What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Henderson is giving one of his bigger guns an early start. Fusil Raffles being sent chasing 1:00 Uttoxeter and it’ll be interesting to see how he goes on his debut. At 5/6 early price he won’t be a value bet though.

If the forecast's correct, the ground should have softened appreciably by the time of the Joel Stakes, which would be against Benbatl and Kameko. Top Rank should be the one to benefit.
9/2 currently.

Ilaraab has the look of a classic 'group horse in a handicap' in the Cambridgeshire, in which 3yo have a very good record. Said to have big feet,too, so ground shouldn't be a problem.
Gone in deep, at the prevailing 12/1.

I see Henderson is giving one of his bigger guns an early start. Fusil Raffles being sent chasing 1:00 Uttoxeter and it’ll be interesting to see how he goes on his debut. At 5/6 early price he won’t be a value bet though.

Fusil Raffles was One of my big hopes last season but like so many 5 year olds he disappointed stepping up to open company.
I’d be against him at the price today and Quick Grabim makes some appeal for Fergal and Paddy Brennan. But I see he’s drifted out to 9/1 and is another who disappointed last season. One to leave alone I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ilaraab has the look of a classic 'group horse in a handicap' in the Cambridgeshire, in which 3yo have a very good record. Said to have big feet,too, so ground shouldn't be a problem.
Gone in deep, at the prevailing 12/1.

Ah, that latest research indicates that small, dainty feet allow them to skip over the surface whereas big feet sink in more :lol:

If the forecast's correct, the ground should have softened appreciably by the time of the Joel Stakes, which would be against Benbatl and Kameko. Top Rank should be the one to benefit.
9/2 currently.

One of my trackers and has strengthened a tad - now 4/1 - probably due to your recommendation. Race is a bit hot for him, though.

I'm noticing a few non-runners today.

Has there been a lot of rain?

I'm not seeing any in the forecast and the times yesterday suggest reasonable ground although it looked to me like Ghostwatch was kicking up a lot of divots.

Fusil Raffles was One of my big hopes last season but like so many 5 year olds he disappointed stepping up to open company.
I’d be against him at the price today and Quick Grabim makes some appeal for Fergal and Paddy Brennan. But I see he’s drifted out to 9/1 and is another who disappointed last season. One to leave alone I think

Couldn’t resist the 9/1 in the end. Now being backed in again

9/2 currently.
Times, thus far, show the going as quicker, rather than slower - BBC weather forecasts are unreliable enough to cause me to give the game up altogether.

It's the other way round I think - snowshoe effect.

Yes, but I read recently (but can’t remember where) that a track examination showed that horse with small hooves left barely an indentation in soft ground compared to the deeper impressions made by the “dinner plate” hooves. It was thought that this was because the small hooves enabled them to “skip” over the ground. Probably bollox.

Yes, but I read recently (but can’t remember where) that a track examination showed that horse with small hooves left barely an indentation in soft ground compared to the deeper impressions made by the “dinner plate” hooves. It was thought that this was because the small hooves enabled them to “skip” over the ground. Probably bollox.

Someone said on TV some time back that smaller feet sink further in as they're like cocktail sticks going into a sponge.

As Simmo says, the bigger feet are thought to have a 'snowshoe' effect.

Those are the theories. How much validity they hold is another matter. After all, you're just as likely to hear them say, "a class horse will act on any ground".

Aye, right.

Last edited:
Dunno the answer, but wouldn't the horse with smaller feet be lighter, anyway?

I guess so. As I recall the article was suggesting that the ability to handle soft had more to do with the horses conformation and action - high or low knee action etc - than the size of their hooves. Some trainers believe there is optimal ground conditions for each of their horses and seek to run them accordingly even though they might “get away with it” on other conditions. Alternatively, Venetia Williams only runs her horses on softish ground because she thinks the risk of tendon injury is much greater for anything better than good to soft.

I definitely look for horses with bigger feet in soft ground. As already mentioned the snowshoe effect. It’s not always a guarantee but when I am standing next to a point to point paddock in the middle of winter, I can cross plenty off with small feet and don’t often get it wrong.
Yes knee action too is a high indicator really because they tend to hit the ground harder as a result so don’t appreciate firmer ground. A “daisy cutter” action where it just skims the surface tends to be unable to get through soft ground.
If you watch horses, those that don’t like the ground often nod a fair bit in running as they hit patches they don’t like. And those that are uncomfortable on fast ground will stick their heads up in the air and not “let themselves down”
Trainers should absolutely be able to work out what ground their horses need. I can sit on a horse, gallop it and tell you quite quickly.

Goshen starts an unorthodox preparation for the Champion Hurdle in the 3:45 at Haydock tomorrow.

Middle Park is fascinating but can't see an angle.

In the Cheveley Park I'm not keen on Dandella and Miss Amulet/Sacred were a lot faster than Happy Romance over the same c&d on the same day at York in their resective races so I have it between those two. The price diff is a tad excessive so I've gone with the CP filly.

In the Cambs the ew terms are nice so one has to get involved and I've gone for King Carney who shaped really well behind the fav at Newbury last month. He was keen that day before keeping on and this extra furlong plus getting a decent pace to follow will suit.

Middle Park is fascinating but can't see an angle.

In the Cheveley Park I'm not keen on Dandella and Miss Amulet/Sacred were a lot faster than Happy Romance over the same c&d on the same day at York in their resective races so I have it between those two. The price diff is a tad excessive so I've gone with the CP filly.

In the Cambs the ew terms are nice so one has to get involved and I've gone for King Carney who shaped really well behind the fav at Newbury last month. He was keen that day before keeping on and this extra furlong plus getting a decent pace to follow will suit.
Reckon Sacred's unproven at 6f, and Mrs Haggas expressed her own doubts, after Doncaster. Miss Amulet's a good bet imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back