What Are You Listening To Now?

I wouldn't argue with that.

X-Factor is more entertaining to sit infront of the TV on a Saturday night though!

To cut a long story short, I managed at last (after a number of years thinking about doing so) to identify the music supporting the John Burton Race culinery soap 'French Leave'.

Its called 'THE BACKGAMMON CLUB'. Absolutely superb backgroundmusic.

MR2

The Kills Artist Radio on Spotify: The Kills, PJ Harvey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Raveonettes, Black Keys, BRMC, Peaches, Raconteurs, Le Tigre, Santogold, The Virgins, Metric, Joy Division, Cold War Kids, Sonic Youth, Cat Power, Tegan and Sara, Last Shadow Puppets and Beck.

Went to see Show of Hands at Southwell Minster last night, so have been playing their stuff all night. Also heard last night that Southwell have, during their folk festival, lots of morris dancers. Oh joy; I just love morris dancing. Seeing Bellowhead in a couple of weeks as well, so am definately going through a folky phase.

I went to a White Lies gig last night. Expectations were fairly low as nothing in their albulms has ever particularly excited me, but it was excellent. One of the best produced gigs I've been to; lights, sound, crowd, everything. Even their songs had some energy :)

Definitely worth seeing live if you get chance.

Read a very complimentary review of a CD by The Elbow - never 'eard of 'em. Are they any good - supposedly 'contemplative, souful' lyrics, etc.?

(Is the name a marketing ploy? As in, what to give 'em for Christmas? Why, give 'em The Elbow! Boom-boom.)

Saw a documentary about Ronnie Lane a couple of years ago..he had so many far reaching ideas and lived in all sorts of communey things. Seemed a much loved and respected person, and sad that he suffered from MS for 20 years of his life. I don't play a lot of the music from my youth but do like a quick blast of Small Faces sometimes..in fact, may do so this afternoon. Itchycoo Park being a particular favourite. Agree about his voice. As for Elbow; find them very boring I'm afraid.

Well, will give them the elbow before I bother to buy, then, Moehat. Always like to hear of interesting new bands/singers. Any genre considered, provided it's not just a knock-off of someone else. I might see what I think of Cee-Lo Green - read an article on him in last week's Big Issue and he seems interesting.

Elbow on Jools Holland Tuesday night. The latest P J Harvey is very good. Can't find any decent new stuff to listen to these days which may be an age thing, but my kids seem to feel the same way as well. I do love it when I get some new music and can't wait to play it [which I do constantly till I get fed up; this can take days, weeks or, in the case of the last Kasabian, months].

Last edited:
Thanks, Moe, will have a listen in - Jools is great for putting up newbies. I remember him hosting The White Stripes on their tv showing, thinking them very talented but a bit po-faced!

Can't find any decent new stuff to listen to these days which may be an age thing, but my kids seem to feel the same way as well.

It's only April but there have been three fantastic records released already this year. The PJ Harvey you mentioned, the new Radiohead and the latest Blue aus Nord. The latter may not be to most people's tastes however.

I don't think age has owt to do with it nowadays, not with the Internet making it a lot easier to discover new music.

Blut aus Nord; like going back 40 odd years and listening to early Pink Floyd, perhaps? Very dark! Trouble with the internet is knowing where to look for new stuff. Saw a website called The Word which had a good music section.

The Kills new album is out today - my all time favourite band - I might even trot into town and buy an actual CD copy in a bit, how novel!

Yes, I suppose collecting CDs is now a bit like having racks of vinyl - everyone just downloads to their iPhones or whatever it's called today (as against 24 hours ago, such is the pace of communication's evolution). But I don't know how you share music with friends if you don't have CD players? Do you still buy speakers the size of a bus and plug the iPhones into those, or are they also now matchbox-size? How do you party if everyone's just got phone downloads?

Plugging my surround sound system into my phone is exactly the same as plugging the headphones in - a 3.5mm jack.

A bit scary when you get a text or an email though!

Back