2000 Guineas

Imagine if Coolmore had sent Rock of Gibralter to Longchamp and just had Hawk Wing for Newmarket.

C`mon boys in blue put Rio and Ibn in the race - the Poulins is a Group 2 race in all but name anyway.

Strange decision considering that there must be a possibility that the way the race could very well be run- slow early pace, sprint to the line- would be all against Rio De La Plata.

Ibn Khaldun clearly rated the better prospect though at this point it seems.

Suppose they were dissapointing alright but both Literato and Creachadoir were severely disadvantaged by the way the Duty Free was run and Jalil had no right to get anywhere near Curlin (or even Premium Tap for that matter). West Wind in the Sheema and Diabolical in the sprint were dissapointing as well.

What did you make of Archipenko Gal?

I suppose he ran well, but the race looks hard to get a handle of. He does not look the most trustworthy of sorts though he has clearly done well for his new connections this year in Dubai.

Originally posted by trackside528@Mar 29 2008, 06:49 PM
Strange decision considering that there must be a possibility that the way the race could very well be run- slow early pace, sprint to the line- would be all against Rio De La Plata.

Ibn Khaldun clearly rated the better prospect though at this point it seems.
I can`t see them going slow early, not if the field is a decent enough size. It`s funny, when i read that Fast Company hadn`t pleased them at home i perked up thinking Rio was more likely to run. Seems not.

In the Racing Post today Godolphin say they will not be having their usual trials this year, instead the horses will gallop as they know what they have this year already unlikely recent seasons.

O’Brien states he has four possibles for the Guineas, Jupiter Pluvius, Henrythenavigator, Plan and the unraced Zulu Chief.

Thursday April 10, 2008
The Guardian

Between them, Sir Michael Stoute, Aidan O'Brien and Godolphin have been responsible for nine of the last dozen 2,000 Guineas winners. As the countdown to the 200th running of the Newmarket Classic got under way with a preview lunch at the Rowley Mile yesterday, it was clear that the powerful trio would provide serious opposition to the Jim Bolger-trained favourite, New Approach, on May 3.
A bout of flu kept O'Brien at his Ballydoyle base, but the four-times Guineas-winning trainer delivered an upbeat bulletin by phone about his main hope for the Classic, Jupiter Pluvius, and hinted at an unraced colt who could yet work his way into contention.

"Jupiter Pluvius is on target at the moment. He worked this morning and went well," said O'Brien. "Last year a lot of our two-year-olds weren't good enough in the top races. We had a lull in mid-season and had to back off them. By the end of the season we had run out of time, but it was important we didn't do them any damage."
Jupiter Pluvius, a 10-1 shot with the Guineas sponsors Stan James, won his only two starts, beating Famous Name in a Group 3 event at Leopardstown in October. Famous Name did that form no harm when running away with last Sunday's 2,000 Guineas Trial at Leopardstown.

Plan, a Leopardstown maiden winner, could enter calculations and, intriguingly, O'Brien singled out the unraced Zulu Chief for special mention. "He will run in a maiden race at the Craven meeting next week," said the trainer.

Although Listen has been ruled out of the 1,000 Guineas - "she should be fine for the second half of the season" - O'Brien is hopeful that either Savethisdanceforme or Kitty Matcham will measure up to the required standard on May 4.

Speaking from Dubai, Simon Crisford said that Godolphin's "big guns" were on course to arrive in Newmarket on April 24 or 25. Ibn Khaldun, currently third-favourite for the 2,000 Guineas, is the standard bearer. "He is really pleasing us," said Crisford. "But Fast Company doesn't show very much. We hope it is just laziness, as we know he is a very good horse." Second to New Approach in last season's Dewhurst, Fast Company would not want the ground too fast on Guineas day, Crisford added.

Sir Michael Stoute, sharing a table with fellow Newmarket trainer Luca Cumani, nominated Shadeed in 1985 as his most memorable Guineas winner: "Because Lester [Piggott, who partnered Shadeed] would not ride Bairn [who finished second] and that really pissed Luca off."

Stoute, who later admitted that King's Best, the 2000 winner, was his top Guineas horse - "he and Zilzal were the best milers I've trained" - will rely on Confront next month, with a run at next week's Craven meeting or at Newbury planned beforehand. However Tartan Bearer, a full brother to Stoute's 2001 Guineas winner Golan, is expected to miss the race.

It is 32 years since Henry Cecil last won the 2,000 Guineas and yesterday he was not making any wild predictions about his entrants, Twice Over and Kandahar Run. "Both have to prove themselves," he said. "Twice Over is by a sire [Observatory] no one wants to know, so we'll see. But I quite believe he has the speed for a mile."

