What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confessional looked too big a price last night and see it's come in a bit this morning which doesn't surprise me. Easterby started in resonable form, 6 winners and 7 3rd places in the last 4 weeks. Interesting that they took it over to Meydan as well for the winter so shoul dbe fit and ready to go.

Dessy, I agree mostly with your assesment of the 2.40 but I'm leaning towards Yes Tom having backed Mr Moonshine in the national (can't believe I didn't back Sue Smith's other one!). I just think the national may have taken too much out of it even though pulled up. Plu the booking of Mccoy caught my eye last night and the fac tthat Ruby is on as replacement apparently means stable must fancy it today.

Tarraco is an interesting recruit for Venetia in the 1705 at Fontwell, availed myself of the 10s last night given handicap debut and money for it today. Won a couple of races in France and notice it was beaten by the very useful Triolo D'alene although can't find the distance it was beaten by.

Given Roddy's and Peter Bowen's form I'm goign to stick on Regal Diamond in the last at Ayr. On debut finished some 12 lengths behind Purple Bay which has since not been disgraced in towo class 1's. The second horse beaten 19 lengths in a class 1 subsequently also. Only in a class 4 today so may have more scope to improve although up against previous winners but Roddy can tell us better....

In addition might throw in Bowen's Pension Plan in the race before to make a Lucky 31 but undecided at present...

Will also be on Perlachy today (20.00 Bath), put it up last time because of it's declining mark but was pulled out. On the face of the numbers looks like hasn't been running well but never beaten completely out of sight. Course and distance winner last July with same jockey on board off 60. Egan had 5lb claim then and has only 3lb's today but mark is 53. Therefore effectively 5lb lower today.

Based on that looks quite a big price to me and I'll be having an each way dabble.

Last edited:
Best bet today is Petaluma in Newbury's 4:15. Last five runs read 33231. Horse has only had 12 starts so can hardly be in the grip of the handicapper, and has improved for the step up in trip. With just a 4 pound rise since last win, Petaluma has a damn good squeak today. Ground should be perfect and the horse has good form on galloping tracks, so Newbury a good place to go.

Last edited:
Confessional looked too big a price last night and see it's come in a bit this morning which doesn't surprise me. Easterby started in resonable form, 6 winners and 7 3rd places in the last 4 weeks. Interesting that they took it over to Meydan as well for the winter so shoul dbe fit and ready to go.

Dessy, I agree mostly with your assesment of the 2.40 but I'm leaning towards Yes Tom having backed Mr Moonshine in the national (can't believe I didn't back Sue Smith's other one!). I just think the national may have taken too much out of it even though pulled up. Plu the booking of Mccoy caught my eye last night and the fac tthat Ruby is on as replacement apparently means stable must fancy it today.

Tarraco is an interesting recruit for Venetia in the 1705 at Fontwell, availed myself of the 10s last night given handicap debut and money for it today. Won a couple of races in France and notice it was beaten by the very useful Triolo D'alene although can't find the distance it was beaten by.

Given Roddy's and Peter Bowen's form I'm goign to stick on Regal Diamond in the last at Ayr. On debut finished some 12 lengths behind Purple Bay which has since not been disgraced in towo class 1's. The second horse beaten 19 lengths in a class 1 subsequently also. Only in a class 4 today so may have more scope to improve although up against previous winners but Roddy can tell us better....

In addition might throw in Bowen's Pension Plan in the race before to make a Lucky 31 but undecided at present...

I put this in the forums horse connections thread but we think Regal Diamond is a hell of a horse. Bet from 7 to 3 this morning. Will be trying .;)

newbury 3:05
usually a hot handicap
So Beloved looks very well weighted and 5/1 looks a good price

Good luck Roddy -I have a thing about Vinnie Roes over 2 miles but I think the favourite is a massive lay and possibly a place lay-he breeding is pure flat and his last 2 efforts night look good on paper but I am far from convinced.

I'm drawn to Mr Moonshine whose form earlier this season behind Cape Tribulation has since been franked by both the winner and third in better races than the runner-up to McMurrough while Mr Moonshine himself has been running like he's been drinking the stuff. It's a bit of a leap of faith but you get funny results at this time of year.
Oh well, I got a run for my money and the mistake leaving the back wouldn't have helped but the winner wasn't really on my radar. Like I said, funny results this time of year.

Top weight Lord Singer (17:05 Fontwell) has been running well in better company and this heat might be more his mark.

Regal Diamond

Great Shout Roddy..!!

Took it at 7/2 instead of letting it go..!!

Won at a canter..!!

THX AGAIN

:confused:

Blewed-out royally yesterday, but have had a bit e/w on Rigadin De Beauchene (15:50 Ayr) today.

Good luck all!

small e/w on Crius today for the Hannon yard in 2:20. Good form from last year and goes well fresh, could sneak a place and is a big price.

Roddy saved me yesterday thankfully and it definitely looks like a horse to follow. I'm hoping he can do the same today with kians delight.

Sorry bolero I am also on rdb so probably jinxed it.

Aetna for easterby at Nottingham tonight was an extremely impressive winner first time out. Opening mark of 77 looks very low to me based on the manner of victory. Also gibbo at thirdly this aft and going to Nottingham for the ride.

Given the form gig has been on I cant leave captain Bertie alone either

Going to give Bispham green a chance today also but if he doesn't do the biz I'm not backing him again!!!

No, PTP, no way you jinxed it! Think the old boy feels he has done enough after a busy season? Nevermind, there's always another day. One very small bet today on Scottish Grand National, that'll do for me! Good luck!

Newbury 1.15 Never Perfect. 2 Win @ 14.5 ( Lay back in running @ 2.8/1.41)

Basically taking a punt on whether PCH can revive this horse and whether today will be the trying day.

Previous trainer had an awful time last year with only a 4% SR, so the first part of the challenge looks an easy task.

The 2nd part is trickier as he's raised in class here, even though he's struggled for lower prize money , so he could easily get a decent drop in his OR for dropping down the field.

I can't throw the decent strike of trainer / jockey combo of 27% as a positive, as Spencer has a riding arrangement for the owner, but she does tend to off load her low grade horse quite quickly, so it might be worth following this horse short term.

12/1 11/1 11/1 11/1 11/1 8/1 15/2 15/2

Steady late support for it now. Must be a few more guessers.

Only two races left for me.

I took 14/1 Saphir River last night so fingers crossed for it, and this morning backed Danimix (the one I mentioned the other day) and Fentara in the one after it.

The bits and bobs of place money mean I'll end up marginally behind if they all lose but one winner will put me nicely clear for the day. Saphir River would be a proper result...

4.10 Wincanton

Sidney Melbourne is well clear on ratings here..but trades at 2.18...the reason for that looks to be this horse needs a sterner test than this..stayed 14f on the flat.

Nearest oppo also looks staying stuff as well which confuses the issue somewhat..some of the bigger priced ones offer a bit of speed and it wouldn't suprise me to see a shock in this race.

I have got to Lay Sidney Melbourne here as could be made to look one paced late in the race

Last edited:
JamieSnowdown wouldn't be a trainer to follow but he runs 2 horses at Stratford today with good chances of getting him off the 13 mark for the season.

Houndscourt may be the least fancied in the betting of what looks like a 3 horse affair in the 1st but he's going the right way whereas Darley Sun looks there to be shot at and PN is no great shakes either.

The 2nd race looks such a desperate affair Soutine may be good enough to win it. He's a big enough price to be backing ew.

2ew singles and an ew double.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back