What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you've baffled me there EC1, really don't know what you mean by par in this instance, but as i've said before i'm no time expert and you are far more informed than me. Its just when a horse like Boonga Roogeta keeps improving and puts up to me what looks a good comparitive time i wonder where its improvement will stop. After all beat Moment in time 3 runs back by 1/2 length and that won unextended by 11 lengths yesterday as well!

comparative times are ok if the race you are comparing with is truly run..Windchoek's speed figure yesterday was 56lbs below his handicap rating..a very slow run affair..so no good for comparing.

Same remarks apply here with Castilo Del Diablo at Salisbury but I'm seriously worried that Lee has the ride. Surely he can't f&ck this one up as well?

Yup, he can and did. Never looked like getting involved. Maybe I'm being unfair and the horse wasn't ready for today.

Following loughrane today, for Shia and Lula looks a good bet and nafa looks like should have a place chance after horses it beat recently continue to run well.

Always back Mick easterby when he has a runner in the last race. Today is aerodynamic and with gibbons up I wouldn't be surprised if there was a marked improvement

Monday 5/5/13

Entered Bath 2:10 - Mister Mayday

Trainer says, - "This horse is very exciting everything he does is completed with the minimum of fuss and he has the mind of a three-year-old already. He is the most straightforward horse in the yard."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

2-55 Beverley A J CROOK - fancied
---------------------------------------------------

3.15 Kemp
Saucy Minx - fancied,
------------------------------------------

Dineur 3:20 Ffos Las

Trainer says - "Definitely a horse to follow this summer, he won a h'cap hurdle last summer despite having a wind problem. He's been hobdayed as well as having a soft palate op and is a different horse. We've worked him hard and he doesn't make any noise at all now. He is on a very favourable mark and will start off in a novice h'cap chase at the start of May. I have him in good order at the moment."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3:55 Ffos Las - Strumble Head

Trainer says, - "He'll be a Summer horse and we deliberately put him away for the Winter. Last summer he won a Novice and a H'cap Chase at Ffos Las, so he'll be heading back there. His mark is still reasonable."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warwick 4:20 - Pleasure Bent

Trainer says. - "Showed promise in an ordinary backend Newmarket maiden on his first run.He looks another who should win a race or two this season."
----------------------------------------------------------------

5.10 NATEEJA - fancied

Last edited:
Couple of good winners in there yesterday Swedish - well done.

Today I have backed Big Time Billy at Exeter - 6lb rise looks fair and should follow up with trip/ground to suit. Perhaps Roddy could shed some light as I seem to remember he put her up before the Cheltenham win LTO.

Couple of good winners in there yesterday Swedish - well done.

Today I have backed Big Time Billy at Exeter - 6lb rise looks fair and should follow up with trip/ground to suit. Perhaps Roddy could shed some light as I seem to remember he put her up before the Cheltenham win LTO.

Me too :D hope Roddy fancies it today.

Tuesday 7th May

Kempton 4:10 Mandy The Nag e/way

Trainer says, - "Has a lowly rating that we think is workable."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exeter 5:55 VEXILLUM win
4 br g Mujadil - Common Cause.
Middle-sixties staying handicapper on the flat for Mick Channon. Well beaten last to Whipcrackaway on hurdle debut at Fontwell in December.

Trainer says - "The ground at Fontwell was no good to him and he's now just getting over a wind op. Ready towards the end of March on hopefully better ground." Came back in April and finished a close 2nd - looked like wind op and better ground did the trick - should improve but only small win bet as may be going for h'cap mark.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Won well l/t/o

7:25 Exeter - Big Time Billy win
------------------------------------------------------

Exeter 8:25 GUEST OF HONOUR - win
5 b g Hurricane Run - Pats Martini.
Ability both bumper starts, latest when length third of seven to Oscars Den at Lingfield January 29.

Trainer says - "The bumper he ran in last time was run 20 seconds slower than any other that day - a farce. He'll win a bumper or novice hurdle and then go to the May sales."

Last edited:
Quite a few I fancy having a small bet on today:

Eijaaz - looks to be in decent nick and whilst I was looking at the Waggott runners (in particular corftamie) I think this one should be well handicapped to win this race.

Smalljohn - looks to have been out of sorts but Smart and Eaves in reasonable form and fancy this to outrun its's odds.

Dhhamaan - back on last winning mark and has the perfect stall for a full on frontal attack. Trainer's record at Kempton is plus £16 for level £1 stake.

