What are you watching

I do recall Armchair Theatre and will check it out. Never think of looking at the listings for Talking Pictures - Like I never used to check ITV 3 until G G was kind enough to mention that Scott & Bailey was been shown on there featuring Suranne Jones.

There are a few good people on here which makes it just about worthwhile bothering with :)

I gather they are bringing back a new series of Life on Mars which could prove interesting. They will tie up the loose ends from both that and Ashes to Ashes.

They FINALLY showed Where Eagles Dare yesterday!! Yeeaaay.

Talkinpictures have some classics.

Quiz was good although I have read it is much too sympathetic towards the Ingrams...look forward to finding out Michael Sheen is brill as usual

Wolf Hall being re-shown on BBC4, 2 episodes a night at 10.00pm.

They FINALLY showed Where Eagles Dare yesterday!! Yeeaaay.

Talkinpictures have some classics.

Quiz was good although I have read it is much too sympathetic towards the Ingrams...look forward to finding out Michael Sheen is brill as usual

Wolf Hall being re-shown on BBC4, 2 episodes a night at 10.00pm.

Where Eagles Dare is a classic. Broadsword calling Danny boy!

Broadsword calling Danny Boy!! A hole is a hole is a hole!.
It is a classic - never get bored of watching it. I was only bemoaning the fact with neighbours on Sunday how dreadful the tele has been the last few weeks when they have captive audiences and could show some classic films and WED had not been on.
Someone I used to work with also loves this film and he and I message each other, Broadsword calling .......to let each other know when it is on.

Enjoyed 'Quiz' tonight. Part 2 tomorrow and concludes on Wednesday.

Though it did remind me of how ridiculously addicted I was to it back in the day - Great to see it back with occasional shows like the recent one. And I must say that even though I wanted Tarrant back at the helm, Clarkson does a great job as host.

Very good. Mcfadyen who plays the army bloke was excellent in Ripper Street. Another fantastic series.

Started Ozark at the weekend. Highly recommended.

Where Eagles Dare is one of those films I just have to watch every time it's on (which is every other week).

Red River is another ("There are only two things more beautiful than a good gun: a Swiss watch or a woman from anywhere.")

I watch Talking Pictures a lot. Some really enjoyable films and TV series. The original Special Branch with Fulton Mackay and Derren Nesbitt was excellent. 95% taut dialogue to convey the intrigue. Also, I'm trying to watch The Rogues (David Niven, Charles Boyer and Gig Young) which, I presume, inspired films like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

I'm kinda fortunate at the moment as I've accumulated a collection of about 2000 DVD's over time - so there's always something there to watch again - but Where Eagles Dare is one of my favourites.

Grew up devouring Alistair MacLean books - so Guns of Navarone is another favourite. Always thought it was a shame no one made a film of his first book HMS Ulysses - classic fiction.

Love Guns Of Navarone but but but but...did no one think to change the script where Peck's character says to Niven's character....."well son your bystanding days are over, you're in it now, up to your neck" cos Peck was 45 and Niven 51!!!!
If you can get hold of Barry Norman's book The Film Greats, a fabulous read with a chapter devoted to Niven, it's a great read.

Love Ripper Street too - and in a similar ish genre, Whitechapel, also brilliant.

It worries me that I'm listening to The Mirror and the Light on catchup book at bedtime to help me to sleep, because I find it a welcome escape from what's going on now. I'm glad Wolf Hall is being repeated.

For war films I'm partial to "The Cruel Sea" starring Jack Hawkins, and bought the dvd long ago. I've seen that and "Wild Geese" quite a few times along with "Where Eagles Dare".

It worries me that I'm listening to The Mirror and the Light on catchup book at bedtime to help me to sleep, because I find it a welcome escape from what's going on now. I'm glad Wolf Hall is being repeated.

Is there some way I can listen to this not on an APP please? Anton Lesser reads the first four books by C J Samson about Shardlake, and he is absolutely brilliant.

For war films I'm partial to "The Cruel Sea" starring Jack Hawkins, and bought the dvd long ago. I've seen that and "Wild Geese" quite a few times along with "Where Eagles Dare".

The Cruel Sea , produced by Barry Normans' father, is a fabulous film, as is In Which We Serve. One of the best war films and indeed films of all time is A Matter Of Life And Death. If you have never seen it, do it now. Sheer genius.
Can watch A Bridge Too Far over and over as well.

Is there some way I can listen to this not on an APP please? Anton Lesser reads the first four books by C J Samson about Shardlake, and he is absolutely brilliant.

I just logged onto BBC catchup book at bedtime on my ipad [I'm afraid I'm not very technical]. I've also had an email recommending more audio books.

Oh okay thank you , I will give it a go. I failed to read Wolf Hall...tried to stay with it to about half way but just could not get on with her style of writing.... have promised myself I would go back to it at some point. Currently in my brother's garage 90 miles away so not happening soon :( The television series was brilliant however. Mark Rylance using the Michael Kitchen style of acting as Foyle, less is more.

It was mentioned again on R4; it just said to log onto the app for BBC Sounds. There was actually a good comedy about lockdown on R4 just now which cheered me up immensely as it's getting to me a bit now. I can't read heavy stuff anymore so I was going to give audio books ago before this crisis kicked in anyway. Can't believe that I'm so excited about the final of University Challenge next Monday.

I found it thank you so much - fell asleep listening to it last night but on the couch! Woke up at 1.30 just to hear the death scene - sorry spoiler alert!!! :)

There was a good spoof on Radio 4 last Monday about Richard 111 taking the throne. I'm very fond of Dickie 3 but bits of it were quite funny.

Last edited:
I've never really listened to R4 before; even listened to The Archers for the first time today. I'm hoping The Call of the Wild is on catchup still; one of my favourite books from childhood. I actually skipped to the last episode of TMATL a while back just in case it came off catchup. I don't listen to it in it's proper order anyway; it's pot luck which episode I find. Me and the dog crash out on the sofa most nights; she's not allowed upstairs so we compromise by staying on the sofa!

If you start at episode one it automatically rolls over into the next one and just keeps going unless you stop it.
I listen to Desert Island Discs depending who the guest is, and used to listen to Just A Minute as that was a regular car journey for a while, do flick in the car and sometime stick with it.
I wish I could fall asleep once in bed.. was watching tele until 5 this morning until all the teleshopping kicked in...up at 7.30 for work as needed to log in for 7.45 as have to do a certain amount of hours for the money but could have been earlier... :( When I had my cat was the same, she wasn't allowed in the bedroom. :)

I usually fall asleep watching BBC4 [my favourite tv channel]. I need to have something to stop my mind racing.

If anyone likes really weird Scandinavian stuff there was a film called Border on Film4 last night; it's still on catchup. A bit Eraserhead meetsPans Labyrinth'ish. Certainly took my mind off lockdown etc...[be warned; it is VERY weird....]

Not into weird Scandi stuff but loved Pan’s Labyrinth.
Just watched the double header of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang followed by Oliver. Easy way to while away the time in front of the fire!

Back