What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside the box thinking:

1.55 Yorkshire Relish - Ryan sends a mob in and Mulrennan has an excellent record for him (so do the other riders for theirs) and the 50/1 is maybe too big considering the trainer's record but the 20/1 place-only is even better.

Just for the sake of an interest, you understand...

In the next at Ffos Las (16:30) Anton Dolin seems to have a decent chance if over his exertions 9-day ago.

SIX WIVES 7.20 GOODWOOD

Six Wives almost lasted home in a better race than this last time over course and distance and down in grade tonight, she should make all. Her record over 5f in class 5 reads 7-21 and she has won three of her last six under these conditions. She hasn’t won for a year but she is now 2lbs lower than that win. She was second in the fillies’ race over 6f here last year off 80 and her course record reads 1252 from just four races.

The Strig is probably better over Brighton’s 5.5f rather than a fast 5f. He is 1-15 over the bare minimum and it is two years since he won over the distance. He is 1-23 on a straight course.

Aye Aye Digby has run over 5fjust the twice and he unplaced both times. He did make all when winning over 6f here earlier in the season. The stable are without a winner since early June, 0-30.

Commandingpresence is another front runner that probably won’t get the lead here. She is 0-6 at Goodwood and 2-36 in class 5. She is 0-15 off marks above 65. Bridger’s record of 9-345 at Goodwood doesn’t fill one with confidence especially as he is 0-27 in 5f handicaps.

Picansort is 0-10 on turf and 0-6 when returning from a break of 60 days or more.

Amenable looks to have been caught by the handicapper, though he won off higher marks when he was younger. His three wins earlier in the season were over tracks with an uphill finish. He is on a losing run of 23 on courses that are flat in the final furlong. He should run his race.

Sir Geoffrey is the second Scott Dixon runner. He is 7lbs higher than his win at Yarmouth in a class 6. He did win off 68 last year but he isn’t anywhere as good as that now. He is 0-4 when returning to the track inside 7 days.

Ingelby Star was a little unlucky in a 0-60 last time and is well handicapped. He has his first run for John Stimpson who is 0-35 with horses on their debut for him after arriving from another yard.

Conclusion: There are a few here who like to lead but they may not get to Six Wives. She ran too fast for her own good last time but showed a lot of determination when she got headed. That was in a 0-90. Down to 0-75 today she should get home this time. Paolo Sirigu keeps the ride and he should get his second winner since arriving in the UK.

Pythagorean

F*cking dreadful bit of riding. Ridiculously over-confident.

Reappears today at Goodwood, chance to recoup?

Unfortunately for backers, it wasn't, for del boy, not so unfortunate!

3rd Time lucky today? Up 7lb from the initial hard luck story at Sandown (4lb from last time, 3 after Sandown) doesn't seem particularly harsh in my eyes as he is unlucky not to be coming into this race on the back of 2 victories for which 7lb would seem pretty reasonable. 9/1 seems a fair price.

It's an incredibly hot race today. Glen Moss, Shebebi, Pythagorean and Magic City are all potentially some way ahead of their marks. I very marginally favour Shebebi and will be surprised if one of these four doesn't win.

It's an incredibly hot race today. Glen Moss, Shebebi, Pythagorean and Magic City are all potentially some way ahead of their marks. I very marginally favour Shebebi and will be surprised if one of these four doesn't win.

I'm going for Galician with Loving Spirit and Heavens Guest the dangers.

TRADER JACK 5.15 GOODWOOD

Trader Jack has run some sound races in defeat and drops in class here. He was second to Vasily in a 0-105 last time. He was a tad unlucky as he got hit over the nose by a whip which halted his momentum. The third, Fennell Bay has franked the form and Vasily has run reasonably well off his new mark finishing second and fifth in a couple of class 2s. Trader Jack was previously fourth to Prince Of Johanne over 8f at Sandown. The third home was Wentworth who has gone on to win a valuable prize. Before that he was fifth in a 0-105 at Sandown from which six individual winners have come. He handles Goodwood with two seconds from three races and all conditions come alike to him.

Noble Gift makes his debut against his elders. He was fourth from 3lbs out of the handicap last time and was unlucky having to be switched more than once. He had previously won a 0-85 in a hood and a 0-75 at Nottingham. Bill Knight is 4-39 with 3yos making their debut against their elders but his record in the last 12 months reads, 410222221, so he is clearly adept at placing his charges. However, a negative is that in two races over 9f-10f Noble Gift has unplaced twice and he has unplaced twice in double figure fields. This is just his seventh run and he should run well.

Albaqaa won a 0-85 a few days ago off 82 and races off 88 in a better race today. He was winning off marks higher than this a couple of years ago but he isn’t as good as that now. He is 0-12 in the last 12 months off marks above 83.

Sir Mike won a 0-75 last time, his second in that grade this season. He has struggled off marks higher than 75, 0-10.

Rees Rascal has been holding his form well but is 0-6 in class 3, though he does have two nice placed efforts to his name. He was a short head behind Sir Mike last time when third over course and distance and is 6lbs better off today. He should run well.

Tuscania split Our Obsession and Nemushka last time and both those horses have subsequently won, Our Obsession won a listed race. However, Tuscania is 0-10 on good or softer ground and 0-7 in class 3.

