2000 Guineas

Originally posted by sunybay@May 3 2008, 01:03 PM
New Approach looks solid for me
Agree suny, overbet though imo and now getting even shorter, so adding couple of quid lay to the back

wish New Approach would get a move on and get to the start, my heart is racing 30 to the dozen and im running out of toilet roll.

Plan a total no-hoper in my book, only there for tactical reasons

After looking at the paddock - TV only - I was very taken by Stimulation
He looks very fit and powerful and if anything is going to spring a surprise I think it would be this one
Right, Good Luck all - and may they all come back safe

Originally posted by SteveM@May 2 2008, 11:17 AM

New Approach should prove a natural at 12 furlongs. Like I said before he'll have to be in the mould of a Nashwan or Nijinsky to excel at both distances. Then again maybe he is. He looks very good to me. I've spent a long while looking for alternatives, but sometimes the obvious is staring you in the face.

I still think Henrythenavigator is a bit of value to surprise him though.
:clap: Played

New Approach would have got back up in another stride! Feel gutted, glad I didn't go now
:cry:
Incredible silence on Ch4 - they sounded utterly stunned
As they just said, amazing number of horses beaten a long way out
Hope you managed to lay off some, Chris

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 3 2008, 03:36 PM
Fantastic race. Never rated Henrythenavigator but look how far they've pulled clear.
Looked at him last week and it was obvious he`d improve for decent ground, but couldn`t justify backing him at the prices.

Terrible ride from Fortune on RP.

not sure what tactical reason Plan would have been used for Headstrong...fav was always going to lead

well done to the O'Brien team again...great ride by Murtagh

Perfect ride by Manning on the favourite too, just beaten by a great turn of foot.

After the poor showing of Ravens Pass you'd have to fancy New Approach for whichever Derby he runs in.

Originally posted by EC1@May 3 2008, 03:39 PM
not sure what tactical reason Plan would have been used for Headstrong...fav was always going to lead

Agreed entirely EC1 ~ he wasn't an obvious winner, but was clearly there on his merits.

Originally posted by denisco_uk@May 3 2008, 03:41 PM
Perfect ride by Manning on the favourite too, just beaten by a great turn of foot.

After the poor showing of Ravens Pass you'd have to fancy New Approach for whichever Derby he runs in.
You mean Ibn Khaldoun, surely?

Manning and Murtagh both gave each of their horses top class rides. Another stride and the result would have been reversed.

Nope Headstrong i didnt lay off as was interested in making money.

Oh well nevermind had the value, disappointing run.

Great race to watch mind. Gutsy winner and 2nd.

I somehow wonder when Godolphin will scrap this take everything to Dubai in the winter malarky, dont think they have won anything early season since they have started it.

Thats not looking for excuses, he was beat by better horses but it has to be questioned.

Well done those who backed the winner.

You have to wonder how Stubbs Art got beat off 87 in a hcp, or was it a case of this not being a vintage Guineas by any strength of the imagination.

Originally posted by rorydelargy+May 3 2008, 02:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rorydelargy @ May 3 2008, 02:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EC1@May 3 2008, 03:39 PM

Agreed entirely EC1 ~ he wasn't an obvious winner, but was clearly there on his merits. [/b][/quote]
Oh come on Rory, Plan was 5th fto and beat nothing in his only other race, having a Topspeed of 51!!
How on earth does that entitle him run in a Guineas?

Agreed it was a great training and riding performance for Ballydoyle - but not at all what I wanted to see :what:

Originally posted by SteveM@May 2 2008, 11:17 AM
New Approach should prove a natural at 12 furlongs. Like I said before he'll have to be in the mould of a Nashwan or Nijinsky to excel at both distances. Then again maybe he is. He looks very good to me. I've spent a long while looking for alternatives, but sometimes the obvious is staring you in the face.

I still think Henrythenavigator is a bit of value to surprise him though.

Thanks Blazing Walker.

My heart goes out to New Approach, who I feel deserved it. But if one was going to surprise him it was always going to be Henrythenavigator (who I’ve backed at 20s, 16s and 12s). Great ride from Murtagh. The first and second both got the mile well and were much superior to the rest. Shame Fast Company didn’t make the line up. Shame Shamardal (instead of Dubawi) didn’t make the line up when Footstepsinthesand won.

Plan was hardly unusual then given the already numerous number of maiden winners in the field.

As a son of Storm Cat out of a Breeders' Cup Distaff winner, I'm sure they haven't consigned him to pacemaker duties already!

Originally posted by Headstrong+May 3 2008, 03:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Headstrong @ May 3 2008, 03:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rorydelargy@May 3 2008, 02:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-EC1
@May 3 2008, 03:39 PM

Agreed entirely EC1 ~ he wasn't an obvious winner, but was clearly there on his merits.
Oh come on Rory, Plan was 5th fto and beat nothing in his only other race, having a Topspeed of 51!!
How on earth does that entitle him run in a Guineas?

Agreed it was a great training and riding performance for Ballydoyle - but not at all what I wanted to see :what: [/b][/quote]
Headstrong ~ your argument was that Plan was running for tactical reasons and that he had no place in the race. There could be no tactical angle, as has been argued. He won his maiden at Leopardstown impressively by 5 1/2 lengths earning a Timeform rating of 97p (a higher rating than Stubbs Art at the same stage btw). His topspeed figure is utterly irrelevant, and doesn't bear mentioning. I'm not suggesting for a second that he came into the race with strong claims, merely that he was there to run on his merits, which he clearly did. Your apparent refusal to accept that is puzzling.

Serious damage one there.Manning did everything right-in my opinion anyone who disagrees is talking through their pocket.Backed the 3rd win only at 300s.

Took 12s Henry the other evening and managed to resist the temptation to go in heavily on the favourite as I couldn't get 2/1. Nice bit of good fortune for me in that respect but New Approach has run a brilliant Derby trial.

Originally posted by rorydelargy+May 3 2008, 01:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rorydelargy @ May 3 2008, 01:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-denisco_uk@May 3 2008, 03:41 PM

You mean Ibn Khaldoun, surely? [/b][/quote]
No, i meant the Craven form took a hit, the run of Twice Over doesn't look quite as good now.

Before the race I fancied New Approach for the Irish Derby, and I think he's ran a great trial for it here. I'd be surprised if he was beaten there.

Rory agreed I couldn't see what tactical purpose Plan would serve!
But I couldn't see what possible point there was running him in the race either given they had superior horses

He finished 8th which isn't bad so I suppose the point that several one-time winners in the race shows it's worth running them, however lowly the race they've won. I personally can't see the point, if you have a much better horse in the race, giving an inexperienced colt such a hard race so early in the season unless you have a pretty good chance of placing. They are of course running in different colours, but I'm never sure how much that means!

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@May 3 2008, 03:23 PM
Took 12s Henry the other evening and managed to resist the temptation to go in heavily on the favourite as I couldn't get 2/1. Nice bit of good fortune for me in that respect but New Approach has run a brilliant Derby trial.
Didn't Bolger state the other day in the post that he was training New Approach for the english and Irish guineas as a pose to the derby? Otherwise I agree I think with a smooth preperation he could make a very good derby winner.

Back