What Are You Listening To Now?

Originally posted by Homer J+Jul 30 2006, 11:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Homer J @ Jul 30 2006, 11:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Euronymous@Jul 30 2006, 08:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Latefortheraces
@Jul 30 2006, 04:11 PM
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations.

What`s it like, as good as Absolution?

The best band in the world....The Mars Volta....release their new album Amputechure on August 22nd. It`s been leaked and i`ve downloaded a copy, looks very promising and is strongly recommended.
Euro,

what kind of sound do Mars Volta make? I have heard other people say they are v good, but have heard none of their music. [/b][/quote]
The best description i`ve come across is from their page at Last FM

The Mars Volta is an American musical group founded by Cedric Bixler Zavala and Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez. They are generally considered rock, with heavy punk, prog and Latin influences. They are known for their wild live shows, extensive jams, cryptic lyrics and experimentation in, and use of, ambient music, to help establish mood

Here`s the opening track of their `05 album Frances The Mute:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...44A37AF01784835

Does nobody, but nobody, on here ever listen to Earl Klugh or Robert Cray? (Low Ride and Strong Persuader as starters, respectively.) One of my Lingfield colleagues is a guitar player and buff (I've just loaned him my Satrianis for a long drive he has to make) and he said he loved Klugh - was amazed I'd heard of him. I had all of his stuff on cassette but haven't yet bought it back on CD - must make amends soon.

Counting Crows are really dull. Will, I agree about Ryan Adams who is excellent. Such a shame Jeff Buckley isn't making music anymore. He had some great songs and an amazing voice. His version of Hallelujah is heartbreaking.

Maybe his follow up to Grace would be poor... you never know. I sincerely doubt it but it could have been, certain songs from sketches for my sweetheart the drunk showed a change of direction...Why did he go for that swim????

Its quite cool that he has a cult following and his debut LP would be in the folklore for a while yet. Look at it this way, any half decent new male 'singer song writer's new album still gets measured against his, with many reviewers writing this and that reminded you of Buckley etc.

He sets a fine benchmark. I loved Sketches for my Sweetheart - as you say, as interesting hint at new direction on there.

Originally posted by Euronymous+Jul 30 2006, 09:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Euronymous @ Jul 30 2006, 09:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Latefortheraces@Jul 30 2006, 04:11 PM
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations.
What`s it like, as good as Absolution?

[/b][/quote]
!!!Things you have to do here. I'll go and find it, play it and provide my expert opinion :shy:

Currently on!!!!!!

F.E.A.R. - Ian Brown

Hello Goodbye - Beatles

Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp

Valerie - Zutons

Love Spreads - Stone Roses

Losing A Friend - Cardigans

Creque Alley - Mamas and the Papas

I Don't Mind - Buzzcocks

Homely Girl - Chi-Lites

Praise You - Fatboy Slim

Nature Boy - George Benson

Reward - Teardrop Explodes

I have been recently to some good concerts in the beach

Solomon Burke and Bill Wyman and his band were both impressive.

I know he`s a pure tosser and has been for a number of years, but i`ve been re-discovering the early works of Elton John over the last couple of months or so. My parents were big fans back in the 70s so i grew up listening to his early stuff. As a singer/songwriter he was without peer imo.

Tomorrow, Matthew, I shall be listening to the Puppini Sisters' 1940s-50s retro harmonics. I'm pleased and proud to say that they're Brightonians. I've also bought CDs by Ali Farka Toure (steady how you go there) and Khaled Sahra. The cover notes that Toure is 'the king of the desert blues singers' so I'm hoping to be impressed.

Screeching seagulls...

Funny, seeing the reference to Pink Floyd there - I just found two of Mum's very old cassettes - 'Meddle' and 'The Final Cut'. They're bootleg copies made in Indonesia, sold incredibly cheaply in their thousands in the Middle East in the 1970s-80s. The chances are they're easily 25 years old, and she wants me to buy her a radio/cassette player so she can hear them. I'm not sure they even make cassette players any more? :blink:

Originally posted by krizon@Aug 3 2006, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure they even make cassette players any more? :blink:
They do. You can probably pick up a cheap radio/cassette player for a tenner, add nother ten-spot to that and you'd probably be able to find one with a CD player as well.

Meddle is a stupendous piece of work (Floyd's finest IMO) but The Final Cut should only be listened to if you are suicidal and wish to depress yourself further.

Back