18 that day, the 15th has come out since and won a h/cap at Wolver.
Drawn in stall 1, I'm hopeful they will try and make all. Trainer/jockey/ owner had a winner last week.

Dashwood has the more obvious look of a series of non efforts, although that's no guarantee he retains the ability of last season. I'd have also been more confident if W. Carson was booked.

Best form is at Kempton, but his turf runs this season have the look of h/capping exercises, with 3 of his last 4 runs, ridden by jock's with no winning form at all.

For a horse with form over 6 and 7f on a decent surface, the last entry over 5f on soft with an in-experienced jockey, stands out.

He was made fav, when last here, in a C4 off 76 and comes here off 62 in a C6. Drawn 12 of 13 is a concern, but not enough to put me off.

Wyllie must be wondering why he has not done the Mullins and Nicholls job since the beginning of Inglis Drever

Backed Lucky Black Star in 3.20 Wolverhampton.hoping they hold it up a bit more today though.15/2 atm,won't be that at the off.each way shot to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back