What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haydock
1:45........The key here is what animal improves when stepped up in trip.

I'm keen on one dropping down in trip. Navajo War Dance goes on soft and the handicapper has very generously dropped him 4lbs after his flop at Royal Ascot last time out over 12f when the horse pulled too hard and gave himself no chance of getting home. A mark of 86 looks pretty good to me based on his stand-out piece of form in a decent Newbury race last September and, if he settles today, he looks excellent value at around 4/1 back at 10f.

Casterbridge (4.35 Haydock)
Finished 3rd at Thirsk running extremely well down the near side rail at a track where the far side have produced most of the winners this season, That race has also produced numerous winnèrs since, has won at Haydock before will relish the ground and the jockey takes off 5lb.

EAST STREET REVUE- HAYDOCK 5:10 Nailed on to win, not even my Tim Easterby jinx can stop this from winning. A different horse with the blinkers on. He's an odds shot, imho. :)

Last edited:
4.20 - Sandown - Oriental Fox. 1.5 pts win. Available at 7/1.

4.35 - Haydock - Evernescent. 0.75 pts e/w. Available at 16/1.

Last edited:
Limerick 3:20 Courageous Cry

A nice third last time, should run well from this mark. Good ground ideal...

Last edited:
Big Group 1 at Saint-Cloud today and apparently it's dry at present and good ground is forecast.

Vazirabad is the hot fav and I want to take him on at short odds. Tentatively I've gone for Erupt in the hope that the ground is decent. He ran no sort of race in the d'Ispahan but the ground was too soft and the trip too short that day, his form from last year on a sound surface gives him a shot and 14s is fair value.

Captain Bob in the 4.40 at Ascot.

Very much a cliff horse for me. I'm gagging to see him run over 7f again but Cowell is insistent over 5 and 6. He actually ran a really good race over 5 at Sandown the time before last before a poor run on the July course in mid June where the rain scuppered his chances. Today he has an uphill 6f on his ground and at 14s is a good each way proposition. He's on such an attractive mark relative to 12 months ago

Captain Bob in the 4.40 at Ascot.

Very much a cliff horse for me. I'm gagging to see him run over 7f again but Cowell is insistent over 5 and 6. He actually ran a really good race over 5 at Sandown the time before last before a poor run on the July course in mid June where the rain scuppered his chances. Today he has an uphill 6f on his ground and at 14s is a good each way proposition. He's on such an attractive mark relative to 12 months ago

I quite like the look of Misterioso in that race. His handicap mark has dropped a long way from the 99 he was once rated but he ran well at Newmarket last time - up 2lbs for it, though - and might just be on his way back. He's now with Jamie Osborne and runs off 84 today.

Similar comments apply to Gamesome (2.55 York). Now with Paul Midgley, his mark has fallen due to a poor run of form but his run last time out was a bit more encouraging and he's been competitive in some decent sprint handicaps off marks quite a bit higher than today's 93. Today's trip might be on the sharp side but he strikes me as a horse who will be winning something decent in the not-too-distant future.

Vona's only decent bit of form came at York in May and she returns to the same C&D today off a mark of 92 in the nursery. The May form hasn't really worked out but, on the time she recorded there, today's mark may be quite lenient.

Finally, Plutocracy returns to Ascot with Adam Kirby back in the plate. I've had my say on another thread about what happened on his last visit. Today is a new trip for him but it might suit, given his style of racing. It would be nice to see the horse actually put into the race this time.

Poyle Vinnie interests me in the 3.35 at Chester today. He travelled really well for a long way in the Wokingham and he's been dropped a couple of pounds since. He's drawn five today but that's effectively four because a horse on his inside has come out and Secret Hint, right on the inside, is likely to be taken back early so Poyle Vinnie should be able to get across to take up a decent position. He'll go on today's ground, no problem, and 7/1 looks very fair.

Poyle Vinnie interests me in the 3.35 at Chester today. He travelled really well for a long way in the Wokingham and he's been dropped a couple of pounds since. He's drawn five today but that's effectively four because a horse on his inside has come out and Secret Hint, right on the inside, is likely to be taken back early so Poyle Vinnie should be able to get across to take up a decent position. He'll go on today's ground, no problem, and 7/1 looks very fair.

