What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably won’t be in a fit state to select anything tomorrow so putting this up now

Cheltenham 2.00
Cepage only failed by a length or so to give 7lb to Riders on the Storm at Aintree. That one’s now rated 162 so Venetia’s fella looks a decent price at 8/1 off 155. A slightly disappointing run in the Caspian Caviar was marred by an uncharacteristic blunder halfway which destroyed his rhythm
Ballyhill also looks well handicapped and has run well in the last two editions of this but was in better form last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chelters 2:35.

I like the look of Mason Jar for Dr Richard Newland.

It may just upset the apple cart.

Last edited:
Well done PB, good way to start the new year. Happy New Year to everyone who posts on here.

1st selection this year is Fire Fighting in the 2.55 Lingfield, quite a topical pick watching the Awful news in Australia. Runs off its lowest mark since August 2014, over 5 years ago and hasn't won since July 2018 off 94 at Windsor, last win on AW was over todays C/D off same mark 94 in March of same year. Has had plenty of placed form since his last win from higher marks inc 2 runs here from 97, only btn 2 1/2lengths at Wolver 2 runs ago and is 6lbs better in today. Ran last lto here but possible excuses for that in a C2 race where also had the outside draw. Drops back into a C4 today and decent draw, has been placed in nearly 50% of its AW runs and form over todays C/D reads 25132 before its last run all in C2/3 races.
A lot of the opposition have been winning C5 races and others appear better over shorter, Purdeys Gifts Balding stable is 1-29 last 2 months and think Williams Matewan may be the biggest danger, have took 10/1 and 7/4 1st 3 with betfair.

Drifting like the proverbial, so have backed again at 15/1, will either be a very good start to the year, or a bad one!:confused:

Drifting like the proverbial, so have backed again at 15/1, will either be a very good start to the year, or a bad one!:confused:

5.45 Southwell-Pumblechook

Each Way @ 7-1 [Bet 365]

Well in if improves like I expect him to do

Plenty of pace in the 6.15 @ Southwell and Zylan is 3/3 over C/D, when he has met such circumstances.
Double figure price with most books.

Posted this is on my blog earlier this week.

"Gary Moore has given former hurdle winner Ar Mest a couple of entries this weekend at Sandown at Wincanton. The Wincaton race looks more suitable to my eye. It's a 0-130 class three where Ar Mest could be worth having a decent bet on off a very exploitable handicap chase mark.

14/1 best price with Coral for the Wincanton race."

Last edited:
Think it’s interesting Gavin Cromwell sends Jeremys Flame over for the Tolworth rather than the decent looking mares race earlier on the card.
Obviously some big named horses in this, but Jeremys Flame has some decent form finishing second to Floressa and beating Silver Forever who finished third in that race. Also has a decent looking second to the well liked Daylight Katie of Gordon Elliot earlier this season.

Not saying she’ll win, but with the 7 pound mares allowance, and the fact they’ve chose this race over the mares race earlier on the card suggests they fancy it.
Took 10/1 e/w last night to find out, may get better value elsewhere.

Good luck both

1.05 Wincanton-Putdecashonthedash

Each Way @ 9-1 [Bet 365]

Running well despite stable being out of form

Think it’s interesting Gavin Cromwell sends Jeremys Flame over for the Tolworth rather than the decent looking mares race earlier on the card.
Obviously some big named horses in this, but Jeremys Flame has some decent form finishing second to Floressa and beating Silver Forever who finished third in that race. Also has a decent looking second to the well liked Daylight Katie of Gordon Elliot earlier this season.

Not saying she’ll win, but with the 7 pound mares allowance, and the fact they’ve chose this race over the mares race earlier on the card suggests they fancy it.

Definately interesting. I will follow you in on this.

Posted this is on my blog earlier this week.

"Gary Moore has given former hurdle winner Ar Mest a couple of entries this weekend at Sandown at Wincanton. The Wincaton race looks more suitable to my eye. It's a 0-130 class three where Ar Mest could be worth having a decent bet on off a very exploitable handicap chase mark.

14/1 best price with Coral for the Wincanton race."

3/1 now..crikey..well I beat the price.

