What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been keeping an eye out for it since last year when saw it run in maidens. First time out this year given a gentle ride in a maiden for new yard over an inadequate trip. Think been crying out for the longer trip and been dropped in the weights. Also really like Harry Bentley as a jockey and think the extra 3 may make the difference.

Absolutely dreadful again couldn't pick a bogie on this thread when i put one up.

Two horses I have backed tomorrow - Scampian in Redcars 4:35 hasn't stopped improving in handicap company over 10F. Brouhaha is respected but getting on a bit now and this horse Scampian can take his scalp tomorrow, I reckon.
Edit. Scampian now a N/R. Going to take the jolly on with James Bethell's Spey Song instead who was second on my shortlist for this race. A precarious type having had just the one run this season as a three year old but first time in handicap company could see some improvement here.

Second fancy is an outsider in the 3:10 at Goodwood. Sharpened Edge won first time out this year, so a 52 break needn't be a problem. Still well handciapped to my eye and looks quite a speedy little horse. Goes fast out the gate so you will get a good run for your money, that's for sure.:)

Last edited:
The 3.10 at Goodwood looks a decent contest. I fancy Stonecrabstomorrow to run well from the bottom of the weights:

Positives:

- Has won at Epsom so should handle the undulations.
- Likes a bit of cut in the ground.
- In good form with four wins this season.
- Goes well for today’s rider.

Negatives:

- Tends to lag behind and come with a late run, so will need things to drop right.
- 5lb higher than last time.

At 12-1 I think this is a good each way bet.

I'll be onto the reserve bank of Hard To Swallow is beaten in the opener at Perth today - one of the highest rated 5yos (if not the highest) in Ireland last season, looks a match on paper and he won easy on his debut at Ffos Las and the yard had a winner on Sunday.

Evs looks massive and I'll be well on my way to the "reserve bank" should he get beat.

Martin

I hate to say it, but I'd agree with ya. I think I should just stick to when you tip your own :)

Not a bad strategy. The sickest thing had 2 others down to back yesterday at 22/1 and 20/1 by the time got round to looking prices had gone and left alone needless to say they both won. Could send you round the twist!

Cash seems to be coming in absolute bundles for Spey Song later at Redcar. :ninja:

Last edited:
Zip top in the Tattersalls tomorrow, 17/2 e/w. This horse was extremely highly thought of, and can easily be forgiven his last run in unsuitable conditions. Back on perfect ground, i think he'll win, and win well. Noted he travels for the right ground - unusual for Bolger to come across for a non group 1 2yo race at this time of the year.

The problem with Zip Top is that Tenth Star was really well fancied to beat him on his debut and was slightly unlucky not too. Tenth Star has subsequemlly proved himself to be useless. I would not only expecte Zip Top not to win, I'd expect him to be unplaced. I find it hard to forgive him his last run where he was last to moderate opposition. Good horses go close in any conditions. This is not a good horse.

I would go as far to say that Farrajj is the most solid bet on the card. Tell Dad franked his form with a facile win at Newmarket last Saturday. Zip Top's form amounts to nothing.

I've missed the prices a bit but can't help myself having a snide each way double Magic City 11/4 and Farraaj 5/4 at Newmarket today.

The problem with Zip Top is that Tenth Star was really well fancied to beat him on his debut and was slightly unlucky not too. Tenth Star has subsequemlly proved himself to be useless. I would not only expecte Zip Top not to win, I'd expect him to be unplaced. I find it hard to forgive him his last run where he was last to moderate opposition. Good horses go close in any conditions. This is not a good horse.

I backed Zip Top in the Curragh race that morning and knew I had done my money when the rains came. Manning always overly eases a horse (especially a good one) when its chance has gone. He was impressive FTO and Tenth Star franked the form in a winners race next time but had been admittedly poor since - 14/1 with Stan James is way too big IMHO.

I'll be onto the reserve bank of Hard To Swallow is beaten in the opener at Perth today - one of the highest rated 5yos (if not the highest) in Ireland last season, looks a match on paper and he won easy on his debut at Ffos Las and the yard had a winner on Sunday.

Evs looks massive and I'll be well on my way to the "reserve bank" should he get beat.

Martin

Mate of mine sent me this message this morning....."Got speaking to Martin Keighley in the o's and t's after racing at perth yday. He'd left Hard to Swallow with work to do yesterday, he's better than that and look out for him at Paddypower meeting". Not much good today to you though. He thinks Champion Court will win today

I backed Zip Top in the Curragh race that morning and knew I had done my money when the rains came. Manning always overly eases a horse (especially a good one) when its chance has gone. He was impressive FTO and Tenth Star franked the form in a winners race next time but had been admittedly poor since - 14/1 with Stan James is way too big IMHO.

Ah stop OTB. What formbook are you reading. Tenth Star beat trees in the Leopardstnwn on his next run. In fact there was only four runners so so how you can say that franked the form when he has been run over since is beyod me. To back Zip Top today you are assuming and forgiving the horse a lot and giving far too much reverence to his trainer. The bleedin obvious is that Roger Varian's colt Farraaj has bomb proof form and only has to run close to that form to win.

3.55 Newmarket-Farraaj

Wins if going close to last speed figure..2.25 with Boylesports [BOG]

Magic City for me today in the nursery at Newmarket. Has been hyped since his maiden win earlier in the year, but think today is the day...

Mate of mine sent me this message this morning....."Got speaking to Martin Keighley in the o's and t's after racing at perth yday. He'd left Hard to Swallow with work to do yesterday, he's better than that and look out for him at Paddypower meeting". Not much good today to you though. He thinks Champion Court will win today

Cheers qzy - would have thought he'd have been fairly straight for him to be running in September, won first time out last year and in a Bumper off a 3 month break.

Will look forward to seeing him at Cheltenham - presumably in the race they won with Champion Court last year, backed Court In Session at Uttoxeter and he looks in need of a test of stamina, as you'd expect for one with his profile and should go well in the staying Novice Hurdle.

Martin

You backed against Mart Lane? You really should have consulted the shrood card. There is a reason they call him shark.

Zip Top ran some race for a horse that was allowed touch 25s on Betfair.I nearly put a cup through the telly for leaving the winner go-he did me a nice favour when winning at Newmarket on the Friday of Galway week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back