What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaidyn in the first at york, surely cant be a 50-1 Rag, ran in G2 in France, only run in the UK a month back, restless in stalls and broke badly, been Gelded since and a hood today. Got to be a small e/w with 4 places up for grabs, could be anything in first handicap race.

Trappy handicap all the same and strange all prices on all horses pushed out on B365 ???

p.s
Chancery looks like its following exact same path before winning this last year (3lb higher this time)

Last edited:
I'm probably way off here, but in the 3:40 at York Stepper Point 33/1 (BetVic & Skybet) looks a big price to me.
He has been within a length of Sole Power twice already this Summer. Surely worth an E/W bet.....
How advantageous is a low draw over 5F at York?

Zaidyn in the first at york, surely cant be a 50-1 Rag, ran in G2 in France, only run in the UK a month back, restless in stalls and broke badly, been Gelded since and a hood today. Got to be a small e/w with 4 places up for grabs, could be anything in first handicap race.

Trappy handicap all the same and strange all prices on all horses pushed out on B365 ???

p.s
Chancery looks like its following exact same path before winning this last year (3lb higher this time)

Well obviously neither could leave the stalls correctly this time :(

I'm probably way off here, but in the 3:40 at York Stepper Point 33/1 (BetVic & Skybet) looks a big price to me.
He has been within a length of Sole Power twice already this Summer. Surely worth an E/W bet.....
How advantageous is a low draw over 5F at York?

Absolutely Gutted! Thought he had it.

Had a study of the Killarney Irish card

Bets are on

6.10-Fastnet Mist @ 1.67 [Paddy Power]
6.40-Celestial Prospect @ 7-2 [Skybet]
7.15-Chief Of Panama @ 9-1 [Bet Victor] Each/Way
7.45-Macnicholson @ 11-2 [Ladbrokes] Each/Way
8.15-Hard Fought @ 3-1 [Stan James] BOG

Got to love Sole Power.

Agreed! He keeps getting better and might be the best we have seen in a very long time.

Must say I thought Hughsie gave him a dreadful ride today even if the commentator said he was brilliant.

He had a ton of horse under him and was in an ideal position to take advantage of a huge gap 2 furlongs out. Had he let out an inch of reign that would have put him in the ideal position to take the race at anytime and he would have won by a couple of lengths.

Instead he sat the gap was filled and he ends up shooting left into a wall of horses switch back right nearly taking the head off Danny Tudhope's mount and luckily got through.

Had it been in France he'd possibly have been thrown out and I'd be a lot poorer having backed him.

He's lucky it was Sole Power and that he's such a brilliant horse because a very high percentage of the time a ride like that would have cost him the race.

Agreed! He keeps getting better and might be the best we have seen in a very long time.

Must say I thought Hughsie gave him a dreadful ride today even if the commentator said he was brilliant.

He had a ton of horse under him and was in an ideal position to take advantage of a huge gap 2 furlongs out. Had he let out an inch of reign that would have put him in the ideal position to take the race at anytime and he would have won by a couple of lengths.

Instead he sat the gap was filled and he ends up shooting left into a wall of horses switch back right nearly taking the head off Danny Tudhope's mount and luckily got through.

Had it been in France he'd possibly have been thrown out and I'd be a lot poorer having backed him.

He's lucky it was Sole Power and that he's such a brilliant horse because a very high percentage of the time a ride like that would have cost him the race.

That is utter crap . Had Hughes gone through that gap he would have been in front much too soon and as in the past Sole Power would have curled up .

Hughes made the point that he came off the bridle when being faced with all that daylight so he went to get some more cover . Yes always a risk with a horse like Sole Power but it was a brave ride and worked - just like Smullen on Short Squeeze yesterday.

Agree with Ardross.

I posted yesterday that I hadn't seen a ride as good as Smullen gave for a long time but Hughes had the chance earlier on but still waited.

Superb ride but I will add the caveat that Hughes can appear as though he's prepared to take the "unlucky" comment as a risk of receiving the accolades when it comes off.

Either way, the horse has some turn of foot and I don't think I've seen one like him.

Dayjur was easily the best sprinter I've ever seen but could he have made up that much ground in such a short distance ?

No way IMO and Dettori got it right pre race when he said the horse's light frame allowed for that.

A joy to watch.

Had a study of the Killarney Irish card

Bets are on

6.10-Fastnet Mist @ 1.67 [Paddy Power]
6.40-Celestial Prospect @ 7-2 [Skybet]
7.15-Chief Of Panama @ 9-1 [Bet Victor] Each/Way 3rd
7.45-Macnicholson @ 11-2 [Ladbrokes] Each/Way
8.15-Hard Fought @ 3-1 [Stan James] BOG

Not great

Agree with Ardross.

