What Are You Listening To Now?

They Might Be Giants have a new album out called "The Else" - top quality, especially "Withered Hope". Following review from The Village Voice...

"I have this theory that all rock greats (the Stones, Van Morrison, etc.) have a golden period of about eight years wherein every album is a classic, before a Goat's Head Soup or a Period of Transition breaks the spell and things are never quite right again. They Might Be Giants, it must be said, are totally screwing with my theory—not only isn't there a duff disc in their canon, but their 12th, The Else, is as tuneful and rockin' as all the rest, from the withering "I'm Impressed" to the female-empowerment anthem "Take Out the Trash." Adding to the fun, the Johns Flansburgh and Linnell make righteous use of kicking drummer Marty Beller and add scratching from the (so-old-they're-new-again) Dust Brothers, who produced. The Lennon-like(!) ballad "Be Careful What You Pack" is a gem, too—gloriously melodic, dusted with toy piano, and a splendid complement to the power-pop funny-bone-tickler "Cap'm." ("Did you say/What I thought you said/My hat looks good on me?/I agree.") Shouldn't these guys have dropped a dog by now? Well, that golden-period thing was only a theory, anyway."

TMBG

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jul 21 2007, 09:30 PM
A classic of its generation :D - Tiffany's original version of "I Think We're Alone Now" is on air on Virgin radio at the moment!
Before your time I know :eek: but 'I Think We're Alone Now' was a hit for Tommy James & the Shondells in 1967. Written by the man who wrote 'Mony Mony'.

Currently listening to anything or everything by The Police - as I am going to see them at Twickenham on Saturday night! :clap:

PJ Harvey is the best female artist to have come out of England by a long long way. A million times better than the likes of Tunstall, Dido, etc....White Chalk isnt party music, only heard it twice but should be a 'grower'.

Originally posted by Will@Sep 25 2007, 06:13 AM
PJ Harvey is the best female artist to have come out of England by a long long way. A million times better than the likes of Tunstall, Dido, etc....White Chalk isnt party music, only heard it twice but should be a 'grower'.
Totally. I`ve been a fan since Rid of Me.

Tunstall and Dido do nothing for me, but i was listening to Radio 1 at work last night and i nearly gagged at the appalling Katie Melua or whatever she`s called. Does this bint write her own lyrics? She needs to stop or sack whoever does. Awful.

1419609.jpg

PJ Harvey is the best female artist to have come out of England by a long long way.

err...i dont usually look at this thread and music is very subjective but Amy is an exceptional talent bordering on the brilliant. Takes alot for me to say that....

Like all the finest singers you feel the intelligence and wit. Also the finest simply do not overstate (think Holliday, Sinatra). Her first album had a dismal soulless production but Back to Black is superb of course

Originally posted by clivex@Oct 5 2007, 03:09 PM
PJ Harvey is the best female artist to have come out of England by a long long way.

err...i dont usually look at this thread and music is very subjective but Amy is an exceptional talent bordering on the brilliant. Takes alot for me to say that....

Like all the finest singers you feel the intelligence and wit. Also the finest simply do not overstate (think Holliday, Sinatra). Her first album had a dismal soulless production but Back to Black is superb of course
Give her time to release more albums and see if she has staying power

Give her time to release more albums and see if she has staying power

Shes not a fckng novice chaser :rant:

Key is that with her intelligence and delivery (she has a beautifuly lazy voice ...like a new orleans second line i always think) she could carry any material (so long as the idiotic and disasterous production of the first album isnt replicated)

I can see her prodcuing a stunning intimate album

Theres a lot more to come...

Back