What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was probably asking a bit much of Pearl Secret when they ran him in the Nunthorpe as a 3yo but he ran really well finishing just behind horses like Bated Breath and Sole Power and with a clear run would have finished in front of them both.

I'll be amazed if a year on he has not improved past Sole Power and fancy him to win today with a bit in hand.

I wouldn't trust Noble Mission as far as I could throw him so will be siding with Dandino

If MJ seriously thought Windhoek wasn't fit when he won the Tattersalls Millions today's race should be a walk in the park for him

3 singles 3 Doubles and a treble will hopefully yield a profit

G/L all

Last edited:
It was probably asking a bit much of Pearl Secret when they ran him in the Nunthorpe as a 3yo but he ran really well finishing just behind horses like Bated Breath and Sole Power and with a clear run would have finished in front of them both.

Faster ground than they had at York on this track will not suit Pearl Secret imo. The last time Sole Power had conditions as firm as these he was second to Bated Breath in the Temple. That will be enough to win this.

Euro
While Sole Power's probably the best horse in the race, and any of the 3 he was behind on his last run would have these for breakfast, all his wins have come on flat tracks and I don't think his change of gear is nearly as effective over a climb to the finish. His trainer also thinks Newmarket wouldn't be his favourite track, and he apparently only runs here "to take the freshness out of him" before another crack at the Temple.
Pity really, because on all other considerations, he looked a laydown.

Last edited:
I make Noble Mission an odds on shot in the 310 at Newmarket-the 2/1 guaranteed is a great price for trading or a straight win.
I wouldn't back Noble Mission with my worst enemy's money. I was on last time and vowed never to put money on him again.

I've loaded the scattergun again for today. I like the odd speculative punt at long odds so here's a very speculative one:

EW double: Dance And Dance (2.05 Nwm, 25/1) and Anderiego (4.35 Thirsk, 25/1)

I entered the Flat season much later than usual after what has been my second best ever Jumps season in terms of both enjoyment and betting. My only AP bet (v. small) is a non-runner but my early dabbles in what is normally a losing period have produced a small profit to add to the betting bank for the season.

The Guineas meeting is normally one I regularly attend and has generally been enjoyable and profitable though I rarely find the winner of the '2000' but unfortunately issues that began to manifest at Cheltenham will prevent me from attending this and several other regular meetings for a while. The one benefit of enforced inactivity is the opportunity to watch TV coverage and spend longer studying form.

Tangerine Trees's form (2.35) did not take too much studying. He has won 3 of the 4 races for which I've backed him ( and put him up on here). 2012 was a poor year for him but he won his seasonal debut in the style of old and sprinters do have 'off' years. Positive comments from his trainer, evidence of my own eyes that he performs well at Newmarket, certainly handles the dip and optimum conditions for a horse that copes with most going, have led me to have a fair go at this one today. I'm getting too many "have to refer to traders" for the process to be easy but Betfair may be a solution. I feel Pearl Secret to be the main danger and will do the forecast.

Others that I have backed overnight are in order of preference, Red Avenger in the 5.35, course winner and the price allows one to ignore LTO, Robot Boy (4.25), a progressive sort and finally Basseterre (2.10). Maybe a small hopeful e.w yankee just in case my luck is in.

I wouldn't put this up on the 'will win' thread because that would be tempting fate but my best hope for a nice-priced winner today is Democretes at Goodwood.

I place laid him when he won his maiden but ever since then he has been a cashpoint on legs for me.

Three wins from 8 subsequent runs and in three of the five defeats he was fav, j-fav and fav?

I doff my cap to you. You're a lot braver than me.

Italian Tom in the 6.45 at Doncaster,His 2ND run of the TURF season form reads 1021 and only 2lb higher than when winning over C&D last may.33/1 with various firms.

Three wins from 8 subsequent runs and in three of the five defeats he was fav, j-fav and fav?

I doff my cap to you. You're a lot braver than me.

Look at the in running volatility in a lot of the races he has run in-the fact that he races on and off the bridle can cause confusion with the in running players.I would be very surprised if he didn't go odds on in running today.
Anyway-I don't want to be tempting fate-I am knee deep in this race.

