What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice shout Tanlic. That Clan Des Obeaux could be some animal at 3 miles. His jumping is something to behold for one so young.

Grim day for me, should have thrown in the towel when Cogry won. First time he gets round a course he wins, can't deny him, battled for that win from what must have been rock bottom confidence

I had an absolute shocker.

Backed seven horses in total. Three were beaten in bobbing finishes and the other four were off the bridle from flag fall.

The cash side was irrelevant as I was playing with winnings and I never thought I'd say this but I've over indulged on racing during the past week and it's out of character for me to have so many bets in one day so clearly I need the break.

I do like the Sussex Nash so may have one last look at that but then I think I'll have a quiet month until trials day with just a watching brief on races like the Tolworth.

Nice one with Whisper Tanlic. Obviously I was on Clan Des Obeaux.

My bets [1pt win on each]

12.40 Newbury-Valhalla @ 7-1 [Coral]
1.40 Uttoxeter-Run Ructions Run @ 7-1 [Stan James]
1.50 Newbury-Elegant Escape @ 8-1 [Bet Bright]
2.15 Uttoxeter-Tanarpino @ 7-1 [Bet Bright]
2.40 Lingfield-Natural Scenery @ 15-8 [Race Bets]
3.15 Lingfield-Born To Finish @ 8-1 [Bet Victor]:)
3.45 Lingfield-Roy's Legacy @ 11-2 [Bet 365]

Profit of 2pts

Oh dear lads! A shame Rockander couldn't stick his neck sufficiently out, I guess he just came up against a battle hardened more experienced horse in Cogry, and it was his first try at three miles today, a big step up on the distances he done before. Not much has changed my mind that the horse who beat Rocklander, Trans Express, must be bloody well handicapped on 111 at present. Because Lord Of The Island was franking the form nicely before falling today at Exeter, in the race Space Oddity went on to win, and Rocklander went close. They are all much higher rated than Trans Express, who I look forward to seeing out again in future.
Trans Express has history, (and collateral form) with other novice hurdlers on the upgrade, such as Benny's King (Venetia Williams), Ballycristal (Brian Ellison), and Limited Reserve (Paul Morgan). These are now in my tracker.

Last edited:
Despite his siblings Rocklander had stamina questions to answer mate and as soon as he got into a battle with Cogry it was pretty clear there'd only be one winner if it came to stamina. Weather did for him in the end.

Agreed mate, just edited my post to reflect that. Outbattled on his first attempt at three miles, but still of interest over slightly shorter distance in future, imho.

Last edited:
12.40 Southwell - Spowarticus - 20/1

This one is a drifter this morning but I've had to have a small each way bet. Little promise from recent efforts on the Tapeta and whatever Lingfield is these days. A moderate type but has shown form over 6 at Southwell in this grade off marks in the mid 60s. Now races off 57 with a 7lb claimer taking off more weight.

I think the yard will be coming to the boil shortly, a couple have started to run better recently and hopefully Spowarticus can kick things off today.

Good luck.

Excellent work PB. Best wishes to you too and hopefully more success this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12.40 Southwell - Spowarticus - 20/1

This one is a drifter this morning but I've had to have a small each way bet. Little promise from recent efforts on the Tapeta and whatever Lingfield is these days. A moderate type but has shown form over 6 at Southwell in this grade off marks in the mid 60s. Now races off 57 with a 7lb claimer taking off more weight.

I think the yard will be coming to the boil shortly, a couple have started to run better recently and hopefully Spowarticus can kick things off today.

Good luck.

Can see where you're coming from with this one Dan, those 2 recent runs after a break should have brought him on fitness wise and comes back here on a nice mark, good draw looks like might be worth a small EW bet in this race, good luck.

Can see where you're coming from with this one Dan, those 2 recent runs after a break should have brought him on fitness wise and comes back here on a nice mark, good draw looks like might be worth a small EW bet in this race, good luck.

Not to be Simpson Jersey. Ran a solid race I thought but just out of the frame. May well need a weaker class 6 and another drop in the handicap to get back in the winners enclosure.

Yesterday finished in decent profit when Cold March won at Musselburgh and Doctor Harperwent down by a head at Cheltenham. Whataknight was a non runner.

Today's Selections:

2.50 - Plumpton:
Mysteree. 2.5 pts win. Available at 9/2.
Onderun. 2 pts win. Available at 6/1.
The Sussex National and, with underfoot conditions as they are, this will be a dour test of stamina. There are plenty of established handicappers on show but it's the lightly raced Chasers that make most appeal. These include Cailleach Annie, Sartorial Elegance, Mysteree and Onderun and it's the last two named that make most appeal. They head the market but on recent efforts deserve to do so. Mysteree has won three of his six starts over fences and has already proved to be much better over fences than he was over hurdles. He returned from a long absence to win on his Chasing debut last season and produced a career best when winning on his reappearance last time out at Haydock. That victory came on heavy ground over today's sort of trip and was achieved by a quite comfortable three and half lengths. His 44 day absence since should be viewed as a positive and four of his five victories have come in soft/heavy ground. A nine pound rise in the weights demands more of him but he is relatively lightly raced for a nine year old and extreme tests of stamina look to be his forte. The retention of Richard Johnson, who rode him for the first time last time out, is a bonus. The yard are in form (three winners and two second placed from their last ten runners) and they have a very profitable 19% strike rate with their handicappers over fences in recent seasons. Onderun makes just his fifth start over fences and tenth start overall. He has had his problems according to his Trainer but he looked to have put them behind him when getting his head in front for the first time at Lingfield on his reappearance last month. That victory came in decisive fashion over an extended 23 furlongs and the further he went the better he looked. He had finished second in the same race last season from today's mark in heavy ground and he could be ready to make up for lost time. Two attempts at beyond three miles have seen him under-perform but he is bred for the job and he represents a yard who have some well handicapped inmates after a relatively disappointing campaign last season.

3.50 - Plumpton - Catchin Time. 0.75 pts e/w. Available at 20/1.
An open looking handicap over hurdles concludes Plumpton's card and it could be worth taking a chance on Catchin Time at a big price. In recent seasons he has taken two or three races to find his peak form and he makes his third start of this campaign today. All four of his wins have come between December and February, three of them came in heavy ground and one over this C/D. He is six pounds above his highest winning mark but that victory was gained in decisive fashion at Uttoxter this time last year. He gets on well with today's three pound claimer and his return to the saddle is a positive. A return to deeper ground after two outings on G/S this season will suit and, although yet to win in this grade, he has got competitive and this race is not very deep.

Last edited:
I've gone for Tothemoonandback in the Sussex Nash at 8/1. This fella races off what may be a lenient mark and Gary Moore has done well in this race before. Could be vulnerable to an improver though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not much has changed my mind that the horse who beat Rocklander, Trans Express, must be bloody well handicapped on 111 at present. Because Lord Of The Island was franking the form nicely before falling today at Exeter, in the race Space Oddity went on to win, and Rocklander went close.

Goodness gracious me, Trans Express entered up at Wincanton on Saturday in the 3:15, covered by ITV 4.

Last edited:
It is indeed just watch those bookies don't shut you down mate......... they hate punters like you

70% of betting is on Betfair, other 30% with restrictions

A lot of fixed odds bookmakers should be done under the trade description act..

My bets [1pt win on each @ BOG]

1.15 Bangor-Pithivier @ 15-8 [Bet Victor]
1.30 Musselburgh-Golden Investment @ 7-2 [Skybet]
1.45 Bangor-Buttercup @ 7-2 [Bet 365]
3.00 Musselburgh-Thankyou Very Much @ 11-4 [Boylesports]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back