What Are You Listening To Now?

Toddling off to write an essay with a loud combination of Tom Vek, Muse, The Beatles and The Bravery now...if that doesn't help, nothing will.

Celebrity Skin by Hole right now.

Have seen Banquet by Bloc Party on MTV a lot today, I do really like their tracks but have been reliably informed by more than one source that when it comes to performing them live, the band absolutely suck. Any opinions on that here?

Oh and PDJ, I Predict A Riot is very good indeed, talk about a grower. B)

Yup, it's good, but I'm not sure that it's single of the year.

Bugger - I was going to suggest Confusion by the Zutons but that was December!!! Or Kings of Leon with Bucket but that's last year too......

Single of the year so far....hmm I'm torn between Little Sister by Queens of the Stone Age and both tracks released by Athlete (they've certainly improved). I'm sure I'm forgetting a few lol but I can't wait to see what the Foo Fighters come back with later this year.

I'm going to have a listen this week to our very own Brighton-based 5-boy band, British Sea Power, who've released 'Open Season' under the Rough Trade label. According to this week's review in The Big Issue they're eccentric, "with stage sets featuring stuffed animals, song titles like 'The Smallest Church in Sussex' and quirky, Pulp-style Indie pop. The follow-up to their 2003 debut, 'The Decline of British Sea Power' is more straightforward than its predecessor, but no less engaging.... in the past, BSP were charming to the point of pretension, but not any more. 'Open Season' brims with completely unaffected, individual Indie spirit."

Well, there's nothing quite like a bit of unaffected, individual spirit, Indie or not, so I'm going to give 'em a shot. The worst that can happen is I use the CD as a drinks mat.

Erm, to be topical, has anyone heard stuff by the band Grand National? By all accounts good but I've never heard them myself. Any fans here?

:lol: Yuk!

We should play that game a bit more: how about Blur's 'Perfect Vision'; The Rolling Stones' 'Come to a Stop'; the Beatles' 'Got Crushed Last Night'; the Manic Street Preachers - 'Lost Faith'; Garbage - 'All Over the Street'...

I have seen British Sea Power live (supporting the Flaming Lips), Jon and I thought they were very good. They are playing again in Birmingham this week and I may go again. Their new album has also received excellent reviews

here's a review of their first album

British Sea Power

Cheers for that, P. Between must-do shopping and Aintree tomorrow, I'll pop into HMV for a listen. I haven't bought a new CD since Moby's last, so I'm well out of touch with what's going on. As they're Brightonians, I thought I ought to try and support them, especially if they're okay.

Hey - fantastic link! Just listened to their first track and saw the vid, Paul. Really nice sound, and the vid features our skeletal wreck of the West Pier with the Massed Flights of the Sunset Starlings in attendance! Yes, I'll go for this one. That NME site's great, ta verree mooch, loov! ;)

5/5 from sunday times newspaper...is that such a good thing though??/

Personally, first rock single of the yr goes to little sister and dakota. but little sister is one of the weaker track from QOTSA's album.

Currently, listening to Sweetheart my drunk by the mighty J Buckley.

True if a broadsheet popular music journo gives something high marks it is likely to be pretentious shite

Zozzy - yup, you'd be right there, Athlete's singles this year have been fantastic. I was struggling last night to think of singles from this year....Wires is superb & their album is great. Feeder have released some good stuff as well, their album is very good too. Wires would have to be the single of the year so far for me.

This morning,from my very cosmopolitan extreme metal collection:

Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve...Ecofascist Black Metal from Portland,Oregan.

Nokturnal Mortum - Nechrist.....Dodgy politics,but excellent symphonic Black Metal from the Ukraine.

Katatonia - Discouraged Ones....Epic Death/Doom from Sweden.

Darkthrone - Hate Them...All hail,the kings of Norwegian Black Metal

Going through a bit of a U2 stage at the minute... Unforgettable Fire... Dont know if its connected, but I kept my job too :D Thanks to all those who wished me well :D

Caj

Back