What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone watching him at Huntingdon can see he's a hair-raising ride, and not one to pile into for that reason, but I'll go on record now as saying that he could actually be very very good - if he doesn't break his neck, he strikes me as a likely winner of the Wayward Lad at Kempton, and capable of taking a Tingle Creek or Victor Chandler Chase in time.

Just watched Australia Day and Kempton looks his track - I don't know if I'd be able to watch him at somewhere like Sandown though - he's no respecter of fences but his fearless attitude makes him a must watch - great stuff and I hope he continues to improve.

4:30 Woop Woop e/way I'm told - although the markets are telling a different story, so only a very small e/way for me.

At 4/1 I think Roddy's Book Em Danno has a fine chance in today's Listed novice hurdle at Kempton. He has a nice mixture of speed and stamina, has won over a similar track, and the form of his last race, in which five previous winners took part, has stood up well (2nd and 4th have won next time out).

His official rating of 124 is 4lbs below Rajnagan, the favourite, who ran up a sequence of wins in handicap hurdles, starting with a win at Uttoxeter at the end of May off only 77. I think that horse might now have reached the peak of its powers, however, while Danno, who was not a good jumper to start with, is probably still improving.

The main danger is probably Greylami, whose flat rating of 89 could give him a fighting chance here if normal rules of thumb for translating flat to jumps ratings are applied. His form on the flat has been in decline, however, which is usually a negative when horses switch to jumps.

Best of luck, Roddy
I think we worked so hard at getting him to relax we overdid it a bit. He is much better than what he showed here chaps I can guarantee that

Anyone watching him at Huntingdon can see he's a hair-raising ride, and not one to pile into for that reason, but I'll go on record now as saying that he could actually be very very good - if he doesn't break his neck, he strikes me as a likely winner of the Wayward Lad at Kempton, and capable of taking a Tingle Creek or Victor Chandler Chase in time.

Also if you look at Huntingdon the starter was a joke -effectively recalling a perfectly good start for the sake of a runner who more or less refused to race.
He had a big performance in him but possibly not on very soft ground.

Rigour Back Bob - 4.25 Thurles - 2/1. Good horse, should have enough class for Berties Dream and Powerstation, doubt he will go off at 2/1

Would agree, but he hasn't performed any too well on his last 2 seasonal debuts - both in 10k conditions races.
On the other hand, Pineau De Re has had the requisite pipe opener, and fitness might just give him the edge he needs at these weights.

I like Breaking The Bank in the 3.05 at Brighton. Reportedly came back lame after his run at Sandown, showed much improvement over 7f at newbury last time, beaten 3L by Miblish who is supposedly smart. With the Haggas horse a non runner 11-2 is a big price in what i see as a two horse race between Paul Coles & Breaking The Bank. I think Paul Cole is a shocking trainer and 5/4 about one of his around Brighton doesnt appeal in the slightest. I think Johnston's will need time.

7 Stars

Newbury
2:15 Tell Dad <<< thanks, paid for the rest.
2:45 French Navy
Doncaster
2:30 Gusto <<< paid for breakfast
3:35 Bartley
Chepstow
2:35 Now Then Charlie
4:14 Tullamore Dew - you'd have to
Aintree
2:25 Laterly

right, off to waste my money on these! :)

Last edited:
3.05 – Bishophill jack

3.40 – Fingal Bay & Hard to swallow

4.40 – Havingotascoobydoo

5.45 – Hazy Tom

4.15 – Lion on the prowl & Darna

4.50 – Woolcombe folly

3.50 – Magnifique Etoile

4.25 – Marleno

Also Alberta's Run on todays Good ground can take MM receiving 10lb

thats it for me ;)

Good pick that - actually backed the outsider Pure Faith as I love a Bowen runner at Aintree - although a very slow race he ran very well. Even more surprising he's entered in a Novices Chase tomorrow over same C/D there's still some 7.2 available(betfair) - at worst he could be a non-runner if not he'll surely go off fav - I just think some layers have not realised he ran today - fill your boots, I have - n/r = money back - runner = great trade.

I backed him today as well. I'd meant to cash in if he hit 2/1 in running but got greedy and cancelled the lay off mid race. Is that the end of Master Minded as a big race horse?

I backed him today as well. I'd meant to cash in if he hit 2/1 in running but got greedy and cancelled the lay off mid race. Is that the end of Master Minded as a big race horse?

don't know really..he made a baddish error late on which knocked stuffing out of him..its early season isn't it?..will be a shame if he has gone at game

Wouldn't write him off just yet.
Despite the pre-race hoo-ha about his readiness, he was reported to have "needed the run" afterwards, and giving weight away in a 28k race would hardly have been his season's prority. Bounced back from a similar run 2 seasons ago before being injured in the Champion.

Rock Of Deauville (2.15 Winc.) has the profile to carry these, and though regarded as a bit of a monkey, with everything in his favour and the addition of the sheepskins, ought to win this without knowing he's even been asked a question.

Rock Of Deauville (2.15 Winc.) has the profile to carry these, and though regarded as a bit of a monkey, with everything in his favour and the addition of the sheepskins, ought to win this without knowing he's even been asked a question.

From PN on Betfair.... Rock Of Deauville: This horse has had me tearing my hair out - he reminds me of Don't Turn Bach last season - and I have to admit at being very disappointed by his comeback effort at Cheltenham last week. But all I can say is that he works much better than a 114-rated horse (he has been dropped 2lb since Cheltenham) and would win this on his homework, and James Cowley is able to claim 10lb off him here too. But there have been enough excuses and he has to start doing it on the track. Hopefully, that start is here on this flatter track but there is a reason why his nickname in the yard is Morning Glory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back