I hope it wins and proves how well-in he is.

Last edited:
A horse for next time is Ar Mest. Much more lightly raced over fences than the eventual first and second. Ar Mest probably the one to take out of the race though.

This one caught my eye too. Didn't get 10/1 mind!

Eduardo Allen 335s needs to win this well off 145 if its entry for the champion hurdle is serious.
I've had a speculative ew bet at 66s for that.

Winner impressive but it might have been closer. I thought the jockey was poor.

Not sure she’d have beat the winner, but sitting the horse off 7 lengths at the start doesn’t help. Would like to have seen the jockey follow the winner round. Wouldn’t have won anyway, really impressive winner there.

Gives the Floressa form another boost, one I’ve backed quite heavily at 16s for the Mares novice. Silver Froever also boosting that form earlier on the card. Not sure she’ll be the stables number one for this race given how fantastic Marie’s Rock looked earlier in the week. But one I’m quietly excited about going into the festival.

off another board.....

Sussex National 2.40pm....weststreet 2pts e/w 20/1 boyles 4 places

The ground may not be soft enough for Weststreet as he is a mudlover who just stays all day and at 20s I will take the chance on him. Weststreet has only raced at Plumpton once before when a staying on 3rd in a 3m2f handicap chase.

His results in the 12 chases he ran in is two wins, two 2nds and two 3rds.

Stable jockey who has ridden him 4 from the fives times he has won, is back on tomorrow. The stables only runner at the meeting.

He last ran on the 08/12/2019 when pulled up here is what the trainer said about his chances that day

"Weststreet ran okay on his reappearance at Carlisle last month, he has improved for that run not so much in fitness but he’s sharper. He had two years off with a tendon injury but returned last season better than ever. He is a thorough stayer, usually jumps well and loves soft to heavy ground. Decent chance with conditions in his favour."

Three weeks ago in the weekender stable tour Sherwood said

I have always thought alot about this horse but it has taken me four years to work out how far he wants. H ecame into his own when we stepped him to 4m at Kelso and then followed up in the marathon at Perth.
We then send him to Kelso for the borders national where I expected a big run however he was hampered by a faller which put him on the back foot and he could never get into it. He is an out and out stayer and a proper soft ground horse.

and this from the ATR stable tour

WESTSTREET – "Any staying chase over 3m4f will be the plan for this gelding , very much improving horse from last year and would like the ground the softer the better.

20/1 JUST TOO BIG.

Angel Palanas 1.30S was 2nd in this last year off 6lb higher & looks to have been prepped to go one better today. Has plum draw for his running style, too.
Currently 5/1 B365.

Last edited:
off another board.....

Sussex National 2.40pm....weststreet 2pts e/w 20/1 boyles 4 places

The ground may not be soft enough for Weststreet as he is a mudlover who just stays all day and at 20s I will take the chance on him. Weststreet has only raced at Plumpton once before when a staying on 3rd in a 3m2f handicap chase.

His results in the 12 chases he ran in is two wins, two 2nds and two 3rds.

Stable jockey who has ridden him 4 from the fives times he has won, is back on tomorrow. The stables only runner at the meeting.

He last ran on the 08/12/2019 when pulled up here is what the trainer said about his chances that day

"Weststreet ran okay on his reappearance at Carlisle last month, he has improved for that run not so much in fitness but he’s sharper. He had two years off with a tendon injury but returned last season better than ever. He is a thorough stayer, usually jumps well and loves soft to heavy ground. Decent chance with conditions in his favour."

Three weeks ago in the weekender stable tour Sherwood said

I have always thought alot about this horse but it has taken me four years to work out how far he wants. H ecame into his own when we stepped him to 4m at Kelso and then followed up in the marathon at Perth.
We then send him to Kelso for the borders national where I expected a big run however he was hampered by a faller which put him on the back foot and he could never get into it. He is an out and out stayer and a proper soft ground horse.

and this from the ATR stable tour

WESTSTREET – "Any staying chase over 3m4f will be the plan for this gelding , very much improving horse from last year and would like the ground the softer the better.

20/1 JUST TOO BIG.

a bad 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back