Uppercut won over 8f here in May off 80 but is 0-9 off higher marks. Both his wins have come after a break of 30 days or more and he is 0-10 when returning sooner.

Heddwyn is very lightly raced and clearly needs time to get over his races. He won on his racecourse debut and was second on his debut last season. Marcus Tregoning is having a torrid season with just 4 winners from 54 runners.

Croquembouche is 0-6 on good or slower ground. He is 0-14 off marks above 74.

Mister Music is 0-7 over 9/10f and is yet to win a handicap, 0-9. He has a second in the Britannia in 2012 in his portfolio off 95. This is his easiest assignment in 2013.He is 0-9 on good to soft or slower.

Chellalla has one run in the UK last of 9 beaten 38ls. She won a couple of times in Italy on ground with cut but she is difficult to fancy in this.

Commissar is the second Ian Williams runner but his record of 0-4 on good or slower ground and 0-4 over distances beyond a mile makes him opposable.

Conclusion: There is only one recognised front runner in the race, Croquembouche. However, Sir Mike made all last time and a couple of others like to race prominently. Trader Jack is a horse that is usually held up. However, in races where there has been no pace, Trader Jack has raced prominently so he is tactically adept. Noble Gift will be very popular and is likely to go off favourite and he should be thereabouts but Trader Jack has been holding his own against much better horses and he has to go close here.

Mount Athos winking at me at 5/2 in the March Stakes. He has a penalty (not bothered as he's much better than these, especially on decent ground) but hasn't the best of records at Goodwood which might partly explain his price. On the other hand all his other runs here have been in double figure fields which might be the angle I need to justify a bet. He was only beaten 2L on his first run here as a 3yo as well. Will he be "off" though. Hummmmmm.

I missed the first at Goodwood but if the ground is softish Boots and Spurs 2.55 has a shout, certainly for a place. Pythagorean for me otherwise.

Mount Athos
badly ridden last twice , I backed him, though I think the ground has gone against him and having head or health problems, not for me, I cant back him with stolen money

I had a double Afsare and War Command, nothing original but both should be shorter than they are.

Mount Athos
badly ridden last twice , I backed him, though I think the ground has gone against him and having head or health problems, not for me, I cant back him with stolen money

Yeah, looking at Goodwood it isn't as good as the RP say which means it will be tough to give weight to Harris Tweed.

Cape Peron was in this 2.55 at the five day stage. Would have mullared this field.

Last edited:
Gutted, thought we had the forecast there a furlong out.

3.50 - York:
Genzy. 1 pt e/w. Available at 11/1.
Number Theory. 1 pt e/w,. Available at 20/1.

The appreciable rain fall, resulting in six no runners so far, has taken some of the gloss of one of the best handicaps of the seasons but it is still a competitive affair. The ability to stay the trip well is going to be paramount in the prevailing conditions and it's no surprise to see Ted Veal and Tiger Cliff heading the market. They have been aimed at this race and it will probably take a good horse to beat them. There doesn't appear to be many who are well ahead of their mark but one that could be favourably handicapped is Genzy. This is just his eighth start in this country, having come from France, and he has only run poorly on one occasion. He ran last Saturday over 13 furlongs at Newbury and he excelled himself in finishing fourth against higher rated opponents. The way he finished the race suggests the step up to today's trip for the first time could see him improve further and his only victory to date came in soft ground. The booking of a jockey with a very profitable 20% strike rate for the yard takes the eye. Number Theory couldn't be described as well handicapped by any stretch of the imagination but he enjoys getting his toe into the ground and he stays well. That alone could give him an edge over some of his shorter priced rivals and he has been running well in Listed/Group Company this season. He was third in this race last season on his only previous visit here and, although now ten pound higher in the handicap, he is a better horse now. He probably needs a career best to prevail but he could outrun his odds if a few of the more favoured horses run below their best.

Great run for the money on Genzy but Berry blew it big time on Ted Veale by trying to come from too far back off a slow pace in soft ground. Yes, I'm talking through my pocket as I had him in an each-way double (10s x 8s) with Dark Crusader.

Mount Athos

I had a double Afsare and War Command, nothing original but both should be shorter than they are.

I thought War Command ran a horrible race in the Phoenix-APOB wants us to believe he had the horse undercooked but I really couldn't have him today.

nice little double Suny :cool:

one bet tonight..in a race where pace of race may beat ratings..

7.15 Cameron Highland

looks to have a tough task at the weights against the fav but will get his own way up front as he did last year. Comes into this having the same prep as last year winning the Epsom race..won that this year easier than last year as well

3.75 taken

Bugger, was considering that one and your post might have swayed me.

I am using tapatalk and that post just isn't showing in the app. Anyone else had problems with missing posts? I am going to have to stop using it I think, it's not the first time posts have not shown.

Bugger, was considering that one and your post might have swayed me.

I am using tapatalk and that post just isn't showing in the app. Anyone else had problems with missing posts? I am going to have to stop using it I think, it's not the first time posts have not shown.

its a pity a lot more of my recent efforts haven't shown up:)

cheers Rob

my big nap runs tomorrow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back