What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan Brown has a couple of his horses running well namely Harris and Jebel Tara

EW singles and an EW double should show a nice profit

Place laying Annie Power that was a really horrid fall last time and she may still be feeling it.

Well done luke i nearly backed the eventual winner against telescope this morning but bottled out. I have had a decent bet on chartreux in the 5:00 in the hope he might recapture his best form. He won here last season but hasnt showed his spark since. Ive taken the chance that he will bounce back today, but am not overly optimistic.

Last edited:
Gothic's Ponte outing had all the hallmarks of a fitness run, and I'll be surprised if he can't take this.

I've had a reasonably decent bet on Jazzi Top in the 450 at Newmarket-from a top class family I think she will improve for the step up in distance and should finish strongly.I'm not worried by the drift in the betting and 3/1 is an excellent price.

I've had a reasonably decent bet on Jazzi Top in the 450 at Newmarket-from a top class family I think she will improve for the step up in distance and should finish strongly.I'm not worried by the drift in the betting and 3/1 is an excellent price.

Top picking

Nice one😎

3.10 Kempton Dursey Sound may have slipped down the handicap enough to take this back on better ground but lack of any sort of form recently a concern. Having a go at 12/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJH has found the ideal race for old Hunt Ball. It is certainly not a confidence booster as suggested in the SL summary.

Shwaiman will no doubt want to be up there with him from the start but Hunt Ball should have way too many guns for him.

PP is offering 11/8.....Xmas has come early

NJH has found the ideal race for old Hunt Ball. It is certainly not a confidence booster as suggested in the SL summary.

Shwaiman will no doubt want to be up there with him from the start but Hunt Ball should have way too many guns for him.

PP is offering 11/8.....Xmas has come early

Good call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orient Class won at Catterick FTO last season and returns for the same again tonight (8.30)
Lightly raced and Graham Lee on board as he has been for all his wins. 3/1 available.

Chester Cup day at my local track and typical Cup day weather.

Supporting a few today at Chester and other tracks.

3.10 - Chester:
Trip To Paris. 1 pt e/w. Available at 11/1.
Buthelezi. 1 pt win. Available at 12/1.
Destruct. 0.5 pts win. Available at 28/1.

The seventeen runner Chester Cup is, as always, a very competitive affair. Despite being over an extended 18 furlongs the nature of Chester racecourse means that the draw is important. Those drawn high can find themselves stuck out wide for long periods of time as they make their effort to get tucked in closer to the rail. Dr. Marwan Koukash has made no secret of his love affair with Chester and, in particular, the Chester Cup. He turns up this year with five runners in an attempt to win the race for the third year running and for the fourth time in eight years. Suegioo is nine pounds higher than when winning this race last season and has drawn stall 16 so he faces a much stiffer task. Angel Gabriel, who was half a length away in second, is in stall 5 but he races from a fifteen pounds higher in the handicap off topweight. The Doctor's best chance looks to lie with Gabriel's King, who was ninth in this race from three pounds lower last year. He is well drawn in stall 3 but his style of racing means he may find a wall of horses in front of him from an early stage unless he is ridden more prominently than usual. The ease in ground conditions won't bother him but, although he won over an extended two miles at York, his five efforts over further have seen him beaten nearly twelve lengths or more on four occasions. Irish raiders Quick Jack (stall 9), under Richard Hughes, and Zafayan (stall 7) are respected but there is little mileage in the price of the former and the latter, who was Sired by a sprinter, has to be a doubtful stayer over this far, despite being trained by a master of such horses. Mubaraza (stall 12) and Edge Of Sanity (stall14) are capable of getting involved but they will need luck in running from their respective draws. Preference is for Trip To Paris, Buthelezi and Destruct. This may be a field of 17 runners where a good early position is important but there aren't many horses present who are in the habit of leading/racing prominently. That doesn't apply to Buthelezi (stall 4) who is an ideal position to get to the head of affairs early on. Since acquiring him 12 months ago, Brian Ellison has been slowly bringing him back to form on the flat and Buthelezi duly produced his best performance for him so far when winning over 14 furlongs in soft ground at Musselburgh last time out. Leading all the way he showed the usual tenacious, battling qualities that will serve him well round here. He is still competitively weighted off a six pound higher mark and Ben Curtis, who has rode him to his last two victories, retains the ride. If he is allowed an easy time of it up front he could be a difficult horse to peg back, especially if there is the usual scrimmaging among those trying to come from off the pace. Trip To Paris (stall 11) will be one of those looking to make late gains. He has a difficult draw but he is usually held up and, with early pace thin on the ground, Graham Lee may be able to get a good early pitch. Trip To Paris has won his last two starts but it was his first attempt at two miles at Ripon last time out which saw him produce a career best. Many will have noted Gabriel King in the race, He was nearly four lengths back in second on his seasonal reappearance and had to wait and wait to get a run. He is better off at the weights today, may strip fitter and has a better draw. However, once he was in the clear at Ripon he didn't make any gains on Trip To Paris, almost the opposite in fact, and this longer trip may bring out even more improvement from the selection from just a three pound higher mark. He has yet to prove he handles ground softer than good but, as a young progressive horse, it's worth giving him the benefit of the doubt. Destruct is much more speculative. He hasn't been seen since August 2013 when he was in the charge of Andre Fabre. He joined his present yard 12 months ago and it's obviously not been plain sailing since because this is his first start for them. A winner of a Listed race when last seen, this may be way beyond him after such a long break, but his Trainer knows what it takes to win this race and Destruct is on a fair mark if he still retains his old ability and is ready to roll. The yard have a very profitable 15% strike rate with their older horses here in recent seasons and they are adept at placing this type.

