What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tracker horse running tomorrow and have decided to back it even though it is favourite in a big field.

I noted The Bosses Oscar as being very unlucky at the festival and was probably a plot that didn't go to plan. I've no idea if he's trying here but there seems to be some money for him so he might be.

11/2 is not really my kind of price to be backing half-blind (since I haven't studied the race) but if he was up to winning a festival handicap he's probably up to winning any handicap.

Smashed the SP but the jockey was stupidly over-confident to the point that during the second mile I thought I was on a non-trier.

The winner was deeply impressive, though.

Last edited:
With the Hendo horses bombing I've decided Frodon only has Native River to beat today. Dutching them works out at 4/6 which, if I were a professional, would appeal but I've decided to gamble on Frodon.

Frodon for me too with race fitness on his side. Not convinced about the Tizzard stable for either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunday

Kelso 3:20

Iwilldoit - This won nicely the last day on first start over fences. Also has some decent hurdles form over hurdles. I don't think the 7lb rise is anything to worry about and Iwilldoit is chucked in tomorrow when possibly extremely well treated in the handicap.

Last edited:
Hope that’s the last we see of Might Bite. That Gold Cup absolutely bottomed him. The horse that turned up in the RSA would have lapped this lot.

Shame.

Sad to see a once-great horse like Might Bite perform so poorly.

The strange thing for me is that he was given the same kind of ride as in the festival Cross-Cuntry, starting off well in rear and not being asked a question. It wasn't as if he was up there with pace and blundering his way to the back.

He jumped the fences like they were double-decker buses.

Puissance next?

As I said earlier, I'm a fan of NdB but backers of Mister Coffey should rightly be fizzing with him for that ride, to add to the other 'disappointing' ones on other hotpots today.

Mister Coffey was one of two against the field I'd identified yesterday but by the time I checked the betting last night it was something like 2/1, which put me right off. The way Nico rode it today was either inept or designed not to win because people close to the horse wanted a price and didn't get it. I don't usually set too much score by that kind of thinking in ordinary races but when there's nearly £23k on offer it's less likely a bet will be a factor.

Still, there's the £100k (as was) Ascot handicap later in the month and I wouldn't be surprised if Mister Coffey is ridden much less negatively there.

I need to watch the race again. I thought beforehand that Solo was possibly being plotted for the Betfair Hurdle in February given that Nicholls has already says he rates the horse more highly than Pic D'Orhy and Solo travelled really sweetly for a long way today. If they can get him to Newbury off a similar mark as PDO he could well win it again.

Hope that’s the last we see of Might Bite. That Gold Cup absolutely bottomed him. The horse that turned up in the RSA would have lapped this lot.

Shame.

Cant see where they can go with him now. I can see why they took this route but he clearly didn’t enjoy it. He was always a quirky horse (his sire probably a contributory factor) but you’re absolutely right that he never got over the Gold Cup run. Some horses have good memories and won’t want to go through the pain barrier again. That’s one of the reasons I agree with Hendo taking Altior out today. My own horse who is an ex Flat horse, I turned into a really good hunter. Considering the very steep hills we have here and he was a sprinter, he adapted brilliantly and he really loved it. However three years ago, he suffered a horrendous accident on the road after hunting one day. He broke two ribs and huge lacerations to his stifle and abdomen. He later got gangrene. However due to exceptional care he is still here. And is rideable. I did take him hunting again the following season but he clearly remembers the accident and now gets very stressed. So I have reluctantly retired him. But it shows horses do remember and if they have gone through a hard race that knocks them back, there is a good chance that mentally as well as physically, it will have an effect.

It’s a very good job I covered Mister Coffey with Benson, Christ almighty. Maybe Mister Coffey just isn’t all that good?

I think the winner is smart, as I posted earlier. Still scope for improvement, and Sheehan was confident a long way out.

As I said earlier, I'm a fan of NdB but backers of Mister Coffey should rightly be fizzing with him for that ride, to add to the other 'disappointing' ones on other hotpots today.

Mister Coffey was one of two against the field I'd identified yesterday but by the time I checked the betting last night it was something like 2/1, which put me right off. The way Nico rode it today was either inept or designed not to win because people close to the horse wanted a price and didn't get it. I don't usually set too much score by that kind of thinking in ordinary races but when there's nearly £23k on offer it's less likely a bet will be a factor.

Still, there's the £100k (as was) Ascot handicap later in the month and I wouldn't be surprised if Mister Coffey is ridden much less negatively there.

I need to watch the race again. I thought beforehand that Solo was possibly being plotted for the Betfair Hurdle in February given that Nicholls has already says he rates the horse more highly than Pic D'Orhy and Solo travelled really sweetly for a long way today. If they can get him to Newbury off a similar mark as PDO he could well win it again.

Ground. Nico dropped him out as that’s the way to ride him. The ground was very tacky and he was unable to make up the ground. He looked after him. He’s an extremely nice horse. I would be applauding him for looking after him.

Last edited:
Ground. Nico dropped him out as that’s the way to ride him. The ground was very tacky and he was unable to make up the ground. He looked after him. He’s an extremely nice horse. I would be applauding him for looking after him.

Yes, he went berserk with Nico at Huntingdon and took off with him at such a pace that couldn’t possibly be sustained. Nico has to make sure he doesn’t do that again, hence the dropping out route. There’s been a lot of criticism of Nico but he usually does just what Henderson wants, if he didn’t he wouldn’t last five minutes.

Last edited:
Cork 2:30 tomorrow Sayce Gold 5/2 Hills.
Up in class, but the way it won LTO looked like could definitely handle this step up.
Shortening across the boards and already as short as 7/4 with some books.
The 5/2 with Hills should be taken now!

I did take him hunting again the following season but he clearly remembers the accident and now gets very stressed. So I have reluctantly retired him. But it shows horses do remember and if they have gone through a hard race that knocks them back, there is a good chance that mentally as well as physically, it will have an effect.

When it comes to animal intelligence I believe horses are not far behind dogs and dolphins and fully understand that they can 'remember' bad experiences and not want to go through them again. For me, that makes such a horse much more intelligent than the type that would walk through a fence race after race and want more although I'd prefer to back the latter!

Some horses are very much more intelligent than others. I used to love breaking in horses and getting one that picked things up in minutes and then gave you a look “OK got that bit, what’s next?”

I have an alternative take on the race which I'm keeping to myself for now but what I will say is that Benson was never any more than a length or two in front of MC all the way yet he picked up okay.

I have an alternative take on the race which I'm keeping to myself for now but what I will say is that Benson was never any more than a length or two in front of MC all the way yet he picked up okay.

Indeed. And Sheehan was travelling comfortably. He was looking left and right for Nico when still having 6 horses in front of him.

I actually think Benson still has something in hand as well. He can win a decent handicap I reckon. Mister Coffee, watching the race back, will have another day.

I felt that Mister Coffey was ridden with the Coral Cup in mind.

I’ll do a full rating of the race tomorrow Maurice. I suspect there were three different races going on though.

The way the race unfolded it was odds on to look an awful ride. He came from a simar position to the Nicholls horse and made up massive ground whereas that was tailed off. There will be another day for him.

Last edited:
Took 7/2 Allaho.

Ruby doesn't seem convinced that Min stays a true-run race at this trip and I rate Allaho very highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back