What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have to take on Thouwra in the 5.10 race..showed less than ideal attitude and is no odds on shot..one or two here could surprise with a few stables in form in this..layed at 1.83

I can't believe you layed @ 1.83 when there was plenty of 1.01 .

well done

The blunderbuss is aimed at the Curragh today:

3.05 Swiftly Done (25/1)
3.35 Princess Highway (6/1)
4.45 Cebuano (14/1)
5.15 Mijhaar (4/1)

I don't usually get the chance to check out the Irish form but had some time to kill last night and settled on these. I'm really only experimenting but if they all win I won't have to work again!

Well, that's an experiment I have no intention of repeating... :(

Monday 1st July

PONTEFRACT – Micky Hammond has 3 runners and one of the races is called 5.30 Micky Hammond Proudly Sponsored By Quoteline Direct Handicap – Quoteline Direct is owned by Mr John Wilson who owns two runners on the card trained by Hammond, including one in this race. The trainer has 3 runners and I think all are worth a bet. Good luck if you play.

Pontefract 4.30 ASTRUM
Gr g Haafhd - Vax Star.
Maiden last season but two from four this season over a mile and 11 furlongs, latest off 59 when beaten Nateeja a length and three quarters at Warwick May 6. Off 65 only subsequent run on softer ground at Leicester over ten furlongs May 28 and finished six lengths fourth of nine to Special Meaning. Now 64.
"The race he ran in at Leicester last time had some progressive horses in it. Unfortunately he couldn't get off the rails when he wanted to, didn't quite have the pace. He'll go to the July Sales because he's going to make a good hurdler but he'll run before that and should win, possibly over a mile and a half. Flexible on ground."

Pontefract 5.00 NURPUR - Trainer says, "She's a filly I hold in high regard and I think she has a load of ability."

The horse that beat REALISE (check Windsor 7.00 )L/T/O is.
NOBLE DEED - 5.00 Pontefract – I think he’ll run a big race here.

Ffos Las 6.15 GAELIC ICE
4 b f Iceman - Gaelic Lime.
Maiden with ability, moved from seven furlongs to 10 furlongs latest of five runs and second in handicaps off 58 and finished eight lengths seventh of 13 to Sehnsucht at Leicester May 27.
"She caught every bug going when she came last season and I couldn't get her right. After running well in a maiden she sprained a joint then came back this season and ran well in a ladies race at Salisbury so we quietly fancied her at Leicester last time but we should have made more use of her. I think the straighter mile at Salisbury will suit her better although she should stay 10 furlongs. She'll win a little race."Ran a cracker to finish 2nd last Monday at Windsor for the thread.

Ffos Las -6.45 CAPTAIN WHOOSH
Gr c Dandy Man - Caerella.
Nice debut when three and three quarter lengths third of five to Ben Hall over five at Haydock June 7.
"Typical breeze up horse that wants to get everything done in two furlongs. Nothing went right at Haydock when he got a bit excited. Will improve a bundle for that and is an out and out sprinter."

Windsor 6.30 NENGE MBOKO - Trainer says, " He had finished runner-up three times in his first 5 races so it was quite a relief to see him finally win last Autumn at Wolverhampton and he is on a mark of 75. He is a very dependable horse and will give us plenty of fun as a h'capper."
Has had two runs, needed the first them showed up well for 6f l/t/o over 7f then weakened. Dropped down to 6f now and also 2 grades from a class 4 to a class 6 and Richard Hughes booked at Windsor.

Windsor 7.00 REALISE - Trainer says, "We couldn't get him out last season he's showed plenty of promise. Related to Nazreef, he is going to be a fun horse in h'caps this season."
Has had 3 runs finishing a close second l/t/o and given a mark O/R73 - the winner of his last race was also on the same mark and went on to finish 2nd in his next race splitting two O/R83 runners. I should think the trainer is happy with the mark given to REALISE.