I posted yesterday that I hadn't seen a ride as good as Smullen gave for a long time but Hughes had the chance earlier on but still waited.

Superb ride but I will add the caveat that Hughes can appear as though he's prepared to take the "unlucky" comment as a risk of receiving the accolades when it comes off.

Either way, the horse has some turn of foot and I don't think I've seen one like him.

Dayjur was easily the best sprinter I've ever seen but could he have made up that much ground in such a short distance ?

No way IMO and Dettori got it right pre race when he said the horse's light frame allowed for that.

A joy to watch.

I remain of the view , no doubt unfashionable , that had John Reid not got stuck behind a wall of horses that Royal Academy would have caught Dayjur in the Sprint Cup .

It's possible, but Dayjur's rating probably fell by a couple of pounds for every 50 yards beyond 5f he had to run.

Sole Power has a blistering turn of foot but needs cover for as long as possible Brilliant ride by Hughesie. Others may not agree but ride of the year IMO.

Mutual Regard 3RD TO Pale Mimosa LTO 20/1 ew overpriced for the Ebor could be a shrewd bit of placement by one J P Murtagh

Intrinsic (3.55 Nm) is badly in with most of this field on OR's; not least Alben Star, who has a 10lb turnaround for being beaten little more than a length in the Stewards Cup.
I believe he's a piece better than he showed on that quirky track though, and 4/1 underrates his chance of showing it over this more conventional c/d.

That is utter crap . Had Hughes gone through that gap he would have been in front much too soon and as in the past Sole Power would have curled up .

Hughes made the point that he came off the bridle when being faced with all that daylight so he went to get some more cover . Yes always a risk with a horse like Sole Power but it was a brave ride and worked - just like Smullen on Short Squeeze yesterday.

Crap is it....who said anything about hitting the front.........did you even watch the race? he didn't need to GO THROUGH the gap just grab position. The horses that closed the gap he should have moved into were the back peddling leader and the French horse who was always chasing and nearer. Within 2 seconds Hughsie went Ooops! (read his lips) realised he was in trouble and dashed left as did the commentator who said "he'll need to find racing room soon".

Had he moved forward which he could have done with ease with the amount of horse he had under him I maintain he'd have won much easier and was lucky to find the gap he did.

The horse looked like he had a ton in hand of everything and Hushsie could have ridden him from anywhere ad still won imvho

With Adross sorted out.. I feel like I am on a roll:lol:

Got a serious horse for the Ebor and a big price.

Pallasator 5.5 is favourite for this but I'd question why on earth is he 10 points shorter than De Rigueur 15.5?

My worry with Pallasator is it can get a bit tight in the home straight in big fields at York and he's not the most mobile of horses, a bit of a brute and doesn't do things too quickly. I'd imagine they will want to come wide into the straight to give them plenty of space and time to get him organized and try and mow them all down. In theory it sounds easy but pegging them back at York is never easy.

De Rigueuer is a more straight forward racehorse goes on any ground and can quicken on a sixpence. He has done nothing but improve and beat Pallastor much easier than the neck at haydock suggests.

True Pallasator has won since beating Double Bluff but the main danger that day ran no sort of race.

He is certainly a horse who takes the eye but 4/1 for an Ebor could be more down to the fact the bookies aren't taking any chances with a Sir Mark Prescott horse in a big handicap.

De Rigueuer 15.5 (Nap)

Agree and disagree.

Agree: he keeps getting better.

Disagree: he's nowhere near the best we've seen for a very long time. The current crop of sprinters is probably the worst we've seen in all my time watching racing (over 40 years) and rating form (over 30 years). He's probably not even as good as Dream Ahead. What he is is very consistent (now) and he might beat the likes of Dream Ahead at 5f but only because the latter would need the sixth.

As for comparisons with Dayjur... :lol::lol::lol:

Yesterday SP, a 119 horse, got up late to beat horses rated 112-115, admittedly cosily in the end.

In his Nunthorpe, Dayjur beat a 119 opponent by four lengths, about 14lbs.

A time comparison would probably exaggerate Dayjur's superiority. Despite track records going during the week, it was almost certainly lightning fast the day Dayjur won. He was over 10 lengths faster on bare times.

Dayjur was easily the best sprinter I've ever seen but could he have made up that much ground in such a short distance?

Apologies if the :lol: emoticons offended, wilsonl. It was in my head that someone had tried to compare SP with Dayjur but re-reading your post I realise that isn't what you were saying.

I don't think Dayjur would ever have been asked to do what SP did, namely to quicken up late. Dayjur was a front-running blaster.

I read somewhere recently a foreign (US?) jockey saying sprint tactics there are pretty one dimensional. You go off fast and try to keep going. Here it's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back