What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ger Lyons stable is bubbling into form over the last 2 weeks or so.

At The Curragh today both horses he sends have nice profiles Given the fact that Lyons doesnt train his horses to win first time out and his current form, they're stand out as ones to be on the right side of for me.

Of the pair I think Dr Funkenstein is the better bet. With only a couple of likely improvers, and a couple of other exposed but reasonably rated sorts, its more likely that trouble in running is the worry for this lad than any of the opposition.

Saxo Jack faces more potentially above average opposition in his race. While he should be thereabouts, of the pair I feel the former is THE bet on the card.

Good shout with this one Hezz.

The blunderbuss is loaded and aimed at:

Ruler of the World
Jack Dexter
Barracuda Boy
Ile De Re/Blue Bajan/Crackentorp
Santefisio
Harris Tweed
Producer
Cry Fury
Rawaki
Questioning
Poole Harbour

I quite like Jim Bolger's 5 runners at the Curragh today - his first runner is obvious and will be long odds-on I expect but I think the other 4 look value odds so will do all 5 in win doubles - small e/way 4 folds and e/way acc. Hopefully 1 double with odds-on shot will almost cover bets, anything else a bonus.

2.20 Newmarket Love in the Desert.

Was tempted to put this on the will win thread but then thought again!

Know the horse is very well thought of and fancied.

Couldn't have won easier last time and debut 3rd form has been franked by winner at Ascot. The 20/1 is well ott.

Couldn't have won easier last time and debut 3rd form has been franked by winner at Ascot. The 20/1 is well ott.

Not far away at all there, Nice each way collection.Thanks for putting up.:)

Got upset in the paddock appar, all considered, ran a blinder

The blunderbuss is loaded and aimed at:

Ruler of the World
Jack Dexter
Barracuda Boy
Ile De Re/Blue Bajan/Crackentorp
Santefisio
Harris Tweed
Producer
Cry Fury
Rawaki
Questioning
Poole Harbour

Just past the halfway mark and I'm ahead for the day, thanks mainly to Rawaki, which I took at 14/1 and again at 8/1 w/o the fav.

A single on Producer has topped that up and I've got it going on a double with Questioning.

I also took Jack Dexter in a 2pt double with Ruler Of The World.

nice work DO

am laying this right stuff in the 8.00...can get tapped for toe here..needs a lot further than this and isn't as far in front of these as his rating of 79 suggests at 12f

Last edited:
nice work DO
I'm a wee bit angry with myself, tbh.

I was too hasty in my decision making. The thought occurred to me after I'd started watching the races that a number of those would have bigger targets in mind.

Santefisio may have found this coming too soon but they may also have been making sure he went off the radar to some extent.

Cry Fury was just out for a gallop, obviously prepping for something better in the coming weeks.

I didn't see Questioning or Poole Harbour. I'll need to check the replays. Likewise Barracuda Boy's race. I wonder if there was more to it than meets the eye regarding Kingscote's 'illness' today.

No complaints about the big race. Maybe just not soft enough for Ile De Re. Blue Bajan met trouble in running but probably wouldn't have won. Glad Oriental Fox got caught. One for the Ebor.

Overall, an unusually heavy day's punting which I don't plan on repeating any time soon. I got away with a decent profit on the day but it could have been bad.

The blunderbuss is aimed at the Curragh today:

3.05 Swiftly Done (25/1)
3.35 Princess Highway (6/1)
4.45 Cebuano (14/1)
5.15 Mijhaar (4/1)

I don't usually get the chance to check out the Irish form but had some time to kill last night and settled on these. I'm really only experimenting but if they all win I won't have to work again!

GAUL WOOD 4.30 WINDSOR

Gaul Wood drops in class after running well in a 0-95 last time behind previous winners Roserrow and Danchai. He had previous winners George Guru and Ashaadd behind him. It looks strong form. He was previously third in the Whitsun Cup, 0-95, from which the second finished third in the Buckingham Palace and the fourth was second in a 0-90. Gaul Wood is still 3lbs higher than his last winning mark but Declan Bates takes a handy 5lbs off.

Anya steps up in grade after finishing third in a 0-80 last time. Her formline states ‘never going pace of leading duo’ and she meets better horses here. This is her first time in this grade and she is going to have to improve to take part. Both her wins were on heavy ground. Ed Walker has just had one winner from 18 runners in the last month though he is 2-8 at Windsor.

Rees Rascal has been running well in class 4 but finds this step up in class beyond him, 0-4 in class3 and never placed. Nathan Allison is 2-3 on the grey.

Bronze Prince is 0-10 on good or quicker ground and is much better on sand, 3-5, as opposed to turf 1-15.

Circumvent has been tilting at windmills but he looks certain to lead in this drop in grade. Since winning twice as a juvenile he has never dropped this far in class so he will definitely find this easier. He is 5lbs lower than his last win but it is two years since he tasted success. His best form has come with some cut so he might find this lively. Nevertheless, he should run well

First Post generally comes good around July/August time but even though he has won six times over 8f, his record over 8.5f is 0-5, never placed. It looks like he needs a bit of cut these days as his last win on good to firm was three years ago. He is well handicapped but Derek Haydn Jones last winner was in January, 0-45 since.

Kinglami has been plying his trade in lower grades than this without much success, he is better on sand. He won a class 5 in April but is 1lb wrong at the weights here.