Windsor 9.00 SEVERIANO
B g Danehill Dancer - Time Control.
Encouraging debut when second to odds-on Bright Strike at Lingfield over seven March 27.
"He's done well and could go to Newcastle on April 15." Must of had a hold up as yet to race this season

Ffos Las 9.15 WINNIE PERRY
Ch g Assertive - Hayley's Flower.
Maiden with bits of form, well beaten last two runs, latest off 67 in seven furlong handicap at Leicester won by Pythagorean May 20. Now 65.
"He'll win a race off this mark and I've found a race for him at Salisbury on June 11, seven furlong 0-65. Wouldn't want it too fast." Only btn 1L l/t/o

James Doyle is a man in form and he rides one of Gig's to follows If I were a boy tonight. Job done.

He also rides Glenard who is taking a drop in class having been beaten 19 lengths by Trading leather and may prove underestimated.

I'm having a few small speculative each ways on Sextons House - only because I can see this one popping up at a big price and interesting dropped back to 5f today.

Luke Morris has a couple of rides today, on one for Ed Walker Carenades. Dropped back to 5f for first time since a break in April. Breeding looks ok and maybe worth a specualtive couple of quid. He is also on Spirit of Gondree that looks to have been running okay in defeat with handicapper slowly easing.

The other one I'm considering backing is Attention Seaker - I was given the nod by an owner in the Easterby yard that word had gone out on it winning and that one of the owners had gone to Carlisle to collect the trophy - Like a moron I put it on the Will WIn thread only for it to get mullered in the last 2 furlongs. Dropped in weight today but kept to same distance and stiff finish at Ponte doesn't like ideal given last time out's failing to stay the pace. May have been an Easterby plot but I just can't see it today. I may just have a few specualtive pounds on for a just in case it wins scenario.

Good luck all

WIND 8:00 OPEN LETTER 7/1
I have doubt's regarding the trip with If I Were A Boy. Is entered to run at Epsom over 1M4F where it has run well once before over that trip. However, it dictated the pace that day, before kicking on and then getting collared. The race didn't amount to much either.

Open Letter reared and wasted a bit of ground at the start LTO, in a decent prize money race. Did stay on and was closest at the finish and more so after the line. The race has worked out pretty well since, all things considered. Open Letter was also a relatively late foal, so may have need some time and could now start improving over these longer trips.

Not one for the 'will win' thread, but I feel semi confident, and at 7/1 couldn't resist having a small win bet. Famous last words.:whistle:

Last edited:
I am not seeing why Just Darcy is the fav in this race Chris..looks ordinary and will also get taken on for the lead..i'll be laying it..good luck with yours

Nice lay, EC. Typically, mine halved in price and didn't even make the frame. Only had peanuts on though, due to the distance. It can go into my results all the same as yet another middle distance loser.

Maybe one day I'll be able to leave them, save all the peanuts up, and stick them on something worthwhile instead.:rolleyes:

sounds like a plan

i've layed this sand boy in the next...beat a poorly handicapped horse lto and its a tough track to be prominent at with such as swendab alongside..could suit a finisher

Last edited:
Cheers guys:)

NET WHIZZ 9.20 KEMPTON

Net Whizz bumped into Sennockian Star last time and that horse has franked the form by finishing second off 6lbs in a higher grade. He was a Mark Johnston 3yo making his debut against his elders and Johnston farms those races this time of year. Net Whizz started his career in a maiden at Newmarket from which Rougemont and Mickdaam finished first and third. Clearly he has had problems as his next race was more than a year later but he bolted up over this course and distance beating Tropics, three time winner since. The fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh have all won races. He was well backed in his first two races this season and he clearly has ability. He has good form in 0-85 races which would suggest he can take one. Dettori is four wins and four places from eleven rides for Noseda at Kempton. Off the same mark as last time he has to go close.

Hill Of Dreams continues to improve but the handicapper has had his say. She has run well in a 0-60 and a 0-75 but the 10lbs rise in the weights and up in class to 0-85 makes her vulnerable. She has an excellent record over course and distance with 3 wins and 2 places from 6 races and Jim Crowley is 2-2 on her. Since the start of 2011, Dean Ivory is 2-41 in class 4 races at Kempton.

