What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't back many jumpers but have been following the progress of the one eyed Fade to Grey this year back after an absence and always seems to run well at Worcester, looks a decent price for an EW bet.

Kirtling belle 2.40 at Carlisle
Ran well over 6 here last week coming with what looked like a strong run down the outside but just flattening out into 6th
Back to 5 and back in his own age group he can take this.

Geordie George win at Ripon came as abit of a suprise. He was settled at the back and for much of the way it looked like Philip Makin was content just to give the horse a bit of experience. The 3 leaders including the hot fav had put distance between themsleves and the rest but as the race developed without asking a question Geordie George looked like he could run into a place. Makin decided to have ago and the horse picked up and looked like he might finsh second at best until Makin gave him 2 hard back handers and the horse in a matter of strides swept past the fav....he did idle a bit but after another crack with the whip he went well clear winning by 5 lengths. The fav looked to be all over the winner and actually put a bit more distance between himself and the 3rd so he wasn't exactly stopping.

That race was on heavy going and today he races on G/F but he doesn't have the type of action that would indicate soft ground is a must.

He has to give 3lbs and 7lbs to Vimy Ridge and Aktabantay but if he acts on the ground he could upset the likely odds on fav Aktabantay.

A little 6/1 was available earlier so I'll be backing Georgie George EW

John Quinn has a few runners today apart from Geordie George and sends Fantasy Gladiator to Yarmouth. It's nothing unusal for him to go there he's ran there several times in the past for him and his previous trainer

He landed a good punt when he won this race last year and todays race doen't look that much better. That was after a long break as he has had today and that might be just what he's needed to get his head back in front.

He races of a higher mark this year but the handicapper lump him up to 79 after he won at Wolverhampton but he's since dropped him to todays mark which should be enough to see him go close.

Fantasy Gladiator 6/1 ew looks a fair bet

Last edited:
I know I have unsuccessfully tipped Cono Zur before but surely must get its annual win or 2 soon.Down to a very low mark,ground in its favour and at least the jockey has won before.
Also entered at Ponte Monday so would run without a penalty if it wins the apprentice race,the last at Carlisle

Last edited:
Sticking with Frontline Phantom today, just touched off for a 24 hr double last week, better apprentice jockey C Hardie outrode inexperienced P Sword in the finish in a slowly run race, todays distance should suit better.

I'm not one for jockey bashing but WTD is a liability in my opinion.I always have it in my mind that he is only riding on the flat to facilitate his brothers career.Anyone know his p&l figures for the year.

Price on scrutiny today at Doncaster is tempting me in the 1535. Although the favourite Knavesmire looks like it could be a very good horse it has my old nemesis Spencer on board who hasn't been riding well recently as we are all well aware! So I am going to take it on with a bit of guesswork. Scrutiny is out of Aqlaam, a stallion that out of the last 4 weeks has had 19 runners, 5 wins over 7-12f. Dam has had a few winners but over no further than 7f. Scrutiny beat G Force over 6f in it's maiden by 1 1/2 lengths, that horse went on to win a 5 furlong race of 87 and not get beaten far off 103. Scrutiny got smashed in it's first run this year, followed by another pasting over 7f. Off 85 today I think the horse is better than that rating and should have a few pounds in hand, I am just hoping for a turn in fortunes and with better ground means it will get the distance. Not a big bet but will do reverse forecast with the favourite also.

A horse I will follow anyway particularly when running over shorter if it doesn't get the distance today.

Les Gar Gan 3.00 Don. has lowered sights and is down in the weights. Could be the day. Have taken 12/1 and there appears to be some support this morning.

Lily Rules (7.10 Nc) showed enough to win this when 2nd in the Musidora, and though the favourite was unlucky lto, she has more than 3l to find on a direct line through Queen Of Ice.
Her subsequent Oaks run can be ignored, as she hung all over the place down the Epsom straight.

I'm also on Loud for Mark Johnston, dropped in class today, lower mark and just looks like a must win at a decent price.

Little each way on Spruzzo at Mussleborough. Won the race two years ago off the same mark, been off for 18 months, couple of prep runs so not sure what state he will be in but will have bene primed for this.

5.40 Yarmouth

Anjim..at 2.8 ..could go evens this one or less imo

half brother to the fugue racing off 65 in a 0-70...has two other entries after today and looks a sequence runner from Prescott

Already mentioned Angel Gabrial earlier in the week. Worried he might get trapped in from his draw but I have a decent price and I think he's well ahead of the handicapper.

Also on Starlight Serenade in the last at headquarters. She's been on my tracker since her staying on fourth in a handicap at Donny earlier in the year and her win at Goodwood last month suggests she is still improving.

Australia look a certainty but I expect Fascinating Rock to run a much better race than he did at Epsom where he ran 2 stone below what he's capable of.

The obvious forecast is Australia/Kingston Hill but I think AOB will want to be putting on a show for the breeders and win by as far as he can.

Very often when you have an outstanding horse in a race the obvious danger gets taken off his feet becomes exhausted and gets picked up by a late finisher.

That could easily be Fascinating Rock who is usualy held up and comes pretty late on the scene.

Fascinating Rock at 6/1 without Australia looks a sporting bet

Sir Mark Prescott must be on a few cold lists having only 2 winners from 30 runners but it's a safe bet that very few were anywhere near peak fitness

He sends Big Thunder out without a previous run for the Northumberland Plate and you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be spot on for it.

He won over 14f as a 3yo so a year on he should get the trip ok. The ground is perfect for him and the harder they go the better his chances

Big Thunder 16/1 EW

John Gosden's Seagull looks the outstanding bet of the day at Newmarket and at odds against looks like something t get stuck into..
Seagull (Nap) 5/4 currently.

John Gosden runs Gatewood earlier in the day.
He's being opposed by Sheikhzayedroad in the market but I reckon he was flattered big time by his 2nd in the Brigadier.
Battalion was a big disappointment last time when he faded tamely behind Mount Athos and me be best left alone for the time being.
The rest lok up against it in this company

Gatewood around 4/1 with Betfair

Last edited:
Already mentioned Angel Gabrial earlier in the week. Worried he might get trapped in from his draw but I have a decent price and I think he's well ahead of the handicapper.

Nicely done, Euro; though I'd doubt he's got much in hand of Suegioo and can't see the latter out of the places.
Almargo (3.15) should be suited by the return to 7f and the drop in class.

I'm not convinced about the Chester form, Euro.

Fast ground for this race is a pleasant change. Oriental Fox might make the race fairly straightforward given his style of running and if he gets a soft lead he’ll be very hard to pass, so he’s worth a punt. Repeater’s claimer puts me off. Hanagan for Mullins catches the eye. Tropical Beat carried the cash a couple of times last season in big races but Tudhope goes elsewhere presumably for better chances although de Sousa isn’t a negative since he won the Wokingham on the second string. With serious doubts about those with good old form being able to recapture it, I’m going for a main bet on Van Percy. He showed improved form stepped back up in trip on fast ground at Newmarket and might improve again for this further step up. Probert rode him that day so Murphy’s allowance can be taken at face value to put him top of my figures. Big Thunder looks a possible plot. If so, the money will come for him. If not, what is the plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back