What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.00 - Haydock - Shades Of Midnight. 2 pts win. Available at 7/1.
I supported Shades Of Midnight last time out over this C/D in soft ground and there are reasons to believe he can reverse the form with his conqueror that day, Island Heights. He finished well against a pace bias and the likely strong gallop in this race will be in his favour. He is still unexposed over this sort of trip and a five pound pull in the weights will also help his cause. The way he finished off his race suggests that stamina is his forte and the likely deeper ground here should play to those strengths. He is only six years old and this is just his eighth start over hurdles, so there is potential for further improvement. His small yard and their jockey turn up with just the one entry on the card.

2.25 Ascot:
Rock The Casbah. 1.5 pts win. Available at 8/1.
Value At Risk. 1.5 pts win. Available at 9/1.

This is a good handicap over hurdles and there are several open to further improvement. There are some who are tempting at bigger prices to place at least but preference is for splitting stakes between Rock The Casbah and Value At Risk. Rock The Casbah has a progressive profile and ran out a facile winner over 19 furlongs in soft ground at Haydock last time out but the form of that race has taken a few knocks and he is eight pounds higher in the weights here in better company. However he may be good enough with underfoot conditions again in his favour. He can race keenly so the likely generous pace should help him settle and he represents a top yard who are in very good form. He has the assistance of Richard Johnson who has a 19% strike rate over hurdles on this track (although it has returned a negative l.s.p). Value At Risk returns to hurdles after not getting beyond the second fence in two Chases this season. A Chasing campaign has been shelved until next season and he could enjoy the sight of these smaller obstacles. He was a very good Novice hurdler last season and a mark of 143 is certainly justified on the balance of that form. His ability to stay further will hold him in good stead if the trailblazers go off too hard and the only concern is his Trainers comments that some of his horses are not finishing their races as well as they can.

3.15 - Haydock - Algernon Pazham. 1 pt e/w. Available at 12/1.
Reve De Sivola is very well weighted as a Chaser given the form he has shown since he was last seen over the bigger obstacles and these fences are not as stiff as they once were. He will have conditions to suit and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him win this easily. However there are plenty of viable alternatives and this could go to one of the youngest horses in the field. Algernon Pazham doesn't have very compelling claims at first glance, he has fallen on his last two starts, but he brings potential to the table. To be fair to him, those two falls have come in the face of stiff jumping tests. The first came over the National fences in the Becher Chase at Aintree and the last came in the Betfair Chase at Warwick in heavy ground last Saturday, where he was still going well within himself. He went close on his reappearance over three miles at Bangor in soft ground and he is weighted closely with Virak on their running here last April. He gets on well with Sam Twiston-Davies, the pair having been placed five times and winning twice from eight races together. He had form in heavy ground here over hurdles and he is a good traveller when on song.

3.35 - Ascot - Salubrious. 2 pts win. Available at 11/2.

Cape Speed (1.45L) has just one to beat and will likely improve again for the drop in trip.
7/2 will do nicely.

good call Reet

good call Ricko with Casbah

that heavy ground stat re meldoic rendevous mentioned last time..by reet?....gets a try out in the next..might have gone at game..but loves this ground..scott had a 10/1 winner yesterday

Last edited:
Good shouts Reet and Ricko.

Not looking good for Tanlic though. UDS continues to be blue all round. Two shorties have come in and plenty will have him for the third leg so not surprised tbh.

I've backed Third Intention ew in this. His handicap mark makes him competitive and the 7lb claim is handy.

3:15H - Cloudy Too - Shaped well in the Tommy Whittle and down to a workable mark.

2:05H - It'safreebee - Looks value v the favourite and I'm trying to work out why Harry goes to Haydock instead of the Ascot for Value At Risk.

1:35T - Miss Mobot - Would be interesting if straight for this. Fair bumper horse and getting weight from her rivals including a short priced favourite from the same stable.

Excellent work.

Yes great shout Dan.

I can't desert my old favourite Cold March at Ascot. He should perhaps go on Grassy's cliff horse thread. Backed him ew at 8's.

Small play on What a Moment for the Pipe's in the 4:10 at Ascot. Shaped with promise the penultimate run and could have been a case of the course not suiting at Fakenham.

The yard going a little bit better now too. 7s I think is fair.

Thanks Ricko/ Maruco

Wonder if Tanlic has his green up yet?
Couldn't have done. Backed all the way in. On the face of it you could see why it was a play, but I suspect he was done for because of UDS being in trebles with VroumVroum Mag and The New One.

Couldn't have done. Backed all the way in. On the face of it you could see why it was a play, but I suspect he was done for because of UDS being in trebles with VroumVroum Mag and The New One.

Yeah good point.

Yes great shout Dan.

I can't desert my old favourite Cold March at Ascot. He should perhaps go on Grassy's cliff horse thread. Backed him ew at 8's.

Who was on board? Hope they're OK whoever it was because that looked nasty.

I'm not sure what happened because it was out of shot, but the suggestion was Regal Encore did something weird on the way into the fence and pushed Cold March in to the wing. Horse seemed ok, but didn't see Charlie Deutsch get up.

Thanks Ricko/ Maruco

Wonder if Tanlic has his green up yet?
First off well done yourself and you too Reet

UDS Trade.jpg

Wasn't what I expected so I put the money from the trade on to UDS which turned out ok considering it was abet to nothing

Last edited:
First off well done yourself and you too Reet

attachment.php

Wasn't what I expected so I put the money from the trade on to UDS which turned out ok considering it was abet to nothing

I presumed that's what you'd do Tanlic. Made sense as the money kept on coming. Nice outcome.

Took 6/1 on kayf supreme in the 3:35
hcp debut, could be in a very good mark and conditions should suit.

Is it me or does Chain Gang look overpriced in the next at Leopardstown? He's run in some decent races and proven he's got an engine. A Toi Phil is clearly useful but doesn't look a top table Mullins horse, and I'd have the top four close on what they've shown so far. They include Chain Gang who is a much substantially bigger price than the other three. 9/1 is worth a speculative punt. Woodland Opera strikes me as more of danger the the Mullins favourite so I've also done them in a reverse forecast.

Last edited:
I presumed that's what you'd do Tanlic. Made sense as the money kept on coming. Nice outcome.

tbh I am considering giving up betting for the most part after Cheltenham/Aintree and going into trading full time.

2 races to night I won 27.64p in the first race and just picked up another 12 quid in the first at Chelmsford with little risk.

Just a case of following the betting and getting in and out the minute you are in profit...can be 2 quid or 20 quid as long as its a profit and when you do lose it's only peanuts.

My last 18 trades I have won on 16 lost on 2.............I could make a great living doing this and give up my design and building.:lol:

Untitled.jpg

PS I came out before the off and that is the golden rule whether you are in the green or the red never let your stake runUntitled.jpg could play this all day lol

Last edited:
I tend to trade antepost rather than on the day racing Tanlic. I guess it's a mentality thing. I like long range stuff in markets with plenty of liquidity. Cheltenham is perfect for that of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back