What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe d price about Lines Of Battle. Assuming he still has 4 legs he has to be a monster back to lay.

I was tempted to put Street Entertainer on the 'will win' thread. He looked on the way back over hurdles in the Swinton and if he can translate even that level back on to the flat he's ridiculously well handicapped. However, there are a lot of non-runners and he's now very short in the market for me so no bet but I will be watching with interest as I suspect they may be trying to get him re-assessed ahead of royal Ascot.

Auteuil
1.30 Le Grand Luce 11/4 S.James 10pts win

Nottingham
2.45 Street Entertainer 6/4 20pts win

Perth
4.30 Peachey Moment 20/1 3pts e/way

Last edited:
I was tempted to put Street Entertainer on the 'will win' thread. He looked on the way back over hurdles in the Swinton and if he can translate even that level back on to the flat he's ridiculously well handicapped. However, there are a lot of non-runners and he's now very short in the market for me so no bet but I will be watching with interest as I suspect they may be trying to get him re-assessed ahead of royal Ascot.

I noticed one of the owners is called Barnett and wondered if it was John Barnett who has a later race in his name - Plot Up?:ninja:

Sounds like that was quite comfortable.

Nottingham 4.15 ODELIZ £10 e/way sp - hoping it drifts as some big Newmarket stables have runners - currently 3/1 so taking a chance she drifts
Ch f Falco - Acatama.
Unraced at two and encouraging debut when under four lengths fourth of 14 to Valtina over a mile at Haydock late April.
"Big filly that was bought in France with the intention of going back for the premiums. Very happy with the first run but she has taken an age to come together. No end of improvement in her and I think she's pretty useful and I think she could get some black type. Ready to run now on decent ground."

I don't usually get involved unless it's on terrestrial TV. The only reason I alighted upon Street Entertainer today was because I was killing time in the bookie's this morning while m-i-l did some shopping! I noticed it while flicking through the cards and was stunned at its OR on the Flat. I don't normally even look at the racing midweek.

I was killing time in the bookie's this morning while m-i-l did some shopping!

Welcome to my world on a Saturday morning, only you can add the wife as well. Then right in the middle of studying you get the call that they have reached the check and can you come and help with the bagging up :lol:

Richard Hughes double at Windsor this evening:

6.30 Constantine - 2 nice winners already from his first maiden outing
7.30 Come On Blue Chip - Looks uncompetitive to me and clearly loves the C&D

Any returns will be going on to Dusty Storm (9.00) with a lay IR, as think he’ll blast out and not get caught, but should trade short just in case...

Newton Abbot
4.30 Minella Bliss 12/1- £5 e/way price bigger betfair

A chance is taken on this horse who looks on a good mark on his hurdles form - out of Old Vic and dams side Roselier and Little Buskins he's bred for a trip- Old Vic's tend to get better with age and Minella Bliss has his best form in the month of June. No real form in chases but has had only two attempts. If he jumps well he should be staying on when others have cried enough and hopefully this being his third run back from a break he's ready to do himself justice. I see a bit of value in the price.

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that said;

Since starting training in 2006, David Pipe has sent out 106 runners over jumps in FTB: 16 won, a strike rate of 15.1% £100 on each at Betfair odds would have brought you a profit of £7,022.

Not sure of the stats the last two years but 5.30 Royal Mile - qualifies, so having a fiver win @ 11.0 betfair

Made a post about this on betfair forum but didn't really catch anyones attention but in the last race at Windsor is Dusty Storm whom i thought ran a cracker here lto on 1st run for 7 months leading right inside the final furlong before finally being run out of it by March and 2 other decent horses.
Interesting thing is that this is another horse owned by the recently deceased Mr R Bedding an owner/breeder who has had many very good sprinters over the years, in Needwood Blade, Pivotal Blade, Noble Storm and Saturdays winner Artistic Jewel amongst others but all 100+ rated horses, i'll be dissapointed if Dusty Storm doesn't win tonight.

Should read Pivotal Flame not Blade!

Last edited:
I fancied him as well SJ, but unfortunately he only traded @ 1.32 IR and not as low as 1.25 where the bulk of my bet was! Still, at least I got most of my stake back, which is more than I would have pre-exchanges

On restless bay today, starting to look well handicapped and always done okay at lingfield, never beaten far. George baker a decent jockey booking in my eyes and looks good value.

I'm sure.Clive Brittain will be after a few winners over the coming months qnd I'm taking the tip with Hughes on board afkar.

I'm also having a speculative few.quid on quintet in the third at Salisbury, trainer won it last year and the penny seemed to drop with this one 2furlongs out before not staying. No surprise to see dropped a furlong and expect it to go off shorter and hopefully place.

SILVER STEEL 3.15 FONTWELL

Silver Steel is an interesting one today. He has travelled to Fontwell where Richard Ford is 3-10 but hasn’t had a runner since 2009 and is ridden by Tony McCoy who has had two rides for this yard in the last four years, a win and a third on this horse. Silver Steel ran in a selling chase last time that has worked out quite well with the winner and third subsequently winning. Silver Steel pulled clear of his field that day with Borolee but got outstayed. The drop back to this stiff 20f looks ideal. Blinkers are the chosen headgear with the tongue tie today and he has a win and a third from two runs in that combination. He can handle all ground and with three front runners in the race it will be run to suit.

Darnborough won a weak handicap chase at Southwell last time as he wished after market rival Turf Trivia departed at the seventh. He is up 7lbs for that but he should have the necessary improvement. He won a maiden point to point at Hornby Castle, undulating, in April and was second at Dalston, flat,before that. Both those races he made the running and looked to be crying out for shorter. Tom Symonds dropped him to 16f last time and that worked the oracle. He wasn’t unfancied. He has half a mile further to travel today and will get taken on if he leads. He should handle the track.

Celtic Intrigue was put in his place by Cloverhill Lad in a Novice chase last time but that horse has placed twice since off 8lbs higher. Celtic Intrigue is an 11 race maiden under rules. However, Brennan and George are 3-6 in handicap chases at Fontwell. He should run well but being by Celtic Swing this distance is right on the limit for his progeny and this is a stiff 20f. If he tracks the pace like he did last time he may well not get home.

Lajidaal has won both his races at Fontwell from 8 attempts and he general runs his race. He is 0-12 beyond 18.5f.

Mutab is 0-5 beyond 17f and his only win under NH rules is a selling hurdle.

One For The Boss is 0-9 under rules and has shown nothing.

Benefit Evening is 0-14 under rules though this is just his second chase. He was pulled up behind Themilanhorse last time and he will find this easier. The closest he has ever got to winning when having to jump an obstacle is a 19l 4th in a maiden hurdle two years ago.

She’s Humble has never won a hurdle or chase with more than six runners, 0-41.

Conclusion: The top three in the betting should dominate this and with three front runners in the field it should be run at a quick pace. Darnborough is another who can lead and that would not be beneficial to him here. He can run well but off 7lbs higher in a race not run to suit he is passed over. There are stamina doubts about Celtic Intrigue so this is best left to Silver Steel. He will stay this trip no problem and the booking of McCoy on a rare visit for Richard Ford swings the verdict. Silver Steel looks a banker to place and if he gets the pace he needs to chase, he should be able to pass some tired horse in the home straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back