Carrera - interesting upped in trip on handicap debut and Seb Sanders is up

No naynever - trainer's record at kempton is the only reason I'm throwing this in the multiples - I probably won't bet on it individually unless I'm having a good day

I'm having a few quid on Bijou Dan tonight (my namesake!), mainly because if it won and I hadn't backed it all I'd be pretty annoyed. Last won on turf in 2009, this race though, and and has been tumbling down the weights. Come back run was over 2m 5f and faded badly but looked like it was running well until completely running out of steam. may have been a smart move by trainer, alternatively it just could be complete codswollop and an utter guess from me again.

Wiped out yesterday with one 20-1 place to my name.

better luck today hopefully:

Drive Home 6.00 Newcastle

Hakuna Matata - 6.30 New - Dods/Eaves on form and Dods record at Newcastle is impressive, little bit of money for this, took 11s last night.

Six Wives - Southwell - been runnign well but not quite getting home, looking well handicapped and although I'd like a better jockey on board Billy Cray does take 3lbs off. Thought it should have won the other week but Mclean clearly looked knackered on board about a furlong out and got collared late on.

Good luck all

Also having a few quid on Olympiad on the Chester cup, has been well backed everytime so clearly something was amiss last time when didn't show up. Wouldn't be sent over here unless was running well at home...

Singersongwriter ....has to be a lay as others are open to improvement,,has teh new surface to contend with..and more importantly didn't settle last time which may again be an issue in this small field.

layed at 1.92

Chester 1.45. Assizes has the rail draw, which Fanning is expert at exploiting so he’s worth a punt. I also have w/p bets on Tellovoi. He was smart enough in Italy and would be a poignant winner for the Hollinshead stable. Very weak in the market here though, which isn't encouraging.

Chester 2.15. Gabrial looked smart last time and is preferred to the other obvious improver Danadana.

Chester 2.45. This will probably be all about Ruler Of The World. It was only a very modest race he won but is clearly thought a lot better than that. However, he’ll be very short and the yard has had favourites at 6/4, 9/4 and 100/30 beaten in recent seasons while 4/9 hotpot Soldier Of Fortune only scraped home by a short head. A case can be made for everything else but I've put my money where my time ratings are and gone with Feel Like Dancing who I noted elsewhere as clocking a very smart time at Newbury on my figures (EC1 disagrees) and who should improve for the step up in trip. I also took a punt on the Derby (40/1) in case he wins well.

Chester continues tomorrow and I fancy one in the 3.15 from trainer who had 2 winners and a second there today, Tom Dascombe's FAT GARY. Any rain that falls (it is forecast) will be to his advantage, a winner over 5f at this meeting last year he went on to run a decent 4th (of 4) behind the impressive Van Der Neer at Leicester (3rd has won off 85 recently). If he can break from his in-ideal draw (8/8) I think he'd have a great chance of making all. Visored 1st time tomorrow and bound to have been prepped for a big run here, 14/1 and 16/1 in places.

20/1 with VC now, I'm going in again if its raining!

Last edited:
I've been looking at that one all morning Steve and have been undecided, I'll probably leave it alone to give you a fair chance as I couldn't pick my nose at the moment.

Think I'm just going to follow some Fahey runners today although in the the 3 o clock at Goodwood I quite like Ocean Storm as a potential improver, the favourite looks worth taking on as a first time out with a few horses with a run under their belt. Looks decent value anyway.

Backed Beat Route last night at 9s and see price has come in so I'll lay it now to cover my bet.

Chester 2.15. Gabrial looked smart last time and is preferred to the other obvious improver Danadana.

Not sure he'll stay given the likely decent pace. Dutched Danadana and Bonfire who might have needed it first time out and who does have the best overall form.

Ribbons at Goodwood looks a decent bet also as was heavily fancied on debut.

In the last maiden at Goodwood Varian runs Shemaal with Atzeni on, looks too big a price for that combination to me.

a speculative back to lay on Ionisphere in the 5.50 at Clonmel..won a divison of this race last year and stable are in good form..3 won from last 6 at massive prices

currently 17.0

I've been looking at that one all morning Steve and have been undecided, I'll probably leave it alone to give you a fair chance as I couldn't pick my nose at the moment.

Well the rain has come, may not be as much as FG would like but it will help. Come 3.15 I may find myself balls deep in Fat Gary...... :blink:

You bar steward, I've got no chance of doing any work now!!!

Noted bar, thanks for the info, seems a fair bit of money for it though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back