Look at the in running volatility in a lot of the races he has run in-the fact that he races on and off the bridle can cause confusion with the in running players.I would be very surprised if he didn't go odds on in running today.
Anyway-I don't want to be tempting fate-I am knee deep in this race.
Fair dos. I don't bet in-running. Hope you cash in again today. I'm on Dandino.

I have had a trixie with a 3/1 winner, Noble Mission & Toronado, both at 2/1, have covered with a double on Dandino & Dawn Approach but am hoping my initial selections do the business!

Universal is on a real curve, isn't he?

I backed him a few weeks ago on the all-weather when he was third at 16/1 in a handicap but I thought Dandino would take him today. Even when Murtagh made his move today I thought Universal was always going to repel him. Cost me potentially a small fortune in lost multiples with Sole Power and other certs :whistle: later on...

I've loaded the scattergun again for today. I like the odd speculative punt at long odds so here's a very speculative one:

EW double: Dance And Dance (2.05 Nwm, 25/1) and Anderiego (4.35 Thirsk, 25/1)

Dance And Dance didn't get the over-fast pace he needed to pick them off and Anderiego got held in a photo after coming from too far back.

The ew portion on him covered the two ew bets and the ew double so I live to fight another day.

Can't see enrol and flashman getting beat and am doubling them up. Going to have a little each way on victories de lyphar and chunky diamond as well.

b/fair e/w doubles on these five.
NM 2.05 Willie Wagtail
Ham 2.15 Greenhead High
Sal 2.20 Mysterious Man
Ham 5.10 King Of Paradise
Ham 5.45 Lord Buffhead

NM 3.10
Gabriel's Lad (one point win @ bfsp)
Shropshire (3/4 point e/w @ bfsp)

I wouldn't put this up on the 'will win' thread because that would be tempting fate but my best hope for a nice-priced winner today is Democretes at Goodwood.

Same remarks apply here with Castilo Del Diablo at Salisbury but I'm seriously worried that Lee has the ride. Surely he can't f&ck this one up as well?

Any time figure experts about, EC1 or Giggs might be able to help or anyone else who is a keen time follower.
Boonga Roogeta 86 appears to have put up a remarkable time over 9fs yesterday in relation to the other races on the card, some 4 secs fster than standard in relation to the 10f race won by Windhoek rated 104 carrying 7lbs more, and only 0.3 secs slower compared to standard than the 2000 guineas winner rated 124.
Would seem on the face of it to have put up a very fast time and surely a repeat of this performance would give her a major shout today!

Any time figure experts about, EC1 or Giggs might be able to help or anyone else who is a keen time follower.
Boonga Roogeta 86 appears to have put up a remarkable time over 9fs yesterday in relation to the other races on the card, some 4 secs fster than standard in relation to the 10f race won by Windhoek rated 104 carrying 7lbs more, and only 0.3 secs slower compared to standard than the 2000 guineas winner rated 124.
Would seem on the face of it to have put up a very fast time and surely a repeat of this performance would give her a major shout today!

there was rain after the first race or two Stewart..but even ignoring that i didn't get that race the quickest of the day for class..Sole Power was fast as was Secretinthepark.....windhoek's race was slowly run with the winner dictating steady early pace..hence the direct comparison with Boonga isn't a fair reflection.

No, but you wouldn't expect it to have been the quickest for class would you EC1?
Only an 86 rated h'capper after all, comparitively over 1f further than the 2000gs but only 0.3 secs slower than a 5 length winner.
Incedently EC1 did you have a little bet on Secretinthepark, remember our thread about that horse last time it won at Kempton, put him up again yesterday on the olbg still only from a rating of 84!

no didn't do secretinthepark Stewart..in fact i can't remember discussing it..getting old:)

by fastest for class i meant above its own par..for instance secretintheparks race was 9lb faster than its mark[par]..whereas Dawn Approach was 13lb slower than par..the guineas looks to me like they went too fast early which has damaged the final time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back