What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. I saw a few iffy rides yesterday, but this certainly wasn't one of them. Poor, poor call.

He never tried to achieve the best possible finishing position. To my eyes he could quite easily have finished third. Not pocket talk but have in the past got stuck into one EW only to see it beaten through lack of effort in the last 50 yards into fourth beaten a short head. Fran Berry is a clinker at it in flat handicaps. You just cannot back a horse he rides ew - if the winning chance is gone chances are he won't bother for the place money. Didn't see all the racing yesterday but that one caught my eye. Probably far worse out there yesterday but he still did not adhere to the rules of racing IMHO.

Correct. I saw a few iffy rides yesterday, but this certainly wasn't one of them. Poor, poor call.

Show me where Jacob made the best possible effort to finish in the best possible placing over the last 2 - he simply didn't ride the horse at all, and held it hard - never mind trying to use the whip.

The horse cruised through the contest before emptying around the second last. Smacking a horse who has just blown up/ or has nothing left to give is counterproductive. In my eyes, Jacob was holding a weakening horse together well, and the very best he could have managed was third. It's all a matter of opinion, but I watched the horse closely through the race, and it was apparent that he was either in need of the run, or had a problem which saw him finish tamely. It's worth noting that he was trading at 1.2 with over 3f to run, and simply found nil.

The horse cruised through the contest before emptying around the second last. Smacking a horse who has just blown up/ or has nothing left to give is counterproductive. In my eyes, Jacob was holding a weakening horse together well, and the very best he could have managed was third. It's all a matter of opinion, but I watched the horse closely through the race, and it was apparent that he was either in need of the run, or had a problem which saw him finish tamely. It's worth noting that he was trading at 1.2 with over 3f to run, and simply found nil.

You do concede he could have finished 3rd though...

You do concede he could have finished 3rd though...
It's a possibility, of course, but not a foregone conclusion by any stretch of the imagination. But not riding out for a possibility of third on a weakening horse is clearly a different matter to stopping the horse from running on its merits.

Edit: having watched it again, I actually think he had no conceivable chance of third either. He got 3 smacks after the second last with no response, and was already held by Cloudy Too before the last. There was no way he was getting back at that rival, and both were passed easily by Devotion To Duty.

Last edited:
Daryll Jacob is a terrible jockey either way, cannot present a horse at a fence (ala The Nightingale/Peterborough Chase). He fells more horses than grass sickness ever did. I cannot understand how Nicholls is persevering with him, he wouldn't be fit to polish Sam Thomas' boots and we saw what happened Sam.

No one fancy anything today then?

I really like The Tatkin at Exeter 12:50 and I chose that in Colin's dark horse thread last season, however think that this one will be brought along slowly and I will watch him today

Last edited:
Arrayan, 1.20 Exeter, has more than a fair chance, down in class and distance, and returning to the ground he's shown all his best form on.

Dandy Nichol's has an odds on hot pot in the 1st at Southwell but anything but straightforward. He travelled reasonably well last time out but hung like gate and looked very one paced in the final 2 furlong and it didn't look through lack of fitness.

Ian Semple's Great Nicanor, in only his 2nd outing, was travelling every bit as well as the winner turning for home but ended up finishing 5th. He looked much more straight forward than the Nichol's horse plus it looked very much like he was still in need of the run.

If he has improved at all I think Great Nicanor will upset the odds and take this.

Decent shout there Tanlic, you seem to know your onions;)

Daryll Jacob is a terrible jockey either way, cannot present a horse at a fence (ala The Nightingale/Peterborough Chase). He fells more horses than grass sickness ever did. I cannot understand how Nicholls is persevering with him, he wouldn't be fit to polish Sam Thomas' boots and we saw what happened Sam.

I wouldn't go quite that far but I think Jacob is average at best. The man for the role is Noel Fehily who is right out of the top drawer. Nicholls missed a trick not snapping him up as his 2nd jockey, even allowing for the unfortunate timing of his injury.

Ruby aside, there are very few who I'd rather have on my side than Fehily.

Last edited:
At the start of the season Western Approaches was way up on my list of horses to lay,lay,lay because of her size and connections.I reactivated my betdaq account to lay her at Towcester last time and thought it was the bet of all time.
After that I eagerly awaited her next appearance because it's always going to be hard/impossible for her to win on winter ground.
Henderson has throw a spanner in the works by runnin her in the 12 furlong maiden at Kempton tonight booking Seb Sanders.Henderson has an excellent record on the flat in my opinion and I have had a medium each way bet at 6/1.
Don't know much about the opposition but Tregonnings ran on from well off the pace on his debut last week and I don't expect him to get competetive.

Fair shout. Her form with Court in Session shows she's far from slow, and this shouldn't take a huge deal of winning. Sanders is a positive booking, as I'd be worried if he went for a jockey that could be more easily persuaded to let her have a run round.

In a bad race she wasn't good enough.Tregonnings horse was indeed rubbish-was available to place lay at 1.55 earlier.

Went too fast anyway. That Moore horse ran really well on its debut and will be well worth following in whatever sphere it runs in next.

Uttoxeter
11:35 Echo Dancer
12.05 Tarn Hows
12.35 Triptico
14.55 Run to Fly

Ascot
12:45 Arbeo
13:20 Osmosia
13:55 Peckhamecho
14:30 Micheal Flips
15:05 Our Father

Accas, patents, trixies, heinzes etc ... riches to spare ...

Too easy.

12:05 Real Milan e/way - they think he's decent.

12:35 Dannanceys Hill - they don't think this will be beat today - but first time over hurdles and heavy winds stops me getting too heavily involved.

1:45 Decent Lord e/way - they think his h'cap mark is very workable.

2:20 Topaz Collonges - small e/way - shows it at home but not on the track yet?

2:55 Mysortofman e/way - fragile, has ability and needs to be caught fresh.

3:05 Our Father - A lot of positive talk surrounding this horse.

3:30 Further More - small e/way - it's possible this may not be the stables 2nd string?

3:40 Scholastica e/way - is apparently the star horse in the yard.

I lumped on Chablais at 3's for the Ascot novice chase......at about half-four this morning.

This horse is going to the very top.

Don't disagree but what about the jumping to the left?

He is an exciting horse with enormous potential but this would be my concern. He will need to be very good indeed to get away with that fault in a field as competitive as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back