I had a few quid on at 10/1 this morning...looks like ground will be ideal and apparently is in good form at home.

4.15 - York:
Revolutionist. 1 pt e/w. Available at 14/1. (Bet365, 1/4 odds first 5)
Fire Fighting. 0.5 pts e/w. Available at 25/1. (Bet365, 1/4 odds first 5)

4.35 - Newmarket:
Suedois. 0.5 pts e/w. Available at 25/1. (Bet365, 1/4 odds first 4)
Eastern Impact. 0.5 pts e/w. Available at 33/1. (Bet365, 1/4 odds first 4)

5.10 - Newmarket - Bossy Guest. 1 pt e/w. Available at 14/1.

Naggers (3.30 Ayr)
Went in the notebook last summer after running at Doncaster but wasn't seen again for one reason or another until York in May where he showed up well for a long way but may just have needed it, ran again at Doncaster last month where he finished a lot closer in a better race.Those 2 heats have produced plenty of winners and down in class here this looks a good oppo for him.

Naggers (3.30 Ayr)
Went in the notebook last summer after running at Doncaster but wasn't seen again for one reason or another until York in May where he showed up well for a long way but may just have needed it, ran again at Doncaster last month where he finished a lot closer in a better race.Those 2 heats have produced plenty of winners and down in class here this looks a good oppo for him.

Good shout Fonz

Yeah well done Fonz didn't see it at the time.

At Lingfield tomorrow a couple catch the eye. ANGIE'S GIRL (2:35) hasn't been able to get a win but has ran well enough in 8 starts to date to indicate she'll win one of these sooner or later. I think there is ever chance she'll be rated in the high 70's by the end of season. There's plenty of potential to exploit her rating now. She is entered in a race at Nottingham on Friday, I could see her win tomorrow then run at Notts with a penalty.

SPINNING ROSE gets the nod in the 5:15. This horse came second here at Lingfield 2 starts ago and Dean Ivory brings it back here for another crack at a shorter distance. He'll be trying to get more improvement out of it as the season goes on and there is no reason that it can't go close tomorrow.

Last edited:
The old boy Dubai Dynamo isn't the easiest to predict but his win at Hamilton shows he retains his ability, he's on a fair mark, is a multiple winner at Ripon and loves fast ground.

Also backing Sindarban too as mentioned on the flat to follow thread.

Last edited:
It ain't over until its over, Lee!I will inflict some pain on those bookies at some point, hope I have plenty on. :) :)

Last edited:
I actually finished the day slightly in profit Martin - for a change recently - but that Irish Oaks stuck in the throat.

Though it was proper soft ground by the time Cymraeg Bounty (2,30) won his race over this c/d latest, he showed enough speed to have them on the stretch fully 3f from home, and a repeat performance looks well on the cards = even on this quicker surface.

Non runner

Last edited:
A mention for a horse in the first race at Leicester in the amateur riders handicap tomorrow, the 5:40... CAESER THE GAESER..... won its first handicap start at Carlisle last year on good to firm going. Has since slipped down in the handicap after poor runs when being held up. Cheek pieces were applied last time and this brought about a better run. He faded in the final furlong over a mile after being on the pace which was a complete change to prior runs, so the trainer sensibly drops him to seven furlongs here, with a drop down to class 6 level too, running on a nice low mark of 52. He is a left field bet, (no idea what odds will be available yet), so I wouldn't put anyone off an each way. I expect him to finish nearer first than last.

Last edited:
Hail Clodius runs tomorrow evening at Sandown. I still maintain based on his sire he wants cut in the ground, I'm not sure what the excuse would have been last time at Epsom, (apart from the Gd-Fm going), so I can't back this on Gd-Fm, although he may well win.

HELFIRE looks a better bet in the 2:50 Lingfield, he's my banker for the day. I mentioned Caesar The Gaesar who is 20's early doors, a nice price if you consider how it ran last time, in a higher grade, over a furlong too far, as opposed to just the raw form figure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back