What Are You Listening To Now?

Not a bad year for new albums:

**** Buttons - Slow Focus
Grant Hart (ex Husker Du) - The Argument
Deerhunter - Monomania
Yo La Tengo - Fade
Alice in Chains - The Devil Puts Dinosaurs Here

All worth a listen or two.

Acquired Deezer a few weeks back. Listening to all manner of sh*t these days.

I'm currently on a 70's tip, which means:

The Damned
Hot Chocolate
Gerry Rafferty
Ian Dury
Abba
The Sweet
Sex Pistols
Pussycat
The Who
Neil Diamond
Mud
Slade
The Undertones
Barry Manilow
Lynryd Skynyrd
Secret Affair
Steely Dan
ELO
Billy Joel
David Bowie
Fleetwood Mac
Elvis (Presley and Costello)

I cannot recommend it highly enough. :cool:

For a bunch of art-house muso wanks, that 'Right Action' by Franz Ferdinand on Jools just now, was pretty handy.

I need to listen to it again but the new Woodkid album sounds good; and I'm looking forward to hearing the new Midlake one. What does anyone make of that all girl band Haim [sp]? Can't help but feel that, if they were blokes no one would pay any attention to them at all. Will check out Franz Ferdinand on iplayer; I've always liked them. Midlake were on the radio the other day and played 'Entangled' by Genesis, something I'd never heard before [never was a Genesis fan].

Didn't like any of the five. :o
I acknowledge tho', that music is a matter of personal taste.

("Going To California" ? Hope the bint stays there and stays silent. Sounded like a cow calving to me).

Well none of it is miserable music is it? Dont quite get that though Irene Kral has the sweetest voice

Last edited:
Rock lobster. Was that theirs ? Remeber that. They reminded me of the rezillos who I saw a couple of times back in the day

LOL, "Goo Goo Muck" live at the Mudd Club. :lol:

Good ol' Rockabilly Punk. Lux Interior (RIP) is ripping it up here. Poison Ivy is/was a babe.
As for muscianship tho', well .................. best not comment.
Anyone remember another one of theirs which charted in the UK -- "Can Your Pussy Do The Dog"? :D

Bought the new Manics cd, mainly because it has Cate le Bon on it [I like her]. Just look on them as an almost folk band these days. Also the new Kings of Leon and Arctic Monkeys; listened to them once but keep going back to Woodkids 'The Golden Age' which I keep playing over and over again. Haven't liked anything as much since Alt J. Love his videos as well. Also talk of Stevie Winwood reminded me of the documentary about him, so going to check out the John Barleycorn cd on utube.

The energy in James's voice on the first 4 albums is what really does it for me, The rawness in From Despair To Where just isn't there these days, I know bands have to evolve but did they have to turn so wimpy??

Plenty of it on Journal For Plague Lovers; All Is Vanity a particular fav.

My favourite 'raw' vocal of his is Mausoleum off Holy Bible; just relentless, I'm sure I can hear him gasping for air by the end of the bridge (i.e. the last "obliterates your meaning").

The energy in James's voice on the first 4 albums is what really does it for me, The rawness in From Despair To Where just isn't there these days, I know bands have to evolve but did they have to turn so wimpy??

I lost interest in them when they didn't see through their promise to disband after their first album.

Liars!

Back