Sir Mark Prescott, who sent out Confidential Lady to finish second in the 1,000 Guineas two years ago, will be a spectator next month but he reckons Newmarket has the winner of the fillies' Classic in James Fanshawe's Spacious. "She looks very well and I think her form is good," was the verdict of one of the shrewdest brains in the business.

Gosden is sounds positively bullish about Raven's Pass. Sounds like he has wintered just as they hoped. The New Approach camp appears to be very quiet.

I had a little e/w on plan a while ago, glad to see he got a mention from Ap, he looks and is bred to be a Guineas horse.

Obviously I meant AO'B :shy: But who knows maybe Ap someday.

No I haven't seen him in the flesh. The way he is bred and his general profile, ie. the way he has been managed makes me think he may be one for the Guineas. At 159/1 I thought he was worth an investment. I thought quite a few of the 2 yr olds where well exposed last year so i couldn't have them. With J'burg gone to Argentina and Storm cat firing blanks there is room in the sheds for a replacement for their respective lines.

Craven entries:

Alexander Castle (USA) 3.c
Alfathaa 3.c
City Leader (IRE) 3.c
Confront 3.c
Declaration of War (IRE) 3.c
Fr Dominic (USA) 3.c
Great Rumpuscat (USA) 3.c
Indian Skipper (IRE) 3.c
Internationaldebut (IRE) 3.c
Mut'ab (USA) 3.c
Perfect Stride 3.c
Raven's Pass (USA) 3.c
Red Alert Day 3.c
Red Eye Express (IRE) 3.c
River Proud (USA) 3.c
Scintillo 3.c
The Bogberry (USA) 3.c
Twice Over 3.c
Zulu Chief (USA) 3.c

by Andrew Scutts

WINKER WATSON, 10-1 fifth favourite with the sponsors for the Stanjames.co.uk 2,000 Guineas, was on Saturday evening reported to have "experienced stiffness".

The unbeaten July Stakes winner is owned by The Comic Strip Heroes, whose members include Betfair founder Andrew Black.

Connections contacted the betting exchange on Saturday to report the setback.

A statement on Betfair read: "We would like to inform our customers that the owners of Winker Watson have contacted us to report that the horse has experienced some stiffness today. We will post a further update as and when one is available.

"The 2,000 Guineas ante-post market will remain open, but customers are reminded that all unmatched bets can obviously be cancelled at any stage."

Following the announcement, the Peter Chapple-Hyam-trained colt, who was undefeated in three outings last season, was available to back at 14.5 (13.5-1) at 7.40pm.

Last week, the colt's trainer Peter Chapple-Hyam said Winker Watson was set for a pre-Guineas workout over a mile this week at Newmarket to shed light on his prospects of staying the trip in the Guineas.

The son of Piccolo won all three of his races as a juvenile, two of which came at Group 2 level, but has yet to be tested beyond 6f.

taken from andrew blacks website;

Pete called this morning with the news - they had gone out with Winker and he was moving ‘like an old man’, a bit hunched and sluggish. The vet had indicated that this was a minor problem, but it wasn’t going to stand up to training in the short term and Pete wanted to back off. No-one disagreed. We have said his participation is ‘highly unlikely’ - everything indicates that he won’t get there but we don’t want to rule it out entirely.

I’m not as gutted as I thought I’d be. There were far worse possibilities - this is a minor setback, he’ll be over it in a short time period and it doesn’t look progressive or in any way related to the knee problem that kept him out of the Middle Park last year.

The problem with Rio De La Plata is that its trained by Mr Bin Suroor for Godolphin its the same old story.

Reading between lines today, it seems to me RDP will run at Newmarket and FC will be sent to France.
I still think he is a better horse than IK and his price is a cracking e/w bet.

I sussed it out last year alls you have to do is back all the Godolphin horses that Frankie Dettori doesnt ride and hey presto you can have a good season if they have any winners.

Craven Declarations:

City Leader (IRE) Jamie Spencer
Scintillo Richard Hughes
Alexander Castle (USA) N. Callan
Alfathaa R. Hills
Declaration of War (IRE) Robert Havlin
Great Rumpuscat (USA)
Indian Skipper (IRE) Jimmy Quinn
Perfect Stride Ryan Moore
Raven's Pass (USA) Jimmy Fortune
River Proud (USA) T. Quinn
The Bogberry (USA) J. Murtagh