What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock Of Deauville (2.15 Winc.) has the profile to carry these, and though regarded as a bit of a monkey, with everything in his favour and the addition of the sheepskins, ought to win this without knowing he's even been asked a question.

I think Fontano and Kahfre could both be on lenient marks as well and I'll be combining them in combo f/c's and tricasts with R.O.D.

I always take a second look at Alan Swinbank runners in National Hunt races, and whilst the market isn't speaking very highly of Dome Run in the Aintree bumper, I've had a some each-way 'just in case' money.

Last edited:
I always take a second look at Alan Swinbank runners in National Hunt races, and whilst the market isn't speaking very highly of Dome Run in the Aintree bumper, I've had a some each-way 'just in case' money.

I'm not sure the fav is any good thing Grass..dropping back to 2m1 on this sharpish track wouldn't tend to favour its breeding I would have thought

re your pick..one of Swinbans beat swinging sultan..so if Dome has got a chance you would expect it to be shorter than SS really

I think Saint Are can win the 2.35..bears affair beating robello easily doesn't look much ..champion court looks a dodgey jumper...and astracad looks to have a task giving 5lbs

Last edited:
Charlie Swan has said Sands Cove is the best horse he has trained. He is entitled to be taken seriously because he has one or two other very nice bumper horses, including Meister Eckhart, which won a winners bumper last week at Naas which is the preserve of champions (ahem!).

But he will have to be outstanding if he is to beat Valleymount, who will be in receipt of 10lbs, including the competent Mikey Doran's allowance, which is a lot for a 4yo to be conceding to an older horse who will like these conditions.

Charlie Swan has said Sands Cove is the best horse he has trained. He is entitled to be taken seriously because he has one or two other very nice bumper horses, including Meister Eckhart, which won a winners bumper last week at Naas which is the preserve of champions (ahem!).

But he will have to be outstanding if he is to beat Valleymount, who will be in receipt of 10lbs, including the competent Mikey Doran's allowance, which is a lot for a 4yo to be conceding to an older horse who will like these conditions.
Charlie Swan's a desperately bad trainer, isn't he? Why would you run the best horse you'd ever had in a tuppence-ha'penny bumper in unraceable conditions to rip the guts out of it?

You'd have to ask why he ran it on that awful ground giving weight away to older horses, and I'd be inclined to agree with your conclusion. But I don't agree with your description of the race. It was a winners bumper, of which there are not many in Ireland, and the horses that finished in front of him are very decent.

Last edited:
Chepstow 5:40 Franklin Roosevelt 16/1 e/way

Trainer says "He has come back looking stronger and should have ability to run well over hurdles. This is a dark one, who will hopefully fulfil the promise he has shown during his homework."

Wouldn't have to find much to be involved at the business end, worth the risk at the odds.

2:40 Salomo 11/1 e/way

Trainer says "This is a very promosing novice hurdler, who had some good form in France. He jumps hurdles like an old hand and should stay 2m4f, but he shows a lot of speed at home and will probably start at two miles on good to soft ground."

Last edited:

The race in Galway was won by Bridgets Pet. We were looking at buying the horse he beat the previous day in Downpatrick but they had a reserve of 30k on him in brightwells. doubt they will be selling him now!

Fancy Nicholls yoke in the bumper in Chepstow at 5.40. I just think he has plenty of ability as evidenced in his admittedly soft p2p races in the UK. At least we know he has a certain level of ability versus an unknown quantity. I think 6's is fair and I will play.

The race in Galway was won by Bridgets Pet. We were looking at buying the horse he beat the previous day in Downpatrick but they had a reserve of 30k on him in brightwells. doubt they will be selling him now!
Given you track record at the sales Cantoris - Brave Inca, RTB, Kimberlite King and co I'm sure you'd be able to get something better than Falcarragh for 20-25k.

Given you track record at the sales Cantoris - Brave Inca, RTB, Kimberlite King and co I'm sure you'd be able to get something better than Falcarragh for 20-25k.

you find it and I'll have a look. We normally buy unraced horses for that price. Problem is that they can be useless or brilliant and it will take a year, and possibly two, to really find out. The spectrum isvery wide but for that money you can hit the jackpot,or not. If you buy a HIT, your spectrum is narrowed. You are buying a horse with form which should win some races (i.e. not useless) but he will never be a Cheltenham horse. However, we are about 50:50 with our horses so far. Brave Inca,RTB and KK being the winners and Fourstars Allstar, Supreme Leader and Oscar being the broken down ones. Tropical View also has his problems. Members want winners, not necesarily a Cheltenham horse and as I have some members in already for the next horse,we are having a look around. The last one I looked at was Dylan Ross who was 5th in the Land Rover but Meade wanted 40k to stay in the yard. Falcarragh is priced about rightand would be a better buy than a point to pointer for twice the money. There is a minefield!!

Without cheating and looking up the relevant bookmaker market, how would you bet on the following:

Win - 25pts, 2nd 10pts, 3rd 5pts, Nr = 0 points
Tissue price of jockey mount (Tissue of race Fav)

Sylvester de Sousa:
14/1 (6/1)
7/2f
11/2 2f (2/1)
20/1 (9/4)
9/2f
13/8f
28/1 (7/2)
14/1 (Evs)
14/1 (4/1)
9/1 (10/3)
10/1 (4/1)