3.20 - Kelso - Farmer Matt. 2 pts win. Available at 6/1.
Resolute Performer, Revocation and Viking Rebel look among the likelier winners but it may be worth chancing Farmer Matt on his return from a 13 month absence. He was well beaten when last seen at Ascot but he faced a difficult task at the weights in that Novice race and his jumping failed him on ground quicker than ideal. He had earlier won his only handicap over fences from today's mark and he has the potential to improve on just his fourth start as a Chaser. Softer ground than he encounters here would've been ideal but he has handled good ground in the past and so he may get away with it. The yard haven't been to this course in the past five seasons but in that time they have had 8 winners from just 33 entries when sending horses North of the border. Although this is a longer absence than he has had before, Farmer Matt has shown he goes well fresh and his three pound claimer makes the journey for just the one remaining booked ride. Farmer Matt is now nine years old and has only 13 starts under rules to his name, so he hasn't stood much racing, and catching him early in a sequence may be the best time

3.45 - Chester - Confessional. 1 pt e/w. Available at 12/1.
With at least four front runners, and others who like to race prominently, present there isn't going to be any hanging about in this sprint over the minimum trip. One or more of that group may not come back to the field but there is also a chance they will take each other on and set this up for something coming from off the pace. Lexi's Hero (stall 4) could be one to take advantage if the pace collapses and the same applies to Piazon (stall 7). However it may be worth siding with Confessional. His draw in stall 8 is far from ideal but he is an old hand and has overcome difficult draws in the past. He is an infrequent winner nowadays but he has run some cracking races from around today's mark since he last won in September 2013 and deserves to visit the winners enclosure again. He handles any ground and four of his five career victories have come over five furlongs, even though he is equally effective at six. He showed up well on his reappearance at Ripon last month and normally benefits from his initial run of a campaign.

4.45 - Brighton - Live Dangerously. 1 pt e/w. Available at 12/1.
Most of these don't find winning easy these days and the market is predictably headed by Venus Marina, the least exposed of this field. She hasn't been seen since September but the yard are in form and quite capable of readying one off the back of a long break. However at a bigger price Live Dangerously makes some appeal. He finished last in both starts for his current Trainer but they came on the polytrack at Kempton, after which he was put away in December. On his final start for his former Trainer he was beaten just under four lengths into 6th of 18 runners at Redcar over six furlongs from a seven pound higher mark than he runs from today. He is usually seen over shorter and has been labelled a 'doubtful stayer' over this trip in the past but he is bred to get the distance and has several pieces of form which suggests he does. He kicked off the last campaign with two placed efforts over a mile at Musselburgh and Carlisle and the latter track is stiffer than many. Those efforts came from 10/12 pound higher marks than he runs from today so he wouldn't even have to retain that level of ability to get competitive here and they prove he can go well fresh. He has only won once in 29 starts, so he is an infrequent winner, but he has joined a yard whose older horses normally run well here.

8.30 - Uttoxeter - Colin's Sister. 1 pt e/w. Available at 14/1.
Outside of the Festivals, and only rarely then, do we have an interest in a Bumper. Considering Colin's Sister is an unraced four year old Filly she can only be a speculative wager but there are reasons to believe she may outrun her market price. She is related to a few who have placed in Bumpers and she represents a yard who have a very profitable 13% strike rate in this kind of race. Two of their fifteen winners have come at this track from just eight entries but possibly the biggest argument for taking a chance on Colin's Sister is the presence of Paddy Brennan in the saddle. Both Trainer and jockey don't have to come far for their only runner at this track but the fact that the jockey takes the bother of kitting up for the last race of the day here and doesn't ride anywhere else could be a significant pointer. It may mean nothing of course but we're prepared to risk a small wager to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back