Conclusion: It looks like Circumvent and Bronze Prince should lead here. Gaul Wood has led and stalked so the pace is not going to affect him. It may well affect others as there are no hold up horses in the field. Whatever way Gaul Wood races here, he is not meeting anything like the calibre of horse he has been racing against recently. He has never been out of the frame in four races in single figure fields, winning one, and he looks a sound bet in what will be a tactical affair.

Rees Rascal has been running well in class 4 but finds this step up in class beyond him, 0-4 in class3 and never placed. Nathan Allison is 2-3 on the grey.
But he is improving and will make the grade sooner or later. I'd be willing to bet that it would be sooner. Today, even :)

i have to take on Thouwra in the 5.10 race..showed less than ideal attitude and is no odds on shot..one or two here could surprise with a few stables in form in this..layed at 1.83

Anodin (240 Chantilly) 'tanked' in the Poulains, and did well to finish only 2.5l behind today's fav, considering he ran his race early.
With the blinkers off, he proved much more tractable on his next outing, despite the small field and steady pace, and no surprise to see him reverse the form with Style Vendome today.

Interesting to see how folk interpret form differently and read MLM Robs comments on the 4.30. Just posted my thoughts on the race on the olbg so have copied here for comparison.
Do agree though that Gaul Wood is a worthy favourite.

4.30 Windsor-1m.

Ree's Rascal

Ree's Rascal steps up in class today from a 3lb higher mark than successful lto but think he may just about get home in a race where the priciples have doubts. Ree's Rascal runs well over this C/D with form figures of 122283 and has a race record over 1m on GF of 181 and is 141 under Nathan Alison. Those two 8s were both from this race last year so clearly has to prove he can step up to this class 3 level.
However this years renewal may not be so strong as last years,
Bronze Prince has a record of 1-15 on turf as opposed to 3-5 on the AW and his sole turf win was over 7fs on G/S.
Circumvent has run mainly over longer distances and hasn't won for nearly 2 years and not won over 1m since its 2 yo days.
Both on Anyas 2 turf wins have come on heavy going but ran a good 3rd at Sandown on G/F from 72 behind Forgive last year but is 5lb higher today.
Gaul Wood looks a worthy favourite and has good recent form and on a strict line through Magma should have the beating of Ree's Rascal, only negatives are has no course form but more importantly nor does the jockey.
First Post is a horse i posted up 2 runs ago and is looking well h'capped but hasn't shown anything recently to think he's about to strike with stable well out of form.
Kinglami hasn't run on turf since its 2 yo days so can't really be considered.
All in all think that Ree's Rascal overall C/D form and form on G/F surface for this young claimer gives him a very good chance in this race and will be very dissapointed if not in 1st 3 with doubts over some of the other main contenders.

Just to be sociable as I keep nosing in here - I've backed the two Ian williams horses at uttoxeter today, no reason - just thought they were worth a go each way...

Well done MLMrob, think we just about sussed that race between us.
Though god knows what happened in the race with that commentary!

Well done MLMrob, think we just about sussed that race between us.
Though god knows what happened in the race with that commentary!

Cheers.

Yours was a very good write up and like you say we got it just about spot on.

Nice when it works:)

Hope the race readers give more information on the race

Last edited:
GAUL WOOD 4.30 WINDSOR

Gaul Wood drops in class after running well in a 0-95 last time behind previous winners Roserrow and Danchai. He had previous winners George Guru and Ashaadd behind him. It looks strong form. He was previously third in the Whitsun Cup, 0-95, from which the second finished third in the Buckingham Palace and the fourth was second in a 0-90. Gaul Wood is still 3lbs higher than his last winning mark but Declan Bates takes a handy 5lbs off.

Anya steps up in grade after finishing third in a 0-80 last time. Her formline states ‘never going pace of leading duo’ and she meets better horses here. This is her first time in this grade and she is going to have to improve to take part. Both her wins were on heavy ground. Ed Walker has just had one winner from 18 runners in the last month though he is 2-8 at Windsor.

Bronze Prince is 0-10 on good or quicker ground and is much better on sand, 3-5, as opposed to turf 1-15.

Circumvent has been tilting at windmills but he looks certain to lead in this drop in grade. Since winning twice as a juvenile he has never dropped this far in class so he will definitely find this easier. He is 5lbs lower than his last win but it is two years since he tasted success. His best form has come with some cut so he might find this lively. Nevertheless, he should run well

First Post generally comes good around July/August time but even though he has won six times over 8f, his record over 8.5f is 0-5, never placed. It looks like he needs a bit of cut these days as his last win on good to firm was three years ago. He is well handicapped but Derek Haydn Jones last winner was in January, 0-45 since.

Kinglami has been plying his trade in lower grades than this without much success, he is better on sand. He won a class 5 in April but is 1lb wrong at the weights here.

Conclusion: It looks like Circumvent and Bronze Prince should lead here. Gaul Wood has led and stalked so the pace is not going to affect him. It may well affect others as there are no hold up horses in the field. Whatever way Gaul Wood races here, he is not meeting anything like the calibre of horse he has been racing against recently. He has never been out of the frame in four races in single figure fields, winning one, and he looks a sound bet in what will be a tactical affair.

reading posts like this take me back to the early days of forum reading..superb :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back