What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harrington sends Silver Sheen over to run in the Pertemps qualifier at Warwick 3.35. Not as part of a group but alone. With the caveat that this is a Pertemps qualifier and therefore winning is not always the aim, it leads me to think that there is a plan. Robbie Power has several other rides and is jocked up. Despite being more cautious this season after a rollercoaster flat season I have taken early prices and am pleased to see a general shortening.

Last edited:
Harrington sends Silver Sheen over to run in the Pertemps qualifier at Warwick 3.35. Not as part of a group but alone. With the caveat that this is a Pertemps qualifier and therefore winning is not always the aim, it leads me to think that there is a plan. Robbie Power has several other rides and is jocked up. Despite being more cautious this season after a rollercoaster flat season I have taken early prices and am pleased to see a general shortening.
Worth noting that he would need to go up a few pounds to be sure of a place a Cheltenham so may well be running for better than 6th place. Also, the Irish bookies have declined to price him up for the Pertemps final so far.

Surely in this 2.25 at Wrwick Decor Irlandais shouldn't be anywhere near 6/1? He's 10 clear on ORs and 9 clear on RPRs.

:)

Didn't win but ran much better than his odds all the way through the race and beat the fav.

I can't really ask for much more than that.

I took 14/1 ew 4pl Echiquier last night in the Lanzarote.

I do feel compelled to reiterate that I'm unable to study form in detail for the time being (we'll see how things are at the end of April but I planned to skip the Flat season anyway) so there is an element of guesswork in the selection.

However, he's top-rated on RPRs and I am not convinced the front few in the market will be trying.

Burrows Edge, for example. I thought he could have won first time up last season but NdB mistimed his run, trying to win too narrowly. I backed it next time out and checked my files last night. I noted:

I was never really happy with the ride NDB was giving Burrows Edge. Maybe he thought he’d outclass the field and it didn’t matter how wide he travelled but it looked like they went too fast up front and Burrows edge was hauled along with the pace and not hurdling particularly fluently. Even Mahlervous’s rider realised he was in a poor position out wide and eased him back and then in behind nearer the inside. The one I was watching through the race was My Way to see if it was the key and I think maybe it was. Held back off the pace in midfield he appeared to make his move at the perfect time just straightening up for two out but Wicked Willy who was ridden from much further back ultimately came through to ease away. It was either a luckily-judged or brilliant tactical ride from 7lb claimer Nailor. I’ll watch how he rides in future.

I thought Burrows Edge was by far the best horse in that race, the consolation one for those that didn't make the cut at Cheltenham. He missed the cut by 1lb and I can see him running into a place here to get him up to 133/134 or maybe they'll take a chance on making it this year of this mark and accept the consolation if that's how it works out. The consolation is worth similar money to today's modest prize (considering what a big race the Lanzarote used to be).

Re Notre Pari, you never really know with JP horses. He's probably got something (or two or three) better lined up for the Coral Cup but he's up 8lbs from last time and will need to go up again to get a run at the festival, if that's on the agenda.

Harry Skelton appears to fancy his barra at Warwick so leaves Northofthewall for his other half to ride. That's not to say she can't win but I imagine Skelton will get some sort of joy at Warwick.

I think it could be a bit of an iffy race and am happy to row along with the one with, on RPRs, the best form at a nice price for an extra place.

Pure guesswork. :)

It will be interesting to see what the handicapper makes of this form. I don't think Burrows Edge was being ridden to win; rather, I think he was being ridden to place while weighing up the opposition.

Notre Pari was 'off' after all and might have won while the two fallers gave me my place return on Echiquier who started 6pts shorter than I took last night.

I won't complain about that.

That Classic Chase might turn out to be a serious National trial. They appeared to take no prisoners all the way and I was quite impressed by the winner. He had real strength after the last.

:thumbsup:

Nice shout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wewll done. On 130 it had no choice but to try.

I beginning to like Warwick. Went there for the first time on New Year's Eve to watch my mate's horse run, no real confidence with the trainer not even turning up, the little hero won the top prize on the day having looked certain to be beat on the home straight and just holding on! Today Silver Sheen looked beat but a great performance to get up. Took 33/1 for the Festival for a small amount last night and the same bookie goes 16/1 now.

I beginning to like Warwick. Went there for the first time on New Year's Eve to watch my mate's horse run, no real confidence with the trainer not even turning up, the little hero won the top prize on the day having looked certain to be beat on the home straight and just holding on! Today Silver Sheen looked beat but a great performance to get up. Took 33/1 for the Festival for a small amount last night and the same bookie goes 16/1 now.

Different game altogether at the festival. Will be weighted alongside those who have not played their hand all season.

Last edited:
Different game altogether at the festival. Will be weighted alongside those who have not played their hand all season.

Are you discounting substantial improvement. I think the jockey said later it was really just a novice. Alternatively, maybe the trainer was using this one to gauge something else at home considered better?

2.40 Lingfield-Sergeant Brody

Each Way @ 15-2 [William Hill]

Lot of weight but jockey decent value for his 5lb claim

4.00 Newbury-Your Darling

Each Way @ 8-1 [William Hill]

First run but I like it when Trainer books de Boinville

Market Rasen. 1:40 Minellafiveo - Slipped in the handicap and knows how to perform on a going day. 16's and already shortening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back