Shamdarley was very well backed last time and not for the first time he failed to deliver. He did bump into Cruiser who has franked the form off 6lbs higher. Shamdarley is on a losing run of 13 stretching back to October 2011 yet is still 4lbs higher than that mark. He was third in one of these qualifiers last year off 80; he may well still be a tad in the weights.

Silverheels has been tilting at windmills and has won one race from 19, his racecourse debut. He generally runs his race but he is 0-5 going right handed, never placing, and his best form is over 7f. He could be classed as very well handicapped but he appears to like a bit of cut.

Toga Tiger has been pulled out of numerous engagements because of the fast ground. He is 5-12 over 8f and 2-2 here. He won a nursery off 82, so in effect he is still well handicapped though I doubt he is the same horse. Jeremy Gask has taken him from a mark of 48 to a mark of 80. However, he was well beaten off this mark in a similar race last time. He should run well.

Pashan Garh is a 14 race maiden who has six seconds to his name of which 5 were on ground with soft in the title.

Dellbuoy comes from a yard that is 1-21 in class 4 handicaps at Kempton; the winner was three years ago. Dellbuoy was made joint favourite for a 0-85 at Windsor in June but appeared to lose his action. His two runs since have been poor and he needs a drop in class.

Commissar won in 2011 for Paul Cole and headed to Godolphin. He has been thrown out of that camp now and has had two races in 14 months. Clearly beset with problems he showed nothing on his only outing this season.

Living Desert is a nine race maiden. He run well enough when last on this surface but it is a leap of faith to support him given that his trainer is 8-136 at Kempton and 4-67 in handicaps. Toller is 7-83 with 3yos making their debut against their elders.

Conclusion: The pace angle is a bit clouded here as some have led before but not consistently. There is a lot that like to race prominently though.Net Whizz can make the running or be held up so the pace in the race won’t affect him. He cost $240,000 as a yearling and has disappointed on numerous occasions but he should take this tonight given the negatives about his rivals.

CATTERICK 2.30

MADAGASCAR MOLE

Was given in stable tour as one to look out for being from the first crop of G3 winning sprinter Captain Gerrard.

CHEPSTOW 7.10

HIDDEN BELIEF
B f Holy Roman Emperor - Crossanza.
Maiden with ability in three starts, one this season when eight lengths fourth of 14 to Mango Diva over a mile at Kempton May6. Debut mark 80.
"Big, long and scopey which caught us out because I thought she'd want a mile and she doesn't. Needs to go back to seven and should win her maiden ok."

KEMPTON 8.50
BISHOP ROKO
"He made his debut last year when taking a Newbury maiden by 6L, and the form was strong with several winners subsequently coming out of it. Unfortunately he had a setback and didn't run again until finishing 4th in a tight h'cap over 1m3f. He is quite lazy at home so I knew he would need that run and it was encouraging. He isn't going to be easy to place as the h'capper didn't take any chances with him by putting him on a mark of 95, but I hope he he can develop into a 100-rated horse."

CELESTIAL BAY 8.00 NEWBURY

At first glance Celestial Bay appears to be up against it here. She won a poor four runner maiden last time and races in her first handicap with the 3yo Front Page News in opposition. However, on delving deeper her trainer has an excellent record in this race. He has had a representative in three of the last four running’s of this race who have returned the following form figures; 112. She held an entry in an easier race than this at Warwick tomorrow and booking of William Buick looks significant as he is 8-40 for the yard, 6-20 in the first three of the betting, and has his first ride for Kirk since early May.

Front Page News is the likely jolly as she is 3lbs well in here and with the weight for age benefitting the 3yos at present, she looks quite strong. However, she is just 1-9 and on her only try at 7f over this course and distance she was running out of petrol in the final furlong. She is likely to be stronger now but this is a step up in grade from the 0-70 she run so well in last time. She will get the pace she needs to aim at as there are three or four runners that like to lead. Rob Eddery is 1-24 in class 4 handicaps and is 0-7 at Newbury.

Amosite is at her best when allowed to bowl along in front but she has company tonight and that has to hinder her chance. She has never placed in class 4 from 4 races. John Jenkins is 2-66 at Newbury, though Amosite was his first winner of a handicap at the track in June from 30 runners.

