What Are You Listening To Now?

Cream are an amazing band - IMO Clapton's reputation as a guitarist has only ever been justified with them - his work with The Yardbirds was competent "British Blues" but nothing outstanding and his work since Cream has had odd flashes of excellence, but rarely based on his guitar work.

Add in Bruce's mesmerizing bass and Baker's fairly manic, stomping, crashing drums and you have a match made in heaven. :D :D

White Room is the best (studio) example of this.

Would certainly agree with your feelings about Jack Bruce.

Reservations about Baker's drumming and I like some of Clapton's later stuff.

I have one album where he does some updated Cream stuuf and I have to say the room starts wobbling!! :shy:

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jul 7 2006, 08:38 AM
Reservations about Baker's drumming
What sort of reservations? That he seems to be playing an entirely different song half the time? I quite like that - gives it a nice jazz feel. :D

:D :lol: I think you've probaly got in one, Simmo.

Even in the best jazz improvisations there is a framework and discipline, not sure Ginge had that.

And of course the problem with "super" groups, and the one that almost inevitably leads to to a split, the inability to bury egos.

the star that burns brightest etc etc....

On a slightly different note - I am having strange urges to obtain some Smallfaces on CD.

Does anyone know of a Greatest Hits album which contains their Decca hits as well as their Immediate stuff? (and won't cost me £20).

I just bought Nickelback's 'Silver Side Up' CD and found there was a DVD included in the sleeve. From the bio notes, they seem rather nice - but then, they're Canadian, so there's more chance of that happening.

Each to their own, dearie - I have formed no opinion as I haven't heard it all yet. I bought it because I like their lyrics and I like 'Remind Me' a lot, I just haven't heard all the choons they're set to. I think you've probably made a SLIGHT overstatement there, though. I think the dreary Travis, the overrated Richard Ashcroft mob and the high-pitched squealing of The House Martins, might also line up in the stalls. And while two's hardly a band, the migraine-inducing White Stripes, once you've got over the cute idea that they're mutant siblings, are wearingly, thuddingly, dull. And... :lol:

Missed it tonight, but hope to catch the rest of the programme. Quite useful having all those ex-WC In-ger-land flags to wave, innit?

A Good Heart - Fergal Sharkey.

I had not heard this song in ages, but pulled out my "Best of the 80's" cd which had this song on it. It still remains my favourite.

A shame Uncle Fergal did not age with grace though.

Back