Lisiere was a one paced third in a much better race than this last time on her first encounter of firm ground. Both her wins have come in class 5 with a bit of cut in the ground. She is still 4lbs higher than her last win and factoring in that she is carrying 9lbs more physical weight than she ever has, she may just have too much to do tonight. De Sousa isn’t a significant booking as he is 0-9 for Elaine Burke.

Sarangoo won a 0-70 last time but she has only run in class 4 twice, when she was a juvenile, unplaced twice. She has run twice off marks in the 70s and was unplaced both times.

Perfect Venture is a 4 race maiden and this is her first race since December. She is by Bahamian Bounty whose progeny only have a 6% strike rate on their seasonal debut. Clive Cox is 0-22 with maidens making their seasonal debut in a handicap.

Coincidently run in the Nell Gwyn last time which must have been a day out for her owners. She had previously won her maiden in class 5 last season. Alan Bailey is 0-63 over the last 4 months, his last winner being in March. He has yet to saddle a winner on turf this season, 0-46 and his last turf winner was last September, 66 runners.

Three Crowns makes her debut for Jonny Portman. She won over 5f last season in a class 2 but didn’t do much after that. Portman does well with other peoples cast offs, 5-30. He is 5-16 in handicaps at Newbury since the start of 2012. However, he is just 3-56 with horses making their seasonal debut. Three Crowns is by Three Valleys whose progeny are 1-22 on their seasonal debut.

Conclusion: With Three Crowns, Amosite, Lisiere and Coincidently in the race there looks to be plenty of pace. Celestial Bay can track the leaders or even be held up. Given Kirk’s record in the race this looks to have been a target for Celestial Bay and she is the one open to the most improvement. Front Page News will also have this run to suit but she has no secrets and with Celestial Bay swerving a much easier assignment tomorrow, the hint should be taken.

Probable favourite and not much of a price but Mutafaakir will take all the beating in the 15:50 at Haydock.

Haydock 4.50 Blue Wave

This one never got competitive following problems at the start in the hot KGV at Ascot, where Johnston had a rare blank scoresheet. The yard has been in tremendous form lately and with Fanning back up and an extra two furlongs to tackle, I expect a big show. Sid James's site seems down so I couldn't get the 9/1 but the 7/1 is fair enough.

Not a particularly good ride from McDonald on Mutafaakir, but ah well, that's racing. Nasharra surprised me on this fast ground. Heck of a price the winner. Bad luck Ricko with your selection, very tight finish.

Last edited:
A case of "Al Khan Foiled"...

I'll get my coat :eek::eek:

Are you allu-ding to something? I've already got me coat.....
f_run.gif

Last edited:
Haydock 4.50 Blue Wave

This one never got competitive following problems at the start in the hot KGV at Ascot, where Johnston had a rare blank scoresheet. The yard has been in tremendous form lately and with Fanning back up and an extra two furlongs to tackle, I expect a big show. Sid James's site seems down so I couldn't get the 9/1 but the 7/1 is fair enough.

I often wonder if the stewards should call in jockeys that go too fast early. If I were being generous I'd say Fanning overdid the early pace. If I were saying what I really think, I'd be saying he rode it to get beat.

I often wonder if the stewards should call in jockeys that go too fast early.

I've been bleating on about this for years. It must come under riding for the best possible place, but always goes unpunished, although I accept it's pure interpretation.

I don't here many trainers comments either.

I'm intrigued by this horse (Joe Packet). In it's last eleven races it's been ridden by ten different jockeys and today they've changed again to Graham Lee. With the Portman stable being in a bit of form I was wondering if today was the day but his record in class 2, as above, doesn't look good. If Graham Lee rides him next time as well I would suspect they were trying and today was a "getting to know you exercise"

Subsequently ran at Royal Ascot over 6f and was bang there after 5f before being (ahem) eased.

I'm convinced tomorrow at Sandown is the day. He's racing over 5f in a Class 3 for the first time since winning over C&D three years ago and with the same jockey, Jim Crowley. Drawn 1 